Bills Defense - average after all the changes (corrected)

San-O

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that you're incapable of following.

You haven't argued that injuries derailed the defense?

Not even here?

You seriously just compared those injuries to what the Bills have been through over the last 24 games?

But no, for real, Gilmore and Dareus missing a combined 3 starts crippled us in 2014.

Just like AW and KW missing a combined 23 starts in 2015. Seriously. It was the same.

Do you have DID?

What I've seen is a huge difference in results from game to game, with mostly the same players. I don't think it's a question of ability or talent, I think it's coaching. When Rex and crew figure out correctly what an opponent is going to try to do, they install effective schemes to prevent it, and the defense looks great. Otherwise, not. The Jets game was the worst example. Rex loaded the box to stop the run, leaving our DBs without safety help, and our guys kept getting out-jumped on high passes. Why he didn't change at halftime is a mystery to me. The first NE game wasn't a shutout only because Brady wasn't playing. Rex guessed right about what NE would try to do, and it worked. Against Miami, their RB was gashing the Bills right from the start. Our D collapsed in the 4th quarter from exhaustion due to our incompetent O, but they didn't have it figured out anyway, which is inexcusable since the same RB had over 200 yards the previous game.

I'll grant you that Dareus' absence has been a huge factor, made worse by the progressive thinning of our D line over the past few years. When Schwartz was here we had enough good D linemen to have two full 4-man lines staffed with above average to great players. Now, not so much. Mario Williams was getting old anyway, but Alan Branch is now playing well for NE. Three years ago the loss of Dareus wouldn't have hurt so much. This year, he might have been the difference against Miami.

It's Gilmore, eww. That's the biggest problem. And now no good safeties. Rex better figure out some great QB pressure packages or we're going to get killed week after week.

No.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion that you're incapable of following.

Can you explain how the first drive of the Jets game and the first drive of the NE game falls on the offense?

Both set the tone for the losses. One was straight off the kickoff and the other was after the offense sustained a scoring drive.

Was the defense anticipating the offense would have 3 and outs later in the game and tried to preemptively play crappy? Was that why they rolled Robey in to 1-1 against Gronk? Because TT's next pass was going to be high?

Can you explain how the first drive of the Jets game and the first drive of the NE game falls on the offense?

Both set the tone for the losses. One was straight off the kickoff and the other was after the offense sustained a scoring drive.

Was the defense anticipating the offense would have 3 and outs later in the game and tried to preemptively play crappy? Was that why they rolled Robey in to 1-1 against Gronk? Because TT's next pass was going to be high?

Why would I? I've stated very clearly that the defenses had poor performances in those games. I have been very clear that the meltdown in Miami was due to the offense but that that didn't apply to NYJ and NE. I have stated these things several times and in no uncertain terms.

What I've seen is a huge difference in results from game to game, with mostly the same players. I don't think it's a question of ability or talent, I think it's coaching. When Rex and crew figure out correctly what an opponent is going to try to do, they install effective schemes to prevent it, and the defense looks great. Otherwise, not. The Jets game was the worst example. Rex loaded the box to stop the run, leaving our DBs without safety help, and our guys kept getting out-jumped on high passes. Why he didn't change at halftime is a mystery to me. The first NE game wasn't a shutout only because Brady wasn't playing. Rex guessed right about what NE would try to do, and it worked. Against Miami, their RB was gashing the Bills right from the start. Our D collapsed in the 4th quarter from exhaustion due to our incompetent O, but they didn't have it figured out anyway, which is inexcusable since the same RB had over 200 yards the previous game.

I'll grant you that Dareus' absence has been a huge factor, made worse by the progressive thinning of our D line over the past few years. When Schwartz was here we had enough good D linemen to have two full 4-man lines staffed with above average to great players. Now, not so much. Mario Williams was getting old anyway, but Alan Branch is now playing well for NE. Three years ago the loss of Dareus wouldn't have hurt so much. This year, he might have been the difference against Miami.

It's Gilmore, eww. That's the biggest problem. And now no good safeties. Rex better figure out some great QB pressure packages or we're going to get killed week after week.

It's okay as Rex Ryan will ask the team to keep using #1 picks for his defense all the way up until he is fired in 2019. It's what he did with the NY Jets.

One dimensional offensive teams don't go very far in the NFL with a mediocre defense.

I for one don't get the love for the bloated one as he was supposed to build an elite defense from day one and all Bills fans get is excuses!

Through the first 9 minutes of the third quarter Miami had scored 6 points on 129 yards of offense over six drives. Can we please acknowledge that they were not "gashed from the start?"

Otherwise, I mostly agree here.

But, fundamentally, I don't fault a coach for putting his players in a position to make plays only to have them fail, which is what we saw repeatedly against NYJ. Players make plays. Theirs did, ours didn't. And, contrary to what you said, they were switching things constantly against NYJ, nothing was working because their players (esp Fitz) made plays, and ours didn't. I am very hard line on this. And I acknowledge that there are fans that disagree. Oh well.

It wasn't as egregious against New England, simply by virtue of it being New England, a team that rolls 14 opponents annually. I mean seriously, outside a perfect game plan and execution, what else could we have expected? As I posted in another thread;

We got up 3-0, then they got up 7-3, then we went three and out, then they got up 14-3 and we went three and out again. At that point, with 14:50 to go in the second quarter, because it's New England, the game was basically lost. Our offense wasn't going to outscore them and our defense wasn't going to buy them the time they would have otherwise needed to do so. Sucks balls playing them twice a year, basically.

Edited by The Big Cat

Sounds like a really dumb idea to run a system predicated on an above average safety whose head has been in danger of falling off for two years then, isn't it?

I don't see the offense running a system based on Goodwin staying healthy.

You MAY!!!! You just may!!!

Denver's defense: not impacted by three and outs, whatsoever.

They had the most 3 and outs in the league before tonight. They still overall are fielding a top 5 defense. Nobody has said 3 and outa don't hurt. Just that it is not sufficient excuse for our D. None of the excuses for our D's inconsistency are. We just need to play more consistent down the stretch - both sides of the ball.