Why is Dennis Thurman not taking the blame for the defense

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For reals?

Please Pegulas, make this happen sooner rather than later.

Yes he said that. They where set up to Contain Big Ben, practiced that defense and then got a dose of Bell and had no second plan so started running plays from earlier in the year when focused to stop run (ala Rams game with Gurley)

Yes he said that. They where set up to Contain Big Ben, practiced that defense and then got a dose of Bell and had no second plan so started running plays from earlier in the year when focused to stop run (ala Rams game with Gurley)

That may be one of the biggest indictments of Rex as a coach as I've seen. His team was prepared for one thing and one thing only? They didn't take Bell into consideration? Are his game plans really so simple that they do not offer a way to stop both phases of an offensive game plan?

That is a reason why we can beat the bad teams but not the good ones. A good team is able to have a sophisticated enough game plan that actually gives them options and they are also able to make in game adjustments.

In December, in Buffalo he gave no thought to stopping the run. Brilliant.

That may be one of the biggest indictments of Rex as a coach as I've seen. His team was prepared for one thing and one thing only? They didn't take Bell into consideration? Are his game plans really so simple that they do not offer a way to stop both phases of an offensive game plan?

That is a reason why we can beat the bad teams but not the good ones. A good team is able to have a sophisticated enough game plan that actually gives them options and they are also able to make in game adjustments.

In December, in Buffalo he gave no thought to stopping the run. Brilliant.

Considering we were playing the best RB in the league

Lynn? Really? He will somewhere no doubt

Lynn is the one I was suggesting may get a job again. But, he is not that impressive.

Sure the RB coach for the #1 rated rushing offense back to back years. Absolutely no one will have any interest.

Guy's worked under Del Rio, Parcells, Crennel, and Rex. Never been out of football, and interviewed for 2 HC jobs this past offseason.

Its just my opinion. I don't think Roman will have a job next year and he has better credentials than Lynn. Who is a better OC Roman or Lynn. Its 6 or half dozen the other....does it really matter as they both are below average. Far below average.

If you listened to Rex's press conference today -

@joebuscaglia

Earlier this season, Rex Ryan said Dennis Thurman was calling the plays. Reading through the Rex code, it sounds like he's calling them now

#Bills HC Rex Ryan says all defensive calls go through him, but was quite vague on who is actually calling the plays during the game.

#Bills HC Rex Ryan says he started calling plays they hadn't practiced in the second half to help "stop the bleeding"

Knee jerk reactions instead of preparation and practice.......impressive since he has been here almost 24 months? Maybe Rex should go do some more extracurriculars during the season since he is so prepared!

Q: How much responsibility do you have on calling the plays on game day?

A: Thurman: "A lot."

Q: Who is the coach in the booth that Preston Brown said was getting the calls in late?

A: Thurman: "I have no idea what he’s talking about. See again, you guys assume I know what’s going on. I have no idea."

http://buffalonews.com/2016/01/01/248356/

Bahhahahaa

No 2nd plan sounds right! Not the first time.....!

Rex is not good enough to be a DC or HC in the NFL!

This is absolutely all about Rex when it comes to the defense......everyone underneath him are just doing what they are told to do.

Lynn is actually doing a pretty good job with the O (yeah I know its got its flaws but it is a point scoring machine)...that is how you know Rex doesnt have his hands in that side of the ball.

the cure is obvious

It is ultimately Rex's defense. But his generals are also to blame. Rex may be calling the shots, but he is not calling the plays. The OP is right; Thurman's name is rarely mentioned (I'd have to think what our DC's name even is) but it should be.

Thurman is payed to execute Rex's scheme, run practices the way Rex wants, and call plays the way Rex wants.

I can't say he's actually good at any of that. But if he's doing a poor job of play-calling: (1) Rex should have trained him better on what he wants, and (2) Rex can always call the plays himself.

There's simply no question that Rex deserves all the blame for this D. How badly Thurman is failing at his job? It's hard to know without being an insider. He might be doing exactly what Rex is asking him to do.