Only 2 Ints Through 7 Games - Thoughts?

HardyBoy

My take is they are playing it safe and the lack of picks is less a result of elite play and more a result of safe play design, which discourages anticipation throws.

That last drive, granted from the tv broadcast, looked like Tyrod was driving the ball down the middle of the field, into tight windows, with anticipation.

That throw to Goodwin isn't a hosiptal ball if it's to Watkins, or Woods and Clay even. Granted the dolphins were giving the middle of the field, but that was the qb we saw last year for stretches that got us excited.

Hoping some people with real football knowledge could weigh in and explain to me what I was seeing in that last drive, and if the two interception number through 7 games is more a sign of a muzzle vs excellent decision making and ball control.

On what planet did he excel on the final drive? Most of our first downs were from penalties...

Fair, let's say just plays where he had actual time to set his feet on throws. Miami was in his face within 2 seconds on a bumch of those plays. He made 3-4 solid throws on that drive (from my depressed memory:)), which appeared to be anticipation throws, seeing he rarely had enough time to let a play develop.

How many throws did he have down the middle of the field 15-25 yards in the entire game, and how many were on that last drive? What percentage of his throws into tight windows over the entire season came on that last drive? What % of passes 15-25 yards over the middle are intercepted league wide, how many is Tyrod throwing, and does that explain the low int number?

When you dont throw alot, you dont get INT's. Plenty of great QB's have won games where they threw 4 INT's.

Absolutely, it's a risk reward thing. When you're averaging 7 yards a run, no need to risk the picks, when you're up 11 in the second half, no need to risk the picks.

My guess is teams took the middle throw away from the bills the last 4 games and made the run beat them. It worked, Shady and co went off, but today looks like there is tape on how to successfully adjust, which is going to be repeated goimg forward. Unless the oline simply got tired in the heat, Tyrod is going to need to start hitting those middle of the field throws, or we might be looking at this offense getting figured out like in 02 and 03.

we should try to get fitzpatrick back this offseason, he throws over the middle. tannehill didnt throw much today difference is they had 250 yards rushing. tyrod didnt have a good game but also didnt have any help from anyone on the offense, cant believe people are blaming him for the loss.

On what planet did he excel on the final drive? Most of our first downs were from penalties...

We were terrible on the final drive...without the free first downs on penalties it would have ended long before we scored.

OLine was TERRIBLE going back to most of the 4th Quarter in their pass blocking, and were beyond terrible with their run blocking the whole game. They got owned today. And with No healthy WR's, and a hobbled Shady, you can't have the strength of your team getting their lunch handed to them the entire game and expect good things are going to happen...

Its funny how our "experts" even find fault with tyrod's lack of int's - amazing. For the love of God, look who he has been throwing to this year. Look at the stats of the Savior in PHI today or the STL qb. I wonder how you "experts" would be if we had a qb like Fitzpatrick??

Absolutely, it's a risk reward thing. When you're averaging 7 yards a run, no need to risk the picks, when you're up 11 in the second half, no need to risk the picks.

My guess is teams took the middle throw away from the bills the last 4 games and made the run beat them. It worked, Shady and co went off, but today looks like there is tape on how to successfully adjust, which is going to be repeated goimg forward. Unless the oline simply got tired in the heat, Tyrod is going to need to start hitting those middle of the field throws, or we might be looking at this offense getting figured out like in 02 and 03.

The OLine just got manhandled today...teams had been trying the same thing and we still ran all over them...

Kelly was obviously a better QB then Tyrod is

Tyrod is more of a "weapon" in this offense

Oh, of course. I know. I was just making a case that INT's dont matter to the great QB's. And i was wrong, Kelly did not have four INT games that he won. He did have 3 INT games that he won though.

we should try to get fitzpatrick back this offseason, he throws over the middle. tannehill didnt throw much today difference is they had 250 yards rushing. tyrod didnt have a good game but also didnt have any help from anyone on the offense, cant believe people are blaming him for the loss.

I'm not blaming him, and I think that some of those throws on the last drive show that he can throw with anticipation, so it's an offensive philosophy sort of thing.

I would guess most games you are up by 11 in the second half, you win with that strategy, especially this team's defense over the past 6 of 7 games.

I'm just curious if two ints is a good thing or a sign of the handcuffing of half your offense. What are the odds of a team making the playoffs with fewer than say 6 picks in a year?

Its funny how our "experts" even find fault with tyrod's lack of int's - amazing. For the love of God, look who he has been throwing to this year. Look at the stats of the Savior in PHI today or the STL qb. I wonder how you "experts" would be if we had a qb like Fitzpatrick??

So in the OP I was asking for people with real football knowledge to help explain to me what I was seeing, which is me flat out admitting I have no idea what I am watching strategy wise. Especially without taking a heavy look at the all-22, and even then I would be shocked if I could figure out what was going on past a Madden level of understanding. So, surely you aren't refering to me as a self described expert, right?