Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

The halibut turned out great, but I'm not sure if it maybe could have been even better. I ran them for an hour at 130F per seriouseats, but afterward they were falling apart while taking them out of the bags. Any suggestions on that?

I ended up throwing them in the oven for ~5 minutes on some aluminum foil rather than searing them on the stovetop. The crispy flavor of the outsides of the fish was phenomenal.

The halibut turned out great, but I'm not sure if it maybe could have been even better. I ran them for an hour at 130F per seriouseats, but afterward they were falling apart while taking them out of the bags. Any suggestions on that?

I ended up throwing them in the oven for ~5 minutes on some aluminum foil rather than searing them on the stovetop. The crispy flavor of the outsides of the fish was phenomenal.

An hour seems to be way too long for fish. I had the same issue with red snapper. It was perfectly flaky after 30 mins but basically fell apart before I could get the fish out of the bag and sear the fillets.

I think next time I'll adjust temp to produce a rare fish fillet, go for less time and finish cooking in the pan.

I did another ribeye last night and managed not to trigger all smoke alarms while getting a great crust.

Anyone doing corned beef for St. Paddy's? http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/homemade-corned-beef-brisket-with-potatoes-cabbage-carrots-recipe.html

I did salmon one time, and while it was fully cooked, the texture was so different my wife threw it in a pan a little longer. She didn't trust (or recognize?) it. It's almost like eating something totally different. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I did salmon one time, and while it was fully cooked, the texture was so different my wife threw it in a pan a little longer. She didn't trust (or recognize?) it. It's almost like eating something totally different. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

same experience. my better half was very offput by it -- i think more just the fact that it was a curveball not that it was bad. despite her objections i enjoyed it.

we had a similar experience doing scrambled eggs in there. good but texturally different which is apparently not a surprise she likes.

I sous vide'd some elk two weeks ago whilst visiting my gal's folks up in Montana! Elk requires a little higher temperature compared to beef, I believe. I tried at 134F and there was still quite a bit of of red.

I did some fresh venison backstraps at 135 last weekend and they were perfect; it was like eating silk. I typically do beef at 131 and adding that 4 degrees to the venison was just about right for getting it in the same neighborhood. Elk and venison are very similar meats in many ways, one of them being how lean they are. Because of that I would be very cautious about putting any salt on them before cooking as I've read in a few places that it tends to leach some of the limited juices out of leaner meats.

same experience. my better half was very offput by it -- i think more just the fact that it was a curveball not that it was bad. despite her objections i enjoyed it.

we had a similar experience doing scrambled eggs in there. good but texturally different which is apparently not a surprise she likes.

I had identical experiences with both salmon and eggs. (OK, that sentence made me think about cooking roe sous vide)

I can make better eggs with less hassle than going sous vide so that likely won't be coming out for breakfast any more.

My wife had the same reaction to the salmon, but I really liked my moist and tender white fish.

Have you come up with any plan to make both of you happy that doesn't involve cooking fish two different ways?-)

I had identical experiences with both salmon and eggs. (OK, that sentence made me think about cooking roe sous vide)

I can make better eggs with less hassle than going sous vide so that likely won't be coming out for breakfast any more.

My wife had the same reaction to the salmon, but I really liked my moist and tender white fish.

Have you come up with any plan to make both of you happy that doesn't involve cooking fish two different ways?-)

Yes, I just cook it her way. I'm happier when she's happy. Both as a good husband and for practical reasons....life is too short.

I tried a few versions of corned beef in the sous vide and it came out great! One bag was just the corned beef and spices and the other bag had some beer and beef broth. I cooked them at 135 for about 36 hours. They weren't as tender as boiled corned beef, but the flavor was much better. I probably should have left it in for 48 hours like some of the recipes called for.

Yes, I just cook it her way. I'm happier when she's happy. Both as a good husband and for practical reasons....life is too short.

also, i can make pretty excellent eggs and fish a variety of ways. passing on this particular preparation isnt hindering my enjoyment of either much at all

i will say that while scrambled arent good enough for me to justify it, that some of the soft boiled options are convenient and delicious. and not an unfamiliar or surprising twist on the dish Edited by NoSaint

also, i can make pretty excellent eggs and fish a variety of ways. passing on this particular preparation isnt hindering my enjoyment of either much at all

i will say that while scrambled arent good enough for me to justify it, that some of the soft boiled options are convenient and delicious. and not an unfamiliar or surprising twist on the dish

Soft boiled eggs are great sous vide. My only complaint is that if you want a real presentation quality 63 degree egg you still need to boil it first to set the outer whites and shock it in ice water before tossing it in the bath or else white runs away. I've had similar success with just boiling for 5-6 mins and shocking in an ice bath.

i will say that while scrambled arent good enough for me to justify it, that some of the soft boiled options are convenient and delicious. and not an unfamiliar or surprising twist on the dish

I spent an afternoon testing eggs in sous vide. One of my favorite dishes is Eggs Benedict, and the key has always been to have the perfect egg. Firm outside...runny inside.

A dozen eggs later, I just couldn't get it as good a texture than straight up poaching them in a saute pan of simmering water with a bit of vinegar. Plus, poaching eggs is one of the easiest things to do once you get it down.

I spent an afternoon testing eggs in sous vide. One of my favorite dishes is Eggs Benedict, and the key has always been to have the perfect egg. Firm outside...runny inside.

A dozen eggs later, I just couldn't get it as good a texture than straight up poaching them in a saute pan of simmering water with a bit of vinegar. Plus, poaching eggs is one of the easiest things to do once you get it down.

one of my favorites too.

I can knock out good ones that way too, but when doing a bunch or really being particular about it-- i cannot nail the various stages of "doneness" with the same reliability and consistency of the sous vide option. they will be good, cause lets be real they are always good if you are in the ballpark, but getting that creamier yolk is a thing of beauty.

Edited by NoSaint

pastrami anyone? This sounds good..sous vide and smoke..but need at least 4 days of prep LOL

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/sous-vide-que-pastrami.html?utm_source=March+2017+Smoke+Signals+v2&utm_campaign=March+2017+SS&utm_medium=email

i do a ton of sous vide and smoking these days.

really, outside changing some water, its not that much prep WORK, just a lot of time sitting. this might end up happening.

I just saw that email, and I have to admit it's kind of intriguing, but I don't need a better bag. Foodsaver works very well.

Yeah, I buy 50 foot rolls and can customize bag sizes depending on the meal. I love that advantage, and I freely admit I'm too lazy to want to deal with cleaning and storing.

pastrami anyone? This sounds good..sous vide and smoke..but need at least 4 days of prep LOL

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/sous-vide-que-pastrami.html?utm_source=March+2017+Smoke+Signals+v2&utm_campaign=March+2017+SS&utm_medium=email

Just threw two of these in the bath after they spent the day in cold water. Will ice them down Friday a.m. and smoke them Saturday. Never did pastrami so I'm looking forward to this. Gonna have to pick up some Jewish rye and make pastrami rubens on Sunday.