Travis Henry holding up trade to Arizona

OnTheRocks

I know you personally dislike Travis Henry, and that is fair. But to say this is a stupid move on his part is nonsense. In a situation where he has leverage, he would be supid NOT to take advantage of it. In this case, he has to OK the trade in order for the other team to agree to it because they don't want to trade for him unless he will suit up. This is a smart move by Travis (or his agent, or whoever) and anyone with common sense would do the same given the circumstance.

If this trade does not go down, it will be yet another of the countless examples of the Bills being bitten in the ass by the sheer stupidity of Travis Henry.

What I will not do is blame his agent. As fans, this is easy to do but the agent really cannot do much without the blessing of the player.

I just hope that it gets done and he is out of here once and for all.

254792[/snapback]

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called "security."

As a running back, injuries can happen to anyone. Ask Willis McGahee. Instead of collecting a $10 million signing bonus as a top 5 pick, he had to settle for less than half that amount at the end of the first round (and that was after a miraculous recovery).

I don't understand Travis Henry's position on a long term deal unless he has 0 confidence in his ability.  Being traded to Arizona with only one year left would be a dream if the guy had 1/2 a brain.  Why would any player want a long term deal with one of the league's worst franchises, when as an alternative, he plays one year there, showcases himself & gets better $ with a better franchise.  Either Travis is flat broke again & is looking for the quick fix that the multi-year contract's signing bonus would provide, he thinks he's going to get injured again &/or suck this season, or he just is clueless.  He can spend one year with Arizona & be in line for a windfall in 1 year-his market value for a contract is a lot lower today than it would be with a good season. 

I really thought that it would be Arizona, looking to protect its interests, looking for the long term deal & not the other way around.  Travis Henry & his agent's stupidity continues to amaze.

254478[/snapback]

I know you personally dislike Travis Henry, and that is fair.  But to say this is a stupid move on his part is nonsense.  In a situation where he has leverage, he would be supid NOT to take advantage of it.  In this case, he has to OK the trade in order for the other team to agree to it because they don't want to trade for him unless he will suit up.  This is a smart move by Travis (or his agent, or whoever) and anyone with common sense would do the same given the circumstance.

254826[/snapback]

Ahh,,, but there is a catch. While there isn't supposed to be collusion in the NFL there kind of is. The GM's will tell each other what the deal is when they want to stick it to players. If Travis is doing especially after his numerous reported locker room cancer stories, refusing to suit up the last two games even when healthy per team docs, his agent, his mom and him all complaining last year about Willis being drafted, and then his posted season bitching about being benched in favor of Willis all add up.

He will be a pariah in the NFL and very good possibility that teams even when he is a FA next year will not pay his value or flat out refuse to give him a contract.

Travis had better get his head out of his ass if he expects to ever play in the NFL again and possibly start.

Henry certainly screwed up with his last contract (the draft position should have been slotted and though specifics vary should have been only screwable up within parameters) and now he is trying to make all he can out of a bad situation he created (stupid but logical).

254426[/snapback]

I don't disagree with him asking for more guaranteed money. But if I remember correctly, he is the one who asked for renogiated contract with TD, because he needed the money up front - something about financial trouble. :o

You have a very narrow perception of Travis Henry. His reputation around the league is that of a warrior, someone who plays hurt and someone who is capable of rushing for 1500 yards. Reports that he was a cancer in the locker room are in your head. In fact, he kept his mouth shut the entire season and only blew his top after the season was over.

Now suppose you were right and Travis WAS a locker room cancer. Why the hell would Donahoe tell other GMs this, when he is trying to get maximum value for him in a trade??? If anything, he will speak nothing but glowingly about Travis Henry in hopes of getting as much as he can in return.

Either way, your post doesn't make sense. You view Travis Henry as a journeyman who would be lucky to have an NFL job. NFL GM's view him as a former Pro Bowler who has proven he can rush for 1500 yards in this league, but has some problems holding onto the ball.

Ahh,,, but there is a catch.  While there isn't supposed to be collusion in the NFL there kind of is.  The GM's will tell each other what the deal is when they want to stick it to players.  If Travis is doing especially after his numerous reported locker room cancer stories, refusing to suit up the last two games even when healthy per team docs, his agent, his mom and him all complaining last year about Willis being drafted, and then his posted season bitching about being benched in favor of Willis all add up. 

He will be a pariah in the NFL and very good possibility that teams even when he is a FA next year will not pay his value or flat out refuse to give him a contract.

