A few thoughts about the 49ers Game (Tribute to BillFromNYC)

Virgil

Good stuff. Here are some of my thoughts:

- Tyrod showed me something yesterday (and against the Rams). The huge passing numbers aren't there, but what I see is a patient QB going through reads, using the entire field (including the middle of it), and making checks at the LOS. These are subtle signs of tremendous improvement that many fans seem to be ignoring or just not noticing. He's becoming a full QB.

- I've seen talk here about Tyrod's footwork not being good enough. First of all, his footwork within the pocket was excellent yesterday - he was side-stepping and re-setting, keeping his eyes downfield and making accurate throws on the run. Now, it's true that he still is a "wrist-flicker" as a thrower, and doesn't always step into his throws. But for whatever reason it doesn't seem to cost him anything in terms of accuracy. His TD throw to Hunter was a ridiculous little wrist-flick off his back foot which somehow caught Hunter in stride, 30 yards downfield. I've never seen a throwing motion quite like it.

- As good as the offense and running game was yesterday, I still think they miss 2015 Karlos.

- The run blocking yesterday was an absolute clinic. It was a complicated power-running, pulling scheme tailed for a non-power back, executed to perfection. Richie had his best game of 2016 (I've thought he's looked just average so far this year, but not yesterday). Cordy was ridiculous in pass pro. Wood was a beast yesterday. The timing was perfect and the holes were enormous. Aaron Kromer is an unsung hero on this coaching staff. These guys are playing lights out right now.

- Some nit-picking: Preston Brown has struggled in pass coverage/drops for a few weeks in a row now. Stephon Gilmore continues to be my least favorite Bill - he plays soft, unfocused, and selfish. I won't be sad to see him go. Jerry Hughes was a beast yesterday but as always, you have to take the bad with the good - he freelanced quite a bit and left some big holes that were exploited by the 49ers for big runs; the missed safety was classic Jerry. Corbin Bryant continues to look terrible to me this year - they need Dareus back ASAP. Bob Woods killed me yesterday when he angrily and intentionally ran into contact as they were closing out the half - it was a stupid, selfish play that got him injured and cost the team valuable seconds (he could've just run out of bounds to stop the clock). Last "negative" - the Bills' D is somewhat held back by its safeties. With better safeties this defense would go from "very good" to "elite." They need to find a replacement for Corey Graham, who loses track of WRs downfield and no longer has the speed to beat running backs to the edge.

- Game Balls: Kyle Williams, Zach Brown, Shady, Richie, Tyrod.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^ agree on the woods play..considering our depth he has to get OOB there.

On a positive, and i know i will get killed, but i really like EJ on this team. I know he almost threw that pick, but i can attribute that to rust and not getting many reps for the last 7 weeks. I am sure he will want to go somewhere where he has a chance to compete for the job, but damn it would be great if he stayed here as the backup.

Edited by plenzmd1

i am as big a supporter of EJ and wanted him to be our starter, but I am loving how he is being used. This offense is very creative and has a lot of different weapons that can step in to keep defenses off guard.

^^^^^ agree on the woods play..considering our depth he has to get OOB there.

On a positive, and i know i will get killed, but i really like EJ on this team. I know he almost threw that pick, but i can attribute that to rust and not getting many reps for the last 7 weeks. I am sure he will want to go somewhere where he has a chance to compete for the job, but damn it would be great if he stayed here as the backup.

My first game of the season to attend. The thing I noticed most about Tyrod today, isn't the lack of going through progressions, or accuracy. I think his biggest downfall is being willing to plant his feet, deliver the ball, and take a hit on the defender. There were some opportunities, where he was looking at an open receiver, but bailed out on it. If he can stand in the pocket here and there, take the hit, and throw the ball, we will see more out of the offense.