Darby may lose job to White

MAJBobby

I disagree with this but I defer to you because you know better (I'm serious). To my eyes, Darby has better recovery speed than Gilmore but isn't as physical at the line. I do agree with you 100% that Darby needs to have a better understanding of the routes that he is defending.

last year id agree with you 100%.

The only disclaimer I have is that he is deer in the headlights this year and can't read the offense fast enough and make his cover

This is a huge reason why Belichick is so damn good. They say if you know yourself you'll win every time, generously taking liberty with General Tzu's book the art of war on the quote. Anyway, Belichick knows his scheme and can identify exactly what he needs in a player to execute it. Rex does not appear to be that talented.

Gilmore is more physical than Darby but Darby is trying to be physical right now and that holds him up a second longer and can't recover like gilmore who has a slight edge after hand fighting to engage down field. Darby gets stuck about a half second to 1.5 seconds every snap

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Darby needs to succeed or fail on his own. He hasn't shown the need to need safety coverage over the top. Gilmore against a #1 with high end safety coming to him would be a desired scheme.

Darby has been playing off the line some, gilmore too. Both are fast enough but Darby can't recover to transition. Him being able to jam at the line, keep inside coverage and staytoward the ball were his strengths last yr. Having a safety transition or roam the field made a difference.

What I would coach him to do today for the future in Wrex's scheme? He has to mentally slow down, study his opponents. Revis didn't need to, it was natural. Darby needs to identify his covers strengths in the route tree, his tendencies and most of all discover his adjustments in real time. Wrex's scheme is mental af. Darby's sophomore slump is his inability to simply wing it with talent.

I've seen Darby several times try to look back and lose his man. This is likely due to confidence or trust issues. If a player beats him inside he can't recover OR doesn't understande the scheme because he will lose coverage and has disengaged more than many times where the next cover guy doesn't pick up the cover.

This is just a few things, id need to show stills of film to do more specific

I have to say this is a fine post from you.

I do not think Gilmore should be asking for Safety help. He keeps his man so far in front of him his issue, to me at least. Giving a ten yard cushion is just too much for a press corner. Now if he came down to the LOS i would definitely agree to offer the assist of a double move. His hand work need to be done before 3 yard to disrupt.

Love your call on Darby !

Robey is a read and react guy. He need to be on top of the coverage and then come down to the ball.

Thanks for the honest and sincere response ;)

Then based on all of this: where do player competency and coaching meet? There has to be a point where a player is good enough to do the things that he's being coached to do, and a coach has to teach him well enough for him to understand. At this point, we're all just fighting about the margin.

But Darby has lost his job. Given how little we know, isn't that a strong indication that he's not holding up the expectations set for him?

don't like blondes, don't particularly care for malty seasonals, labatt is the boring standby and i'm not having 14 so miller lite is out.

that leaves us--regrettably--at sammy a

i was at a bachelor weekend in nashville (jesus christ, that town). i just started fantasizing about the bomber i'm going to buy when this day is over, will be my first one back.

not sure this will suffice, I'll keep it simple. We can't redo the roster, we can't just go find all new starters. We simply need a coah who can coach up the strengths and mask the weaknesses. So far all my arm chair eyes have seen tell me is that he brings out all weaknesses then fails to do what's justified

last year id agree with you 100%.

The only disclaimer I have is that he is deer in the headlights this year and can't read the offense fast enough and make his cover

This is a huge reason why Belichick is so damn good. They say if you know yourself you'll win every time, generously taking liberty with General Tzu's book the art of war on the quote. Anyway, Belichick knows his scheme and can identify exactly what he needs in a player to execute it. Rex does not appear to be that talented.

Gilmore is more physical than Darby but Darby is trying to be physical right now and that holds him up a second longer and can't recover like gilmore who has a slight edge after hand fighting to engage down field. Darby gets stuck about a half second to 1.5 seconds every snap

you really quoted art of war. dude you are one hell of a character :thumbsup:

I have to say this is a fine post from you.

