Wanna dump Tyrod, then who's the new QB

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were historically bad down the stretch allowing 17 TDs on 18 RZ possessions!!! That's almost impossible and if it's been done before it isn't often.

In terms of the TOP, getting run all over plays the biggest role (29th against the run). On offense they had too many 3 and outs (but converted 3rd down at a higher percentage than our opponents) and at the same time scored a lot. They never turned the ball over so that doesn't account for much. They were 46 seconds away from being 19th and less than 2 minutes from being top 5.

Again, I'm not concerned about TOP when we were 7th in scoring through week 16. You win by scoring points not winning the time of possession battle.

And the TOP stats people are quoting are wrong...week 17 TT did NOT play, so if we are talking about a TT led offense, then week 17 crap show needs to be backed out of the stats and see where they REALLY rank with Tyrod. But that doesnt help their story, so the bashers ALWAYS include the EJ and Cardale laugh fest as if Taylor played that game.

It is tricky and different psychologies react differently. Some folks are so starved for the Bills to make the playoffs, they think it's crazy to discard a reasonable player.

Myself, the longer the drought, the more I am willing to take a shot at someone who can be upper echelon. The suffering just isn't worth it to be pretty good at best, imo.

I'm a risk taker in general but I lean towards Tyrod this year. If not, i would rather tank and chase those guys in 2018. They look like the potential franchise changers to me. I just hope whatever they decide is right.

I think Whaley's biggest risk to his job is releasing Tyrod and having Tyrod lead his next team to the playoffs while the Bills miss the playoffs again.

That would probably piss off the Pegulas as Terry has admitted (if I recall correctly) to liking Tyrod as a Qb.

Only way Whaley would get away with it, in my opinion, is if

1) something happened to Tyrod (season ending injury) on that other team

2) if that other team ended up sucking more with Tyrod than the Bills would likely suck without Tyrod.

3) The Bills make the playoffs next year with a different quarterback leading them

I don't think any of those scenarios is very likely. Whaley's safe bet is to pick up the option for Tyrod and hope this coach can go around 500 or better with him next year even with all the other changes.

That is why I expect them to lean towards picking up Tyrod's option rather than letting him walk.

I think the risk of that happening is very minimal. Of the teams that missed the playoffs the only one Taylor would have a shot a making the playoffs with is Denver and they have the hardest schedule in 2017. Chiefs twice, Raiders twice, Cowboys, Patriots, Giants...

Taylor has been overrated by the national media. His numbers are on the same level with Hoyer who made 2 million dollars last year.

The Bills will probably draft a QB this year or next year to compete with Jones. If Taylor's ok with a huge cut in pay then he might be back, otherwise they will sign a cheap veteran like Hoyer as a placeholder. The Bills aren't making the playoffs this year unless they have a Prescott situation with a rookie QB or Jones. It's time to keep looking for the franchise QB.

Edited by 1billsfan

I think Whaley's biggest risk to his job is releasing Tyrod and having Tyrod lead his next team to the playoffs while the Bills miss the playoffs again.

That would probably piss off the Pegulas as Terry has admitted (if I recall correctly) to liking Tyrod as a Qb.

Only way Whaley would get away with it, in my opinion, is if

1) something happened to Tyrod (season ending injury) on that other team

2) if that other team ended up sucking more with Tyrod than the Bills would likely suck without Tyrod.

3) The Bills make the playoffs next year with a different quarterback leading them

I don't think any of those scenarios is very likely. Whaley's safe bet is to pick up the option for Tyrod and hope this coach can go around 500 or better with him next year even with all the other changes.

That is why I expect them to lean towards picking up Tyrod's option rather than letting him walk.

That appears to be a gamble DW is willing to take. DW is betting on himself and I think for good reason. Tyrod isn't taking anybody to the playoffs. Can't beat winning teams, schedules are not packed full of creampuffs.

That appears to be a gamble DW is willing to take. DW is betting on himself and I think for good reason. Tyrod isn't taking anybody to the playoffs. Can't beat winning teams, schedules are not packed full of creampuffs.

Leading a team to the playoffs or Super Bowl? If Miami missed the 56 yarder (or whatever it was) at the buzzer we probably go this year. He is 15-14. He can certainly be a playoff QB like all of the QBs in the game manager tier. Can he lead a team to the Super Bowl? I don't think so at this point. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Correct.

Straight up embarrassing play vs Ravens, Pats, Raiders, and Pitt. Easy decision for Dougie.

If Mike Nugent could kick XP's we would be picking 8th.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Leading a team to the playoffs or Super Bowl? If Miami missed the 56 yarder (or whatever it was) at the buzzer we probably go this year. He is 15-14. He can certainly be a playoff QB like all of the QBs in the game manager tier. Can he lead a team to the Super Bowl? I don't think so at this point.

Of the NFL teams without established starting QBs, the only team that would fit Taylor for a playoff run would be the Texans and they have a ton of money tied up with Oswieler. I say this because the Texans play in the weakest division. No way Taylor takes the Broncos to the playoffs with that schedule.

