To QB or to not QB

This isn't hockey dude.

Yes. This + 1000000000. " Tanking" isn't a strategy in football. It's much more difficult to project if a top QB prospect is going to translate to the pro game because the College game is just different. The top Hockey prospect has a greater track record of NHL success than top college QBs in the NFL. You have to identify and draft the right guy and the #1 pick isn't necessarily a key to that.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QB or no QB. Superbowl Winning Quarterbacks:

Montana -4

Bradshaw -4

Brady -4

Aikman-3

Manning, P -2

Manning E-2

Plunkett -2

Griese-2

Staubach-2

Big Ben-2

Elway-2

Starr-2

McMahon-1

Rypien-1

Simms-1

Young-1

Wilson-1

Flacco-1

Brees-1

Rodgers -1

Stabler-1

Johnson-1

Hostetler-1

Dawson-1

Williams-1

Dilfer-1

Theismann-1

Favre-1

Warner-1

Unitas-1

Namath-1

Bills need an elite Franchise QB. Other teams manage to find them. Instead, OBD's goal is to make the wildcard game and when they don't, they keep telling everybody how close they are.

TBR

I have no idea what you are trying to point out here? QB's are a part of the team and win SB's?

I'm trying to point out that, teams have to build around an elite Franchise QB, if they want to win long term. Look at those names and you'll see that 80% are Franchise Type Blue Chip QB's. A few game managers, but not many. If you don't have the Franchise guy, and you haven't made the playoffs in 17 years, perhaps OBD should do whatever it takes to land one. OBD's job, and they haven't done it for the last 17 years is to find him. Most easily done by drafting at, or near the top of the board. That might require a TBR. Otherwise, 20 years looks realistic.

Why does everyone think it's an either or proposition? Nothing is stopping the Biils from keeping TT AND drafting a QB. It seems like the most reasonable strategy. No pressure to start the rookie, if they think they have hit the jackpot, they can trade TT who has a reasonable contract for a mid level starter

Good point. If they don't hit the jackpot, they need to pull the lever again until they do.

I don't disagree that they need to gear up to get a franchise guy but it is a surgical approach. It isn't a situation where you just keep throwing darts and hoping to eventually hit the bullseye. Swinging often severely limits the talent on the rest of your roster. Even if you hit after a few tries you are the Colts. A team that has a franchise QB and one of the worst rosters in football. You need to identify THE guy and get him. You can't waste substantial valuable resources. You can afford a couple of 1sts but no more.

Going back to Johnnie Unitas isnt showing us anything just like going back to Trent Dilfer isnt showing anything.

Rothlisberger 123yds 2 picks and they won doesn't mean --SEE you need a great qb or Brady's 149 in his first super bowl.

Franchise qb's like Elway 10-26-2-108 or 12-22-1-123 I have my franchise qb where's my trophy.

Denver JUST won it with great D and a game manager last year, Seattle great D and a running game two years prior, Baltimore with a great D and Special teams prior to that. Giants and pinning a ball to his helmet catch before that - if he drops it Eli isn't a good qb? He made the kick great qb he missed it bad qb- it's flat out stupid. We want a formula and there isn't one, chasing the great qb. Brees won a super bowl 8 years ago still clinging to it, while the last 5 years hes looking at a 39-40 record, doing that familiar 7-9 thing 4 of the last 5 years - we know as Bills fans so well. Phillip Rivers some think he's going to hall of fame in the last 8 years one season of double digit wins. His career record averages out to 8.8-7.1 Rodgers is fun to watch with an unbelievable arm he has 1 super bowl appearance. Ben Rothlisberger can't beat Brady either. Brady's teams on defense oh they were pretty good for HIS super bowl wins ranking 6-1-2-8 or Rothlisberger 4th and 1st..Manning last year Broncos 1st. I know that doesn't matter. The year Rodgers won GB defense ranking ? 1st Greatest show on Turf Warner 4th the great Brett Farve's only SB win Packers defense rank -1st. Aikman had to do it with a crappy defense ranked 2nd and 5th. Hidden Joe Montana stat 49ers defensive ranking 2-1-3. Giants with Eli had terrible defensive ranked teams but what happened in the games? Greatest offensive scoring team ever held to 17, unbeatable undefeated team held to 14

