Which of the rumored candidates should be Bills head coach?

Spurna

Which of the rumored candidates should be Bills head coach?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the rumored candidates should be Bills head coach?

• Anthony Lynn (Bills interim HC)
    • Sean McDermott (Panthers DC)
    • Teryl Austin (Lions DC)
    • Vance Joseph (Dolphins DC)
    • Harold Goodwin (Cardinals OC)
    • Frank Reich (Eagles OC)
    • Tom Coughlin (former HC Jaguars and Giants)
    • None

Help push Terry Pegula in the right direction!

Who should it be?

I want to see a guy who is neither de-facto OC or DC, but who understands how to delegate and supervises both sides. I would like to see them take a look at Dave Toub, ST coordinator, KC

He's got a background in strength and conditioning, so maybe he'd push that. he was an OLman as a player. Because of his ST background, I believe he would be that neutral, overall executive.

If possible, I would like to see them give Lynn a shot as OC, which would help Lynn build his resume for that HC job and hopefully maintain some continuity on offense.

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/21796/two-truths-and-a-lie-make-sean-mcdermott-a-great-defensive-coordinator

Here are a few interesting quotes from the article:

"Coach McDermott's strength as a coach right now, without a doubt, is his ability to motivate guys and keep guys tuned into what we're trying to do as a football team and as a defense," Davis said.

McDermott's strength also is getting the most out of what some might consider second-tier players. He's done it time and time again, particularly in a secondary that has been a revolving door the past four seasons.

"What I look for are guys that work hard, have a great work ethic and embrace that underdog mentality a little bit. And certainly there is no substitute for toughness."

McDermott calls his defense player friendly. He builds around the strengths of players and finds ways to cover up weaknesses. He doesn't try to turn a 3-4 end into a 4-3 end.

"That's important, rather than tying them up with intricate schemes and things," McDermott said. "We can certainly do that. It's like the game of chess. But at the same time a player has to be able to execute and play fast and be fundamentally sound."

Edited by somnus00

For the most part, every article is going to be glowing reports about how effective these guys at one thing or another. They said all the same kinds of things about the previous failures the Bills have hired....Mularkey, Marrone, Greg Williams.

"ooh, it says here "...is a highly effective disciplinarian. A no-nonsense straight shooter"... oh yeah, that's what this team needs. Let's get him."

Edited by HoF Watkins

We need to find a coach that can be our coach long term. Coughlin is a 2 or 3 year stop gap at best. I am on wuth Lynn.

Coughlin would right this ship and then could hand it off to a coordinator.

Would you want another Teams OC who had been a position coach his whole career except for 3.5 months and had the worst passing offense? So Because Lynn is already here you think that justifies him being the HC?

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/21796/two-truths-and-a-lie-make-sean-mcdermott-a-great-defensive-coordinator

"Coach McDermott's strength as a coach right now, without a doubt, is his ability to motivate guys and keep guys tuned into what we're trying to do as a football team and as a defense," Davis said.

McDermott's strength also is getting the most out of what some might consider second-tier players. He's done it time and time again, particularly in a secondary that has been a revolving door the past four seasons.

"What I look for are guys that work hard, have a great work ethic and embrace that underdog mentality a little bit. And certainly there is no substitute for toughness."

McDermott calls his defense player friendly. He builds around the strengths of players and finds ways to cover up weaknesses. He doesn't try to turn a 3-4 end into a 4-3 end.

"That's important, rather than tying them up with intricate schemes and things," McDermott said. "We can certainly do that. It's like the game of chess. But at the same time a player has to be able to execute and play fast and be fundamentally sound."

Two time national champion wrestler; I'm IN !

"execute", "play fast", "be fundamentally sound"...WOW, I've never heard a coach talk like that. This guy must be great!

​"defense is player friendly", "built around the strengths of players", " guys who work hard", "great work ethic", "no substitute for toughness"....Woo Wee! This guy MUST be awesome!!

​Sounds like poppycock. Reads like those old MAD Magazine comic panels, where they make fun of coaching cliches.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Out of those choices, I'll take Tom Coughlin. I think the ship needs to be righted and he has the experience, track record, consistency and gravitas to do it.

The Week 17 game and yesterday's press conference opened my eyes to the problems this team faces in 2017.

I think first-time head coaches would get eaten alive. Buffalo is perhaps the most challenging place to coach in the NFL.