First Cleveland, Now the Cubs.....

chaccof

How's that going?

Depodesta fires his scouting staff (who favored Wentz over Goff) 3 weeks before the draft. Then he says Wentz would not be top 20 QB. He and Hue Jidiot were high on Goff. Then he decided that they would be better off not drafting a QB in the first and shopped their pick to stockpile more picks for whenever. His "moneyball" solution? Dust off fragile headcase RG3.

Then he loses his kicker to injury. His moneyball solution? To ignore his ST coach's recommendation (Gould) and sign Cody Parker---so they could cave 500k (on a team with 48 million in cap space). Result? Parker immediately misses 3 FGs in a game that could have been won had he made one of them.

They trade for Collins, a guy soon to be a free agent who will demand a boatload of money.

The Browns are winless. There defense is the worst. Their offense is near the bottom in points scored. Their coach coaches them to close game losses (the ones that are close anyway)..They will likely have the 1st pick in the draft coming. In fact the only thing Depodesta is proficient at is growing his cap space and stockpiling picks.

No thanks.

How good is Wentz really? He hasn't looked too good the past several weeks now that teams have film on him and averaging 5 YPA isn't going to win many games going forward...

Hue Jackson is a good coach. I was hoping the Bills hired him. He did a really good job with a bad Oakland team and has been a good OC for a while.

That team is devoid of talent and has started 6!!! Different QBs this year. NO coach, not even Belichick would be winning with that roster under those circumstances...the fact they are competitive in as many games as they is nothing short of miraculous...

Edited by matter2003

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's that going?

Depodesta fires his scouting staff (who favored Wentz over Goff) 3 weeks before the draft. Then he says Wentz would not be top 20 QB. He and Hue Jidiot were high on Goff. Then he decided that they would be better off not drafting a QB in the first and shopped their pick to stockpile more picks for whenever. His "moneyball" solution? Dust off fragile headcase RG3.

Then he loses his kicker to injury. His moneyball solution? To ignore his ST coach's recommendation (Gould) and sign Cody Parker---so they could cave 500k (on a team with 48 million in cap space). Result? Parker immediately misses 3 FGs in a game that could have been won had he made one of them.

They trade for Collins, a guy soon to be a free agent who will demand a boatload of money.

The Browns are winless. There defense is the worst. Their offense is near the bottom in points scored. Their coach coaches them to close game losses (the ones that are close anyway)..They will likely have the 1st pick in the draft coming. In fact the only thing Depodesta is proficient at is growing his cap space and stockpiling picks.

No thanks.

The one thing some folks refuse to understand is that any idiot can create cap space and acquire picks. It's not hard to trade out of the #1 or #2 pick. It's not hard to not sign expensive players. It doesn't take any skill. Ask the 76ers.

Saving 500k AND helping get the first pick all at once.... maybe they do have a plan!

Does Depodesta know they can't go 0-17?

How good is Wentz really? He hasn't looked too good the past several weeks now that teams have film on him and averaging 5 YPA isn't going to win many games going forward...

Hue Jackson is a good coach. I was hoping the Bills hired him. He did a really good job with a bad Oakland team and has been a good OC for a while.

That team is devoid of talent and has started 6!!! Different QBs this year. NO coach, not even Belichick would be winning with that roster under those circumstances...the fact they are competitive in as many games as they is nothing short of miraculous...

You know which team didn't have to start 6 different QBs this year? The Eagles.

You know who has looked better than all 6 Browns QB this year? Wentz.

Your answer doesn't make much sense. Jackson and the baseball guy never even wanted Wentz--favoring the guy who has yet to crack the suspect QB starting roster in LA. They chose RG3 instead--and he lasted a single game. Let that sink in a bit.

Those QB "circumstances" were created by poor decisions by these two guys: they brought in RG3, Whitehurst, Kessler and Kevin Hogan to be the QB roster for a team that has sucked for years at QB.

The topic here is personnel management and you open by saying that that team is "devoid of talent"? Well, why continue your argument?--you've made my point.

Does Depodesta know they can't go 0-17?

You know which team didn't have to start 6 different QBs this year? The Eagles.

You know who has looked better than all 6 Browns QB this year? Wentz.

Your answer doesn't make much sense. Jackson and the baseball guy never even wanted Wentz--favoring the guy who has yet to crack the suspect QB starting roster in LA. They chose RG3 instead--and he lasted a single game. Let that sink in a bit.

