The timeout issue again (way too much misunderstanding here)

dave mcbride

People continue to criticize Rex and debate whether he called a T.O. on time, and it's going on in a number of threads. I want to establish for the record that PLAYERS CAN CALL TIME OUT. It's even in the official rules! (See below.) White visibly and demonstrably called T.O. to the ref long before the snap, and it is not even debatable. He knew the Bills had only 10 players on the field, which was why he was desperately calling for a timeout. He was standing right next to the ref too.

Section 5 Timeouts

CHARGED TEAM TIMEOUTS

Article 1 "The Referee shall suspend play while the ball is dead and declare a charged team timeout upon the request for a timeout by the head coach or any player to any official."

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/7_Rule4_Game_Timing.pdf

The Bills were utterly jobbed on that play. The Bills lost because of unconscionably bad refereeing (e.g., the bizarrely bad non-calls on the two obvious PIs in the end zone). Yes, the defense sucks and Ryan made some bad decisions, but none of that detracts from this basic fact. It called to mind nothing so much as the just give it to 'em game. Maybe the NFL wanted a semi-signature franchise like the Dolphins back in the playoffs after too long of a drought (that is, for a semi-signature franchise, which the Bills aren't). That's probably not the reason, but I can't come up with any other explanation.

Edited by dave mcbride

Dave, are you seriously saying the Bills lost that game due to officiating?

It was one of the many contributing factors. Two blatant PI's in the end zone not called, and the TO there. Impossible to defend, and I expect that we'll be getting one of those infamous apology letters from the NFL later this week. "So sorry we stole another game from you Bills, our bad."

TIMEOUT!!!!

A timeout should actually never have been called in that situation. With the clock winding down and the kicking team struggling to run out there on time, you would never want to call a timeout to let them get all set up. Kickers say they actually like getting "iced" because it allows them more time to prepare. So Rex is actually an idiot for even attempting to call the timeout.

TIMEOUT!!!!

A timeout should actually never have been called in that situation. With the clock winding down and the kicking team struggling to run out there on time, you would never want to call a timeout to let them get all set up. Kickers say they actually like getting "iced" because it allows them more time to prepare. So Rex is actually an idiot for even attempting to call the timeout.

Yes the timeout should have been called. With no block on Franks can kick low. Also go look at Franks history kicking the TO should have been called and given

And what about the helmet to jaw hit on Tyrod? He's on the sidelines puking blood, and the refs totally whiffed on the call. They are supposed to protect the QB.

Maybe TT should've jumped up into the refs face and spat blood on him. Maybe at that point they'd throw a flag. Unsportsmanlike conduct on the quarterback, spitting blood on an official.

Yes the timeout should have been called. With no block on Franks can kick low. Also go look at Franks history kicking the TO should have been called and given

So your not allowed to go for a kick block without calling a timeout? With decent coaching you think the field goal unit would know what formation they should be in to try and block the game tying kick to save their season.

So your not allowed to go for a kick block without calling a timeout? With decent coaching you think the field goal unit would know what formation they should be in to try and block the game tying kick to save their season.

When a Player on the field is calling asking for a TO then something obviously was not set up jesus

The Bills had 10 men on the field! That was because kicking the fg wasn't obvious choice. Miami could have run another play from scrimmage but it was 4th down, albeit 4th and short.

So you think it is acceptable for the coaching to be so terrible to not know how to line up that you would rather blame the officials for not granting a timeout?

I would think it be acceptable that the officials of a multi Billion dollar sport grant a TO when a player asks for it.

I think the point is that when you have a player calling time out in front of an official, you bloody well expect them to do something about it.

I agree they missed the the TO, should have been granted on the field...but that is not why the Bills lost. For the record, i was pleading with the TV for Rex not take the TO.

It was one of the many contributing factors. Two blatant PI's in the end zone not called, and the TO there. Impossible to defend, and I expect that we'll be getting one of those infamous apology letters from the NFL later this week. "So sorry we stole another game from you Bills, our bad."

Blatant taunting by Carp, blatant hit on coach by Hughes(small, but still a penalty) ...and yes the missed the PI's, but the Bills just flat out lost this game on their own.

why was there no block on? So the Dolphins can get their entire FG kicking team in with no problems...but thats to much to expect of the Bills?

Edited by plenzmd1

I agree they missed the the TO, should have been granted on the field...but that is not why the Bills lost. For the record, i was pleading with the TV for Rex not take the TO.

Blatant taunting by Carp, blatant hit on coach by Hughes(small, but still a penalty) ...and yes the missed the PI's, but the Bills just flat out lost this game on their own.

why was there no block on? So the Dolphins can get their entire FG kicking team in with no problems...but thats to much to expect of the Bills?

See above. In all honesty, running another play from scrimmage was probably the smarter move because the likelihood of him making a 55 yard fg on a windy day was unlikely. I was kinda surprised they didn't run one more play, but i also understand that a fg was a reasonable choice. The bills didn't know what the dolphins were doing right away, which IS WHY WHITE VISIBLY AND DEMONSTRABLY CALLED TIMEOUT LONG BEFORE THE SNAP!!

Maybe it was on but there was an issue Hense Graham trying to get the timeout.

I am not even caring about Rex Icing TO. Graham on the field saw somethig wrong should have been granted the TO

TIMEOUT!!!!

Maybe you're right. In fact, I was yelling "don't call timeout" just like one other person in here. However, Rex and the team tried to call timeout and were ignored. They wanted to get their field goal block team on the field.

The view of Rex calling timeout and being ignored reminded me of Remember the Titans when Denzel was screaming "the guy's offside" into the ref's ear and the ref just ignoring him.

In every game I've ever seen with a guy lining up a crucial kick...if the coach is walking down the clock for a timeout, the ref is actually looking at the coach and waiting to signal. This guy was ignoring the coach. Blatantly.