I do not think Gilmore should be asking for Safety help. He keeps his man so far in front of him his issue, to me at least. Giving a ten yard cushion is just too much for a press corner. Now if he came down to the LOS i would definitely agree to offer the assist of a double move. His hand work need to be done before 3 yard to disrupt.

Love your call on Darby !

Robey is a read and react guy. He need to be on top of the coverage and then come down to the ball.

Thanks for the honest and sincere response ;)

go back the last few years, gilmore didn't play so far off. Remember, that's when he never got the INt's but had a few breakups? Remember that when he wouldn't get thrown to much?

not sure this will suffice, I'll keep it simple. We can't redo the roster, we can't just go find all new starters. We simply need a coah who can coach up the strengths and mask the weaknesses. So far all my arm chair eyes have seen tell me is that he brings out all weaknesses then fails to do what's justified

This is posted as we should all work here. When you get curt and shorten it to Rex sucks, little is taken from such a comment.

The bolded is abit more to chew upon as to your opinion.

go back the last few years, gilmore didn't play so far off. Remember, that's when he never got the INt's but had a few breakups? Remember that when he wouldn't get thrown to much?

yes yes yes.

and yes.

I sure as heck have noticed that exact thing.

DRIVES ME NUTS

This is posted as we should all work here. When you get curt and shorten it to Rex sucks, little is taken from such a comment.

The bolded is abit more to chew upon as to your opinion.

yes yes yes.

and yes.

I sure as heck have noticed that exact thing.

DRIVES ME NUTS

he should!have benched Mario, from all that I learned from Wawrow. Evidently, the chit chat here was still not all that on point with him. But, Mario should have been benched.

that leaves us--regrettably--at sammy a

i was at a bachelor weekend in nashville (jesus christ, that town). i just started fantasizing about the bomber i'm going to buy when this day is over, will be my first one back.

I'll have a better selection next time. But, that was a well enjoyed beer. Sat on the porch, news on the TV inside where I could hear it, a few trains down the road... Good beer.

Hope you get off work before its too late

he should!have benched Mario, from all that I learned from Wawrow. Evidently, the chit chat here was still not all that on point with him. But, Mario should have been benched.

Who will deserve to get benched next year? Shaq maybe? Because we'll know it isn't Rex's fault.

Who will deserve to get benched next year? Shaq maybe? Because we'll know it isn't Rex's fault.

kyl will be too old, we will need more "energy and have to fill in with the effort that kyle does. Kyle gives his all but we have to rotate guys in to keep him fresh"...

Also, we will have Washington struggle. I bet Rex is out mid season

That's the thing. Playing a press-man corner in off-man or zone isn't going to work that well. This is what I'm talking about when I say that the scheme isn't playing to the strengths of the corners, particularly Gilmore. For the sake of being versatile, you can't play press-man every snap but it should be a significant chunk of what you do given the personnel.

If it's a trend that continues all season, we absolutely shouldn't invest in Stephon. I think Darby stands a chance at being that versatile in the long-term though.

This.

well Rex making changes.. Nickell Robey benched. Kevon Seymour starts. good move. Seymour is a ball hawk.

this may change from week to week and be more of a matchup thing. Still think Robey will play in some packages but he can't compete for jump balls at 5'6" and all of cincys pass catchers are over 6' Edited by YoloinOhio

this may change from week to week and be more of a matchup thing. Still think Robey will play in some packages but he can't compete for jump balls at 5'6" and all of cincys pass catchers are over 6'

He also gambled and lost against Gronk where he had decent enough coverage. These guys are pressing, and playing with sloppy technique.

Meanwhile, Gilmore is whining to the media about being left in man coverage too often. Man do I hate that guy.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

It's funny- not really- but based on reputation and very casually following him I thought Rex with his scheming ability would buy us some freedom that Schwartz wouldn't (Schwartz needs about 4-5 very specific things to be good and his rankings will follow how close you are to giving them to him).

A year and a half later it feels like Rex needs a hall of fame safety, linebacker, cb, strong pass rusher, very particular line etc... to be the Rex of his reputation

Edited by NoSaint