Edited by CardinalScotts

Montana -4

Bradshaw -4

Brady -4

Aikman-3

Manning, P -2

Manning E-2

Plunkett -2

Griese-2

Staubach-2

Big Ben-2

Elway-2

Starr-2

McMahon-1

Rypien-1

Simms-1

Young-1

Wilson-1

Flacco-1

Brees-1

Rodgers -1

Stabler-1

Johnson-1

Hostetler-1

Dawson-1

Williams-1

Dilfer-1

Theismann-1

Favre-1

Warner-1

Unitas-1

Namath-1

Bills need an elite Franchise QB. Other teams manage to find them. Instead, OBD's goal is to make the wildcard game and when they don't, they keep telling everybody how close they are.

TBR

Agreed. Play this game for a championship or don't bother IMO. With very rare exceptions, a FQB is a necessary piece. It's not sufficient to get you one, but it makes it possible. The real problem this season is finding one. This is a rough QB class, but there may actually be some talent available in FA or via trade.

Going back to Johnnie Unitas isnt showing us anything just like going back to Trent Dilfer isnt showing anything.

Rothlisberger 123yds 2 picks and they won doesn't mean --SEE you need a great qb or Brady's 149 in his first super bowl.

Franchise qb's like Elway 10-26-2-108 or 12-22-1-123 I have my franchise qb where's my trophy.

Denver JUST won it with great D and a game manager last year, Seattle great D and a running game two years prior, Baltimore with a great D and Special teams prior to that. Giants and pinning a ball to his helmet catch before that - if he drops it Eli isn't a good qb? He made the kick great qb he missed it bad qb- it's flat out stupid. We want a formula and there isn't one, chasing the great qb. Brees won a super bowl 8 years ago still clinging to it, while the last 5 years hes looking at a 39-40 record, doing that familiar 7-9 thing 4 of the last 5 years - we know as Bills fans so well. Phillip Rivers some think he's going to hall of fame in the last 8 years one season of double digit wins. His career record averages out to 8.8-7.1 Rodgers is fun to watch with an unbelievable arm he has 1 super bowl appearance. Ben Rothlisberger can't beat Brady either. Brady's teams on defense oh they were pretty good for HIS super bowl wins ranking 6-1-2-8 or Rothlisberger 4th and 1st..Manning last year Broncos 1st. I know that doesn't matter. The year Rodgers won GB defense ranking ? 1st Greatest show on Turf Warner 4th the great Brett Farve's only SB win Packers defense rank -1st. Aikman had to do it with a crappy defense ranked 2nd and 5th. Hidden Joe Montana stat 49ers defensive ranking 2-1-3. Giants with Eli had terrible defensive ranked teams but what happened in the games? Greatest offensive scoring team ever held to 17, unbeatable undefeated team held to 14

So.....you're saying defense wins championships? :D

I totally agree. But, we need consistency at the QB position. TT gets it done, but for most of the games, there's a lot of 3 and outs due to terrible placed balls, inability to see open guys and a lack of balls to try to throw into coverage. Low interceptions is great if you're winning and making good throws. But, holding on to the ball doesn't help either.

Montana -4

Bradshaw -4

Brady -4

Aikman-3

Manning, P -2

Manning E-2

Plunkett -2

Griese-2

Staubach-2

Big Ben-2

Elway-2

Starr-2

McMahon-1

Rypien-1

Simms-1

Young-1

Wilson-1

Flacco-1

Brees-1

Rodgers -1

Stabler-1

Johnson-1

Hostetler-1

Dawson-1

Williams-1

Dilfer-1

Theismann-1

Favre-1

Warner-1

Unitas-1

Namath-1

TBR

Don't have the time or inclination to research how many of these QB's won a SB in their 1st or 2nd season as a starter which is what you think TT should have already done.

Since you do have such time and inclination, can you show us that ?

Don't have the time or inclination to research how many of these QB's won a SB in their 1st or 2nd season as a starter which is what you think TT should have already done.

Since you do have such time and inclination, can you show us that ?

I don't think that's his point. He's just showing the caliber of QBs who have won championships. The importance of such a QB is obviously his point. There are obvious exceptions, but that means playing much slimmer odds.