I'm a risk taker in general but I lean towards Tyrod this year. If not, i would rather tank and chase those guys in 2018. They look like the potential franchise changers to me. I just hope whatever they decide is right.

they should be trading down and adding picks for next years draft and run with TT.

it kinda obvious

Correct.

Straight up embarrassing play vs Ravens, Pats, Raiders, and Pitt. Easy decision for Dougie.

If Mike Nugent could kick XP's we would be picking 8th.

likely true.

If our kicker and even punter, were worth a shiny nickel we'd made playoffs

Leading a team to the playoffs or Super Bowl? If Miami missed the 56 yarder (or whatever it was) at the buzzer we probably go this year. He is 15-14. He can certainly be a playoff QB like all of the QBs in the game manager tier. Can he lead a team to the Super Bowl? I don't think so at this point.

Ifs, ands or buts, seems to be the mo for Taylor. Next!

Edited by old school

Ifs, ands or buts, seems to be the mo for Taylor. Next!

You said he "cant lead a team to the playoffs." That kick is probably below 50% in the NFL. To act like it's impossible for him to be a playoff QB is wrong. If you said Super Bowl QB no one would argue. His performance is right there with Tannehill and Alex Smith (and he has a better record than Tannehill over the last 2 years). He's also WAY better than the Texans QBs. That doesn't mean he can win a Super Bowl but he can certainly take a team to the playoffs. He has a winning record!!

I consider myself the hyperbole police around here. If you stop trying to exaggerate your opinion to get a point across; I will stop presenting stats that invalidate your argument. Again, if you said "he isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl" I would actually agree. That is why I am okay moving on. When you try to compare him to Hoyer but not Tannehill that's absurd. His stats (and record) over the last 2 years are better than Tannehill and he's way bettter than Hoyer.

You said he "cant lead a team to the playoffs." That kick is probably below 50% in the NFL. To act like it's impossible for him to be a playoff QB is wrong. If you said Super Bowl QB no one would argue. His performance is right there with Tannehill and Alex Smith (and he has a better record than Tannehill over the last 2 years). He's also WAY better than the Texans QBs. That doesn't mean he can win a Super Bowl but he can certainly take a team to the playoffs. He has a winning record!!

I consider myself the hyperbole police around here. If you stop trying to exaggerate your opinion to get a point across; I will stop presenting stats that invalidate your argument. Again, if you said "he isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl" I would actually agree. That is why I am okay moving on. When you try to compare him to Hoyer but not Tannehill that's absurd. His stats (and record) over the last 2 years are better than Tannehill and he's way bettter than Hoyer.

Has he lead a team to the playoffs? NO! 14-14 record, 5 wins against winning teams, big whoop, 8-8 (Colts 2015), 9-7 (Texans 2015), 10-6 x 2(Jets 2015), 14-2 (Pats minus Brady 2016). Don't try and tell me that is a recipe that is ever going to lead a team to a playoff game. I don't give a rats arse how you spin it, i'm not buying. Playoffs, Tannehill basically did this year or was on pace to and Hoyer did last year, when has Tyrod done that? or do you consider that hyperbole also!

Of your OPINION you think he is better than Tannehill and Hoyer, my OPINION differs, that doesn't make me WRONG, it's my opinion, talk about hyperbole! Their stats are half dozen of one 6 of the other, they are basically similar with each guy besting each other and getting bested by each other in the stats race.

Hyperbole police, Really! :w00t:

Has he lead a team to the playoffs? NO! 14-14 record, 5 wins against winning teams, big whoop, 8-8 (Colts 2015), 9-7 (Texans 2015), 10-6 x 2(Jets 2015), 14-2 (Pats minus Brady 2016). Don't try and tell me that is a recipe that is ever going to lead a team to a playoff game. I don't give a rats arse how you spin it, i'm not buying. Playoffs, Tannehill basically did this year or was on pace to and Hoyer did last year, when has Tyrod done that? or do you consider that hyperbole also!

Of your OPINION you think he is better than Tannehill and Hoyer, my OPINION differs, that doesn't make me WRONG, it's my opinion, talk about hyperbole! Their stats are half dozen of one 6 of the other, they are basically similar with each guy besting each other and getting bested by each other in the stats race.

I LOVE when people use the 14-14 argument because they ran a trick play in his 1st game. Either way Tannehill is 14-15. Your opinion is based solely on your bias. The facts (what actually happened) stack him with Tannehill and Alex Smith. Again, if you don't think that's good enough so be it. I don't feel like laying out those 4 QBs again and I know that you read it. Hoyer is 7 TDs and 2 INTs more a year and 50 yards less a game. Alex Smith is virtually identical with a few more yards and a few more turnovers. Tannehill is 2 less 2 TDs, 12 more INTs and 29 more yards a game.

Again, moving on is fine. The Super Bowl is the goal. Trying to convince yourself and others of things that haven't happened though isn't very convincing.

