Travis Henry holding up trade to Arizona

OnTheRocks

-- Henry Holding Up Proposed Trade to Arizona --

Sun Feb 27, 2005

The Miami Herald reports the proposed deal between Buffalo and Arizona which would exchange disgruntled Bills RB Travis Henry for Cardinals OLT L.J. Shelton is currently being held up. Agent Hadley Engelhard is working on a new contract for Henry, but the Cardinals want Henry to play out the final year of his contract before redoing the deal. Shelton, who was reduced to a reserve role, is scheduled to make $3 million a season for the next four years.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't blame Travis for wanting to go only after a deal is made and signed.

He got taken for a ride on his first two contracts with the Bills (OK, OK, he got a less-than-generous first contract and pissed away the money and had to renegotiate to pay the bail bondsman. But by all accounts, he was underpaid.) Hopefully, he's learned from his mistakes and has a new agent.

Somehow I don't see this as a major stumbling block to any deal being made. Like, his new team wouldn't have to negotiate within a year anyway? Frankly it'd be better business to make a long term deal with him now - coming off a year of bench-riding inactivity than to do it after the guy gets back on the field as your Starting HB with an attitude. Arizona isn't that Cap-strapped that they couldn't make him a nice long term offer. What's the alternative - make him play to his existing contract and have him be a FA next year?

Sun Feb 27, 2005

The Miami Herald reports the proposed deal between Buffalo and Arizona which would exchange disgruntled Bills RB Travis Henry for Cardinals OLT L.J. Shelton is currently being held up. Agent Hadley Engelhard is working on a new contract for Henry, but the Cardinals want Henry to play out the final year of his contract before redoing the deal. Shelton, who was reduced to a reserve role, is scheduled to make $3 million a season for the next four years.

254371[/snapback]

I dont think he can hold anything up. The Bills own his rights, they can trade him to whoever whenever and he has no say. They may be doing the right thing and letting him and his agent do the bulk of the work, but the Bills have the final say.

I dont think he can hold anything up. The Bills own his rights, they can trade him to whoever whenever and he has no say. They may be doing the right thing and letting him and his agent do the bulk of the work, but the Bills have the final say.

Well if Travis threatens to sit-out half the season because he wants a long-term deal, the Cards wouldn't be wise to trade for him then.

Henry doesn't deserve a long term deal. He has been hurt for most of the last two years and lost his starting job to McGahee and then did nothing but cry about it. He should be lucky some team is willing to take a chance on him. What he should do is shut his his mouth, prove that he can stay injury free and come close to what he did two & three years ago and then steal millions from Arizona or some other team. How does he figure he can negotiate a big, long term deal with anyone?

Henry doesn't deserve a long term deal. He has been hurt for most of the last two years and lost his starting job to McGahee and then did nothing but cry about it. He should be lucky some team is willing to take a chance on him. What he should do is shut his his mouth, prove that he can stay injury free and come close to what he did two & three years ago and then steal millions from Arizona or some other team. How does he figure he can negotiate a big, long term deal with anyone?

254403[/snapback]

TO be fair, I think he is worth more than 1.25 mill next year to just about any team. Do I think he should hold out if traded anyway? NO. Do I think he should get a new contract, probably.

254403[/snapback]

Unfortunately, this is business and what Henry deserves matters little in today's world and particularly in the NFL. If playersor owners got the amounts of money they deserve they would've been asking Mother Theresa for a loan.

This blip is actually a good sing to hear because it is a sign that a deal is proceeding along. If we head nothing or heard everything was going fine that would be a probable sign there was a problem.

Henry certainly screwed up with his last contract (the draft position should have been slotted and though specifics vary should have been only screwable up within parameters) and now he is trying to make all he can out of a bad situation he created (stupid but logical).

Those who say he has no leverage at all are wrong (Rickey Wiliiams demonstrated that by exercising leverage which screwed both him and the Fins and forcing a partner to try to avoid or minimize these worse cases is a form of leverage). However, though Henry has leverage, he can just as easily screw himself as screw his potential new partner AZ and a deal will be done if these two sides (and the Bills as a third side) demonstrate they can play well together.

If they do they can all make out like bandits.

I don't blame Travis for wanting to go only after a deal is made and signed.

He got taken for a ride on his first two contracts with the Bills (OK, OK, he got a less-than-generous first contract and pissed away the money and had to renegotiate to pay the bail bondsman. But by all accounts, he was underpaid.) Hopefully, he's learned from his mistakes and has a new agent.

254377[/snapback]

The only person who took Travis Henry for a ride on his first two contracts was Travis Henry. As they say, 'things don't just happen to you...you let things happen to you.'

You're right...hopefully he has learned his lesson, but regardless of this point, no one owes Travis anything except Travis.