Those QB "circumstances" were created by poor decisions by these two guys: they brought in RG3, Whitehurst, Kessler and Kevin Hogan to be the QB roster for a team that has sucked for years at QB.

The topic here is personnel management and you open by saying that that team is "devoid of talent"? Well, why continue your argument?--you've made my point.

What makes you think Wentz would have lasted when 6 others on that team haven't? Gee...could it possibly be their OLine is getting them killed?

Hey...I know he is a baseball person, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of what's happening with Cleveland, as they hired a baseball person to head up their front office...

All I know is the man has ended two of the longest World Series curses in baseball in the last 10 years...whatever he touches turns to gold, and Pegula has the deep pockets to get him to come here...

That's if he is willing to change sports I suppose...

And yeah, I realize that they are two different sports, but it's his system of how he does things that is ultimately winning for him not his scouting ability. System's are portable and can be fit to the personnel you have at your disposal...just ask Bill Belichick...

Good one.

What makes you think Wentz would have lasted when 6 others on that team haven't? Gee...could it possibly be their OLine is getting them killed?

Wentz has been hit more than any Browns QB.

The Chargers, the Falcons, the Bucs, the Colts have all given up pretty much the same hits/sacks as the Browns. How many games have their starters missed?

RG3 was a completely predictable failure due to injury---only the baseball guy and Jackson had not figured that out. He was gone in one game.

McCown is an ancient backup QB. Whitehurst lasted 2 quarters and left. He could have returned for another game, but since he sucked even to hard for the Browns, they dumped him and promoted Hogan off the PS.

So the answer to your question is obviously..."no".

These are problems created by the moneyball team because they don't know what they are you doing. Why would you wish that upon the Bills? Because Chicago won the WS??

Need a exceptional QB to win the SB. We have a good QB, not a great one. I like TT more than the last 10 QBs they've had in there, but he's not a guy who's wins the title for you unless he has Jamaal Lewis , Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and the gang backing him up. What is frustrating is we actually have all those supporting pieces but can't get them on the field at the same time for a season. Maybe I am off base, but many players today seem very poorly educated, immature and selfish, which leads to poor conditioning and dedication to the game. the outrageous $$ doesn't help with dedication. I don't think they see it as a profession, just a game that sets them up for life if they play the system correctly (don't get hurt play well enough to get to the 5th season payday, etc.) .

For example, look at Marquise Goodwin's Instagram posts. To me, the guy seems to be just screwing around with professional football. A kid from who knows where as interested in the new free shoes he gets from the company he endorses than the game. Heck, most pros are more interested in how their college team did than anything else. Their positive memories of football are college memories, not pro. The league is to blame for this. The game have become to some extent a marketing machine for apparel companies. I swear the game is secondary to the marketing piece. 22 minutes of action surrounded by 3 hours of marketing. And people wonder why interest is declining.

I am swinging back away from my usual position and advocating for drafting only high character guys... if the guy is talented but is a mess in the head (Dareus, the crazy LB on the Bengals, others ) for whatever understandable reason, you have to pass on them. they will burn you down the road.

Sorry, no sure how I got on this particular rant. not enough coffee yet. darn daylight savings time. I'm supposed to be sleeping at 6 30am.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

How's that going?

No thanks.

That's a lot of wrong information.

The Browns had the largest scouting dept in the NFL prior to letting some of their scouts go. They now have an average sized dept. The released scouts had varied opinions of Wentz, as did the retained scouts. You are right that they preferred Goff. RG3 was a shot in the dark. They're still looking for their QB, although Kessler is surprising. Currently he's the second rated rookie QB behind Dak Prescott.

The Browns signed a young kicker who has been to a Pro Bowl in Parker. You think they should have taken a 34 year kicker over him? He missed 3 of 6 FGs in his first game, but he hadn't even had a chance to practice with the squad before that game. He's made 11 of 12 since. Looks like the right long term move.

Collins is one of the top ILBs in the league and they got him for their 3rd round comp pick. They've got plenty of cap space to sign him long term, as well as the franchise tag. And if they don't they'll get a 3rd or 4th round comp pick back. How's that a bad move?

Hue Jackson is a better coach than Rex Ryan. I still wish Pegula had hired him and kept Schwartz. The Bills would be a better team. The Browns have very little talent, but they haven't given up and they've kept a lot of games close. If that FO uses their stockpiled picks wisely they'll be very competitive in a couple seasons. They did a complete tear down so it'll take time.