Don't look now....Bills are now a "Top 10 Defense"

Big Turk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... we are the 6th best in scoring margin.

Have the 10th ranked Def.

8th highest scoring Off.

Tied for fewest turnovers w/Seattle.

And only 6-5.

#headscratcher

Just need a clutch qb and it's on.

TD vs Seattle. TD vs Ravens and we are 8-3 and feeling good.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Oh you said that the perception of the D was based greatly on luck........and this is the problem with threads like these........When a D is just mediocre each response just ultimately just ends up proving that point......in spite of what the apologist or overly negative point is.

The more games are played the less that things like misfortune can be used as an excuse.

Look at the way the team finished last season.......they were 6-8 and the D was perceived as awful.......but they closed with 2 strong performances after they were out of it and that made them just look mediocre....but possibly on the upswing.

As you said upstream to somebody else, did you read the post I was replying to?

Just need a clutch qb and it's on.

TD vs Seattle. TD vs Ravens and we are 8-3 and feeling good.

Two more TD's? 295 points thru 11 games without a single TD from Sammy Watkins?......the teams only thing even close to a #1 WR.......yeah that would be impressive.

The games you are talking about were characterized more by big defensive breakdowns.

Tyrod is weak at games end but 10 months after a feeble Peyton Manning won a SB it's hard to say that a QB who leads a top 8 scoring offense is an absolute deal breaker.

As you said upstream to somebody else, did you read the post I was replying to?

Yes and as I said..........when a D is middling you are going to have points (like your unlucky) and counter points (like my NOT unlucky) and in the end you still wind up where they are........middling.

Two more TD's? 295 points thru 11 games without a single TD from Sammy Watkins?......the teams only thing even close to a #1 WR.......yeah that would be impressive.

The games you are talking about were characterized more by big defensive breakdowns.

Tyrod is weak at games end but 10 months after a feeble Peyton Manning won a SB it's hard to say that a QB who leads a top 8 scoring offense is an absolute deal breaker.

Yes and as I said..........when a D is middling you are going to have points (like your unlucky) and counter points (like my NOT unlucky) and in the end you still wind up where they are........middling.

Yeah, and I don't disagree with any of the points you've made, other than misrepresenting what I said.

The post you quoted was me making a specific point about turnovers, nothing else.

The Ravens game is a fair gripe. But We also have 4 losses this season where we score 25 or more pts.

25 points doesn't = guaranteed Win tho

2nd pats game was a big bowl of garbage. The 25 vs the fins was also nice garbagetime TD. It's still not all good

Crunch time starts this weekend. Impress me Taylor. Please.

Ill also add the defense is mediocre because the scheme is so reliant on communication to be successful on every snap that eventually you are going to get a few !@#$ ups at some point. Football players aren't exactly the smartest people in the world.

We've seen that too many times over the last two years here.

I know this idea is out there but I'm not convinced.

Please explain to me the different schemes used in the NFL and how Rex's scheme is more reliant on communication than the other schemes in use.

As far as I know, all NFL schemes rely on good pre-snap communication. It's not the 1940s any more.

The problem has been - as we've all seen and the Bills have talked about - is that the pre-snap communication hasn't always been timely and accurate.

Edited by hondo in seattle

The difference between and old washed up Manning and TT is Manning could read the defense and know where to throw the ball, he just couldn't get the ball there anymore. TT has no idea where to go with the ball yet has all the physical tools.

The difference between and old washed up Manning and TT is Manning could read the defense and know where to throw the ball, he just couldn't get the ball there anymore. TT has no idea where to go with the ball yet has all the physical tools.

I don't think he trusts his accuracy. That knuckleball he threw to Goodwin. Wooooooof.

Manning couldn't make a series of throws at the end of the game to save his life by the time the playoffs came around.........but he didn't have to.

If you aren't trailing at the end......you don't need to drive the team to a decisive TD at the end.

Apparently you joined the thread late but not being ABLE to make the throws(Manning) is the same as not making the throws(Taylor).

Manning is a pretty extreme example of a sh*tty QB winning the SB......he threw 9 TD and 17 INT for f*cksake......so if a horrendously performing QB can do it then it's hardly mission impossible for a QB who leads a top 10 scoring offense and rarely turns the ball over.

And btw.....I am all for getting a great QB to replace Tyrod but the incessant b*tching about his passing with virtually zero examples cited of players to replace him with.....save for Jay Cutler, of course :rolleyes: ........is the opposite of a productive discussion on the topic.

That just reads like "Tyrod isn't Tom Brady and I am surprised".

Cite some examples of what QB they could reasonably acquire that you feel certain the Bills could be more successful with next year and then you have provided something to the discussion.

Otherwise.......just re-hashing the points that we know......Tyrod ain't great but there are somehow 24 teams that manage to score less with their QB's.......so maybe he isn't as bad as some think.

Bills have taken over 10th place in Yards allowed on defense and are 12th in Points allowed...

I think what this says is that scoring is up this year...

So for people saying the "D" is TERRIBLE...there are a lot worse this year...20 teams worse...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/sort/netYardsPerGame/position/defense

Where do they rank in 3rd down efficiency?

How about turnovers?

These are two categories that really matter?