I don't understand Travis Henry's position on a long term deal unless he has 0 confidence in his ability. Being traded to Arizona with only one year left would be a dream if the guy had 1/2 a brain. Why would any player want a long term deal with one of the league's worst franchises, when as an alternative, he plays one year there, showcases himself & gets better $ with a better franchise. Either Travis is flat broke again & is looking for the quick fix that the multi-year contract's signing bonus would provide, he thinks he's going to get injured again &/or suck this season, or he just is clueless. He can spend one year with Arizona & be in line for a windfall in 1 year-his market value for a contract is a lot lower today than it would be with a good season.

I really thought that it would be Arizona, looking to protect its interests, looking for the long term deal & not the other way around. Travis Henry & his agent's stupidity continues to amaze.

I don't understand Travis Henry's position on a long term deal unless he has 0 confidence in his ability.  Being traded to Arizona with only one year left would be a dream if the guy had 1/2 a brain.  Why would any player want a long term deal with one of the league's worst franchises, when as an alternative, he plays one year there, showcases himself & gets better $ with a better franchise.  Either Travis is flat broke again & is looking for the quick fix that the multi-year contract's signing bonus would provide, he thinks he's going to get injured again &/or suck this season, or he just is clueless.  He can spend one year with Arizona & be in line for a windfall in 1 year-his market value for a contract is a lot lower today than it would be with a good season. 

I really thought that it would be Arizona, looking to protect its interests, looking for the long term deal & not the other way around.  Travis Henry & his agent's stupidity continues to amaze.

254478[/snapback]

The way I see it is, Cards are very likely to start him day one and hes likely to rush for 1000+ next year, does he not deserve more than 1.25 mill for that?

I dont mind him pursuing a new contract.

The way I see it is, Cards are very likely to start him day one and hes likely to rush for 1000+ next year, does he not deserve more than 1.25 mill for that?

I dont mind him pursuing a new contract.

254483[/snapback]

He deserves what he agreed to play for & not a penny more. If I had the possibility of signing a multi-million $ contract at a lot more $ than I could command this year, I'd have the brains to play for whatever I'm signed for, knowing that as long as I play up to my expectations, I'll be filthy rich in one year. ...and if he gets hurt & has a bad season, then he is worth a lot LESS than the $1.25 million that he will get by playing under his present contract.

I don't mind him pursuing a new contract, I think it's stupid on his part to do so. With a good season he'll be in the same boat he's in now-playing for less than the $ he could have received if he & his agent had one iota of patience. Of course, if he plans on sucking the rest of his career, then he should get that new contract ASAP.

Sun Feb 27, 2005

254371[/snapback]

Isnt the owner of the cards, bill bidwell a cheap one.

Well if Travis threatens to sit-out half the season because he wants a long-term deal, the Cards wouldn't be wise to trade for him then.

254394[/snapback]

Yeah, but he has two choices:

1. Go where the Bills tell him to go and play for new contract

2. Stay with the Bills another year, and try to get a contract next season as the guy who sat on the bench for two years.

If it were me, I'd go to Arizona.

Yeah, but he has two choices:

1. Go where the Bills tell him to go and play for new contract

2.  Stay with the Bills another year, and try to get a contract next season as the guy who sat on the bench for two years.

If it were me, I'd go to Arizona.

Same here. The smart thing is to go where you can showcase yourself as a starter. If he's confident in himself, he'd be better-off being a starter somewhere, even for a year, than a backup for a year, and trying his luck on the market NEXT year.

If Travis has a contract and doesn't have a no trade clause then it's not up to him who we deal him to and if Arizona wants him to play out the next year of his deal then he is going to have to do it.

254663[/snapback]

From the rumors I've heard (here and elsewhere) the Cards are interested in a trade if they can agree on a long-term deal with Travis. So, contract negotiations are underway, and the fact that Travis didn't accept the first offere throrn out there means he's "holding up the trade." The fact that Travis has only one year left on his contract means he has penty of leverage. (Yes, he could be traded for a year against his wishes, but the he's a FA.)

I don't understand Travis Henry's position on a long term deal unless he has 0 confidence in his ability.  Being traded to Arizona with only one year left would be a dream if the guy had 1/2 a brain.  Why would any player want a long term deal with one of the league's worst franchises, when as an alternative, he plays one year there, showcases himself & gets better $ with a better franchise.  Either Travis is flat broke again & is looking for the quick fix that the multi-year contract's signing bonus would provide, he thinks he's going to get injured again &/or suck this season, or he just is clueless.  He can spend one year with Arizona & be in line for a windfall in 1 year-his market value for a contract is a lot lower today than it would be with a good season. 

I really thought that it would be Arizona, looking to protect its interests, looking for the long term deal & not the other way around.  Travis Henry & his agent's stupidity continues to amaze.

254478[/snapback]

If this trade does not go down, it will be yet another of the countless examples of the Bills being bitten in the ass by the sheer stupidity of Travis Henry.

What I will not do is blame his agent. As fans, this is easy to do but the agent really cannot do much without the blessing of the player.

I just hope that it gets done and he is out of here once and for all.