Travis had better get his head out of his ass if he expects to ever play in the NFL again and possibly start.

254840[/snapback]

It's called "security." 

As a running back, injuries can happen to anyone. Ask Willis McGahee. Instead of collecting a $10 million signing bonus as a top 5 pick, he had to settle for less than half that amount at the end of the first round (and that was after a miraculous recovery).

254829[/snapback]

If all players took the security route, there wouldn't be any unrestricted free agents. The worst thing a player can do is opt for security comming off an injury plagued season where he was also benched in favor of a better player. Unless he has a career ending injury or plain out sucks, he will be able to command a much better contract as an unrestricted free agent a year from now. Especially in a place he knows he'll be the starter at. Many have played a season in the last year of a contract without opting for security. The good ones get rewarded. Travis already went the security angle once & was royally burned-he'd be an UFA right now if he wasn't so friggin stupid!

trade Travis to the Cardinals and get L J Shelton for him and shut his mouth. I want this guy out of Buffalo. He SUCKS!!!! He deserves to get traded to a bad team and see how they are during the season when the fans aren't into the season. He won't make the cardinals into a playoff contentor anyway they are still a ways off and they aren't going to get any players through Free agency because no one wants to go to a bad team that hasn't made the playoffs in like 10 years. SO SUCK it TRAVIS!!!!!!! GET OUT OF BUFFALO!!!!!!

trade Travis to the Cardinals and get L J Shelton for him and shut his mouth.  I want this guy out of Buffalo.    He SUCKS!!!!  He deserves to get traded to a bad team and see how they are during the season when the fans aren't into the season.  He won't make the cardinals into a playoff contentor anyway they are still a ways off and they aren't going to get any players through Free agency because no one wants to go to a bad team that hasn't made the playoffs in like 10 years.  SO SUCK it TRAVIS!!!!!!!  GET OUT OF BUFFALO!!!!!!

254901[/snapback]

It's not quite that easy. TH could just sit tight and be a UFA at the end of the 2005 season. AZ could end up with nada and TH could make a lot more scoots elsewhere next year and beyond. The market for proven runningbacks is endless. Someone will want him on their roster this year. Be patient. TD is.

You have a very narrow perception of Travis Henry.  His reputation around the league is that of a warrior, someone who plays hurt and someone who is capable of rushing for 1500 yards.  Reports that he was a cancer in the locker room are in your head. In fact, he kept his mouth shut the entire season and only blew his top after the season was over.

Now suppose you were right and Travis WAS a locker room cancer.  Why the hell would Donahoe tell other GMs this, when he is trying to get maximum value for him in a trade??? If anything, he will speak nothing but glowingly about Travis Henry in hopes of getting as much as he can in return.

Either way, your post doesn't make sense.  You view Travis Henry as a journeyman who would be lucky to have an NFL job.  NFL GM's view him as a former Pro Bowler who has proven he can rush for 1500 yards in this league, but has some problems holding onto the ball.

254848[/snapback]

If you would have read my message in the context it was delivered you would understand. My point was if TH screws the trade because he wants a renegociation first and it isn't for the money he wants. Then he he basically says to Arizona if you trade for me I am holding out, then TD does what I said.

I would think it would be Arizona who would want to sign TH to a contract extension as part of the trade. They are trading us Shelton who plays a key position and is signed to a pretty moderate contract for at least 4 years. In return they would get TH who is only under contract for one year. Seems to me that would be a pretty big gamble for Arizona not to extend TH's contract as part of the terms of the trade.

It's not quite that easy. TH could just sit tight and be a UFA at the end of the 2005 season. AZ could end up with nada and TH could make a lot more scoots elsewhere next year and beyond. The market for proven runningbacks is endless. Someone will want him on their roster this year. Be patient. TD is.

254929[/snapback]

You bring up a good point and that's what has me perplexed about this story, as it's Henry not the Cardinals that want the long term extension signed. Unless of course Henry's looking to bring in the big money now then I can see the Cards waiting as am sure they don't want to overspend for him now and find out he's not worth the hefty contract.

254929[/snapback]

The market for QBs, LTs and DEs is endless. The market for RBs is very limited.

Faulk (in his prime): a 2nd and a 5th.

Dillon: A 2nd

Compared to either of those two, Travis Henry flat out sucks. Do you NOT see this? Travis, imo has trade some trade value for ONLY 2 reasons:

1) Although not fast, he is a strong runner.

2) He does not have a big contract.

