Sous Vide - Virgin Journey Today! Advice?

plenzmd1

Thinking about trying a couple swordfish steaks tonight. I usually marinate in teriyaki sauce and grill the steaks while basting with melted butter and minced garlic. I really like the flavor that this method provides. I have never tried them in the sous vide. Any suggestions? I have the time and temp but I am unsure about what to put in the bag with the steaks. Should I just put a little teriyaki, butter and garlic powder? Or wait until I sear the steaks to add the butter and garlic?

Thinking about trying a couple swordfish steaks tonight. I usually marinate in teriyaki sauce and grill the steaks while basting with melted butter and minced garlic. I really like the flavor that this method provides. I have never tried them in the sous vide. Any suggestions? I have the time and temp but I am unsure about what to put in the bag with the steaks. Should I just put a little teriyaki, butter and garlic powder? Or wait until I sear the steaks to add the butter and garlic?

I'm eager to hear any suggestions, as we really enjoy swordfish. What bothers me is the Publix by my house in Atlanta charges about $36/lb for swordfish, while it is $9.99/lb at Kroger by my son's place in Nashville. How can that be? Makes me angry at Publix and I'm realizing how expensive they are in other things! Kroger by me rarely has it! UGH.

I'm eager to hear any suggestions, as we really enjoy swordfish. What bothers me is the Publix by my house in Atlanta charges about $36/lb for swordfish, while it is $9.99/lb at Kroger by my son's place in Nashville. How can that be? Makes me angry at Publix and I'm realizing how expensive they are in other things! Kroger by me rarely has it! UGH.

I have a great "farm market" near me that has an outstanding seafood counter. I can get dry scallops which are much better than the ones with preservative pumped into them and sear nicely and wild caught varieties of fish and shrimp. The quality is way above the supermarkets in my area. (The swordfish steaks are always $15.99/lb)

Edited by chknwing334

I have a great "farm market" near me that has an outstanding seafood counter. I can get dry scallops which are much better than the ones with preservative pumped into them and sear nicely and wild caught varieties of fish and shrimp. The quality is way above the supermarkets in my area. (The swordfish steaks are always $15.99/lb)

The Dekalb Farmers Market is so amazing we have taken out of town guests to see it on occasion. The problem is it's about 25 miles from my house. Wrong side of Atlanta. But it is friggin amazing! Every kind of fish, spice, whatever that I've ever heard of, then a ton of stuff I've NEVER heard of. Prices are amazing too. I shop almost every day, so convenience is key. Maybe I need to make the effort more often. Publix is pissing me off. They OWN most of the south with a location every 2 miles, and it's user friendly, but is disappointing in so many ways. The Krogers a mile in either direction from my son in Atlanta are both better than any Publix I've seen, but Kroger also has so-so locations too. Wide variance.

I'd marinate as usual and sous vide with the garlic. I'd wait on the butter use during the sear.

The swordfish was awesome! I marinated in teriyaki for about an hour and put a little pepper and garlic powder on before bagging it. I also put a tablespoon of olive oil and teriyaki sauce in the bag. 30 minutes at 130. I seared it in the cast iron pan with a little safflower oil (I like safflower for searing due to the high smoke point). I added a little butter with the steak as I seared it. Perfectly cooked and better than any swordfish I've done on the grill.

Edited by chknwing334

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying lobster sous vide for the second time tomorrow. The first time wasn't great but I think it might have been the jumbo tails.

I've used the sous vide so much more than I thought I would. A few times a week. Great investment!

Especially if you take time on the weekend to season and vacuum up some meats and stick them in the freezer. How great is it to have a fresh, clean meal with nominal effort during the week?

I just ordered a cooler to rig up as a big sous vide vessel. I figure I should be able to cook 5 or 6 big steaks at once. It will come in handy on the upcoming camping trip!

I got a 4-5 gallon cambro with a top for doing large batches or items. It's perfect! And again.....so easy.....

• 2 weeks later...

I sous vide'd some elk two weeks ago whilst visiting my gal's folks up in Montana! Elk requires a little higher temperature compared to beef, I believe. I tried at 134F and there was still quite a bit of of red.

We've got some really nice halibut steaks (she caught them up in Alaska last summer!) thawing as we speak, so I'll be sous vide'ing those tonight. Haven't tried fish before, so I'm excited. On a related note - Happy Lenten Friday to you all :)

Never had fish?

Ha! After I typed that, I knew it would be interpreted that way. +1 to you for calling it out and +1 for only taking three minutes to do so!

I have never tried sous vide-ing fishes.

I sous vide'd some elk two weeks ago whilst visiting my gal's folks up in Montana! Elk requires a little higher temperature compared to beef, I believe. I tried at 134F and there was still quite a bit of of red.

I've never tried elk, but I'll do a 130 for medium rare steak before it gets seared, so I suspect you want that temperature closer to 145 or so.

How does elk compare to cow? Are there different sections you can eat (i.e. porterhouse, filet, etc.) and is it considered tougher or leaner than cow?

I've never tried elk, but I'll do a 130 for medium rare steak before it gets seared, so I suspect you want that temperature closer to 145 or so.

How does elk compare to cow? Are there different sections you can eat (i.e. porterhouse, filet, etc.) and is it considered tougher or leaner than cow?

Yeah, I also usually do 129F or 130F for a medium rare cowsteak. I don't know about elk, but I know that we did backstraps. So maybe it's like a big giant deer? I salted and peppered it generously (like I do for cowsteak) and the seasoning was excellent.