You are under arrest by the hyperbole police!! I'm making TBD great again (this isn't a political statement).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I LOVE when people use the 14-14 argument because they ran a trick play in his 1st game. Either way Tannehill is 14-15. Your opinion is based solely on your bias. The facts (what actually happened) stack him with Tannehill and Alex Smith. Again, if you don't think that's good enough so be it. I don't feel like laying out those 4 QBs again and I know that you read it. Hoyer is 7 TDs and 2 INTs more a year and 50 yards less a game. Alex Smith is virtually identical with a few more yards and a few more turnovers. Tannehill is 2 less 2 TDs, 12 more INTs and 29 more yards a game.

Again, moving on is fine. The Super Bowl is the goal. Trying to convince yourself and others of things that haven't happened though isn't very convincing.

You are under arrest by the hyperbole police!! I'm making TBD great again (this isn't a political statement).

14-14 or 15-14, big deal, doesn't change a damn thing. 15-14, 14-14, 14-15, it's all the same but your bias says it's not.

No offense, but let me tell you who dumb it is to sit here and lay the lack of playoffs somehow solely on Tyrod and why your post is very wrong. Over the last 3 years, Drew Brees has averaged the following:

5,010 Passing Yards (insane)

34 Touchdowns

69.16 Comp %

Guess how many times Drew Brees has "LEAD" the Saints to the playoffs...ZERO...let me say again...ZERO and only once in the past 5 seasons. By your post here, that would mean Brees must be the problem, because despite being one of the highest scoring teams in the NFL, the Saints STILL missed the playoffs. I mean the Bills were 5th in scoring under Tyrod, but you say its him and the offense as the reason for missing the playoffs.

Guess what Brees WIN % is over that span... .438 with no winning seasons. But how can that be...he should have carried them into the playoffs...of wait, maybe its because its so much more than just QB passing totals that get teams to the playoffs.

More fun facts:

- Tyrod led Bills offense was 5th in the NFL in scoring and 3rd in Touchdowns scored only 2 behind those same Saints.

- Tyrod has a win % leading this Bills team of .520

- Bills scored 25 or more points in 10 of Taylors 15 starts

- The Bills lost 8 games with TT under center, SIX of them were by 6 points or less. 1 of the other 2 we had a 24-9 3rd quarter lead before the D gave up 4 straight TD drives.

- Bills Defense was almost as bad as the Saints...the 16 game ranks are skewed by the anomaly of the Patriots shut out missing Brady (who dropped 41 on us) and Gronk who barely played.

- Bills were 26th in the NFL in points allowed in the other 15 games and 22nd in yards allowed.

In other words, Taylor led this offense to more than enough scoring to lead this team into the postseason. He has a better record than Brees the last 2 years despite Brees being one of the greatest ever to play and having a better WR group overall.

But please, keep telling us all how the offense was why we didn't make the playoffs and putting all the blame on Taylor...who by the way, led us to all those points while our best players on the O around him either missed large parts of time and/or played hurt which includes Sammy, Woods, Glenn, McCoy, Wood, etc.

Edited by Alphadawg7

No offense, but let me tell you who dumb it is to sit here and lay the lack of playoffs somehow solely on Tyrod and why your post is very wrong. Over the last 3 years, Drew Brees has averaged the following:

5,010 Passing Yards (insane)

34 Touchdowns

69.16 Comp %

Guess how many times Drew Brees has "LEAD" the Saints to the playoffs...ZERO...let me say again...ZERO and only once in the past 5 seasons. By your post here, that would mean Brees must be the problem, because despite being one of the highest scoring teams in the NFL, the Saints STILL missed the playoffs. I mean the Bills were 5th in scoring under Tyrod, but you say its him and the offense as the reason for missing the playoffs.

Guess what Brees WIN % is over that span... .438 with no winning seasons. But how can that be...he should have carried them into the playoffs...of wait, maybe its because its so much more than just QB passing totals that get teams to the playoffs.

More fun facts:

- Tyrod led Bills offense was 5th in the NFL in scoring and 3rd in Touchdowns scored only 2 behind those same Saints.

- Tyrod has a win % leading this Bills team of .520

- Bills scored 25 or more points in 10 of Taylors 15 starts

- The Bills lost 8 games with TT under center, SIX of them were by 6 points or less. 1 of the other 2 we had a 24-9 3rd quarter lead before the D gave up 4 straight TD drives.

- Bills Defense was almost as bad as the Saints...the 16 game ranks are skewed by the anomaly of the Patriots shut out missing Brady (who dropped 41 on us) and Gronk who barely played.

- Bills were 26th in the NFL in points allowed in the other 15 games and 22nd in yards allowed.

In other words, Taylor led this offense to more than enough scoring to lead this team into the postseason. He has a better record than Brees the last 2 years despite Brees being one of the greatest ever to play and having a better WR group overall.

But please, keep telling us all how the offense was why we didn't make the playoffs and putting all the blame on Taylor...who by the way, led us to all those points while our best players on the O around him either missed large parts of time and/or played hurt which includes Sammy, Woods, Glenn, McCoy, Wood, etc.

So the Saints offense was better than the Bills offense. And the Saints defense was worse than the Bills defense. Brees did more, with less, and that proves we should keep Tyrod around?