If this nonsense continues, all it indicates is that, as Albany said, TH does not have enough confidence in himself that he will merit a bigger payday in 06.

Woodson does. He just made a jackass of Al Davis and the raiders org. He signed a 'Franchise" offer and will get a huge, guaranteed contract this year, and be a ufa in 06.

I stand by my assertions that Travis Henry is a lousy football player, and a virtual idiot.

The Bills would do oh so well to get rid of him.

Why are the jerkin him around? Donahoe already took advantage of Travis by payin him like a backup now Arizona thinks the thing to do now is dick him on his money. I see it as them not wantin to give him a large/semi-large signing bonus contract, in the chance that he get injured their not gonna wanna be stuck payin him the bonus. So you make him play out his current contract and if he gets hurt, oh well contracts up no guaranteed future bonus for you Travis. All he has to do is work harder at tryin to sell himself to Al Davis and the Raiders.

Why are the jerkin him around? Donahoe already took advantage of Travis by payin him like a backup now Arizona thinks the thing to do now is dick him on his money. I see it as them not wantin to give him a large/semi-large signing bonus contract, in the chance that he get injured their not gonna wanna be stuck payin him the bonus. So you make him play out his current contract and if he gets hurt, oh well contracts up no guaranteed future bonus for you Travis. All he has to do is work harder at tryin to sell himself to Al Davis and the Raiders.

255063[/snapback]

Because he is in lower 1/3 of starting quality backs. He is barely starting quality and would only be a quality backup on a top tier NFl team. Hence backup money. He is not top 10 nor even top 20. He is squarely in the realm of his peers now like Pittman, Barlow, Bettis, William Green, Zereoue, and Ducketts. Although Pittman and Bettis maybe the top of that tier even.

Because he is in lower 1/3 of starting quality backs. He is barely starting quality and would only be a quality backup on a top tier NFl team.  Hence backup money.  He is not top 10 nor even top 20.  He is squarely in the realm of his peers now like Pittman, Barlow, Bettis, William Green, Zereoue, and Ducketts.  Although Pittman and Bettis maybe the top of that tier even.

You've REALLY gone off the deep end VA! :o Makes it interesting that Green is willing to trade a LT who you think is worth a 1st round pick for a piece of sh-- like Henry!

I choose to blame the messenger in this story - again, lazy journalism. Strikes me odd that Miami Herald came up with the "scoop." Why?

As Harv indicates, it makes absolutely no sense for Henry to demand a long term deal, and all the sense for Arizona to tie Henry for mor than '05.

Sounds like the enterprising reporter got the sides wrong in who would want a long term deal out of the trade.

You've REALLY gone off the deep end VA!  Makes it interesting that Green is willing to trade a LT who you think is worth a 1st round pick for a piece of sh-- like Henry!

255114[/snapback]

Green hates Shelton for some reason. And I said there is no way we get that straight up. I have already said we will have to throw in a pick.

It's easy on who is better:

Mcgahee

Martin

Alexander

Dillon

James

Barber

Thomlinson

Portis

Taylor

Davis

Green

Dunn

Kevin Jones

Thomas Jones

Mcallister

Chris Brown

Lewis

Droughns

Holmes

Staley

Westbrook

M Faulk

S Jackson

That's 23 that are clearly better with that tier he is in both Bettis and Pittman are better. That makes Travis at best the 25th best RB in the league.

There is also guys like Chester Taylor, Jordan, Tatum Bell, Suggs, Griffen, Anthony Thomas who seem to have as much or more promise.

That said, Travis will be lucky to start on even a lower tier team. If you believe otherwise but that is a very unrealistic view of his value. He should be paid as a #25-30 back in the league which really only warrants about 1 to 1.5 million per year. Therefore he is right paid.

Green hates Shelton for some reason.  And I said there is no way we get that straight up.  I have already said we will have to throw in a pick.

So, Green hates Shelton so much that he's willing to trade him for a lousy player, a bottom-25 RB? I'd think that no matter WHAT Green thinks of Shelton, trying to get the most for him would be the smart thing to do. And it's not there aren't any teams interested in Shelton. But no, Green would rather trade him for a crappy starting RB, because he hates his guts. Makes sense to me!

Oh and like I said, Green is willing to trade Henry straight-up provided Henry plays under his old contract. Again why he'd be willing to trade a good player for a crappy RB who might be gone in a year is beyond me! Perhaps it's a matter of both sides wanting a long-term deal, but Travis wants a ridiculous signing bonus and salary? I don't know, but if the Cards want him, they won't be getting a pick.