Tracking the defense...

GunnerBill

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three and out % on offense has nothing to do with hurting your defense!

I checked and it has MINUS.2 to MINUS .3 correlation with the defensive stats (yards, Points, Yds/play, Expected Pts allowed.)

As a matter of fact,the five best teams at avoiding three and outs have an average D ranking of 27th. the 5 worst-average D ranking is 16!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info! :lol:

Edit, I remember before Aaron Williams was the Golden Excuse, it was actually Brandon Spikes. That's right, Schwartz' defense was good and Rex' bad because JS had Brandon Spikes and Rex last year did not. True story :lol: :lol:

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

• 2 weeks later...

After week 14:

Yards per game allowed: Rank - 18th (Down 6)
Pass YPG allowed: Rank - 8th (unchanged)

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 28th (Down 2)
Points per game allowed: Rank - 17th (unchanged)

3rd down %: Rank - 25nd (Down 3)
Sacks: Rank - 6th (Down 3)
Takeaways: Rank - 16th (Up 2)

Points Per Drive: Rank - 22nd (Down 5)

% of drives ending in scores: Rank - 22nd (Down 5)

The excuses need to stop.

Fifth?

Prove it and show me the heat map.

That you've brought me up at all is weird. That you've done it several times--trying to worm away from it on a technicality won't dispel this truth--is sad. It truly is.

I think it speaks to your general character that you puff yourself up as some kind of anonymous tough guy when presented with the opportunity to rub somebody's face in disappointment, to gloat about being a deterrent to somebody's enjoyment of something, no matter how trivial. It truly is a baffling use of your finite time on this planet. It's petty, and it's small and it's bizarre. Is it really hard to understand that someone would rather just not associate with people like you on a message board?

Make no mistake, you're not alone. In the past couple weeks I've seen tomes written about why everyone's wrong about our standout RB. Can't understand why people move away from this board from time to time? Can't grasp how things here become loathsome and pointless when tiny, rotten people like you have their way at the expense of other people's happiness?

No, of course not. You'd rather mock efforts people make to contribute to this board in a positive way. Hell of a way to go through life.

Edited by The Big Cat

That you've brought me up at all is weird. That you've done it several times--trying to worm away from it on a technicality won't dispel this truth--is sad. It truly is.

I think it speaks to your general character that you puff yourself up as some kind of anonymous tough guy when presented with the opportunity to rub somebody's face in disappointment, to gloat about being a deterrent to somebody's enjoyment of something, no matter how trivial. It truly is a baffling use of your finite time on this planet. It's petty, and it's small and it's bizarre. Is it really hard to understand that someone would rather just not associate with people like you on a message board?

Make no mistake, you're not alone. In the past couple weeks I've seen tomes written about why everyone's wrong about our standout RB. Can't understand why people move away from this board from time to time? Can't grasp how things here become loathsome and pointless when tiny, rotten people like you have their way at the expense of other people's happiness?

No, of course not. You'd rather mock efforts people make to contribute to this board in a positive way. Hell of a way to go through life.

Using the "I'm clearly more intelligent than all you little ants too silly and ignorant to admit I'm correct" posting style and then posting something like this truly requires a double take.

Weren't you trying to rub Badol's face in his Shady takes just this year? Do you own a mirror in that glass house of yours?

Edited by jmc12290

Again...you're not pointing to a single measurement of three and outs in bunches. That's the key difference.

OMG.

If you punt the ball a lot.........you are going to string together series where you punt the ball consecutively.

How many times do we have to see an in game graphic illustrating where some team has gone 5-7 unsuccessful drives in a row?

Usually there are turnovers and/or end of halves involved as well.........neither of which is any LESS impactful than a 3 and out.

After week 15:

Yards per game allowed: Rank - 15th (Up 3)

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 27th (Up 1)

Points per game allowed: Rank - 14th (Up 3)

3rd down %: Rank - 22nd (Up 3)

Sacks: Rank 3rd (Up 3)

Takeaways: Rank - 20th (Down 4)

Points Per Drive: Rank - 22nd (unchanged)

% of drives ending in scores: Rank - 22nd (unchanged)

Apologies for being so late that the TNF game is in these numbers but I am home with the family for the holidays so been busy with family stuff.

Edited by GunnerBill

I was always one who thought this season would stand or fall on whether Rex could figure the D out and get it back on track. The first 4 weeks have been largely encouraging that one disaster against the Jets notwithstanding.

So I thought I'd start a thread to track where we are week by week in the key categories.

So after week 4:

Yard per game allowed: Rank - 17th

Pass YPG allowed: Rank - 17th

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 13th

Points per game allowed: Rank - 6th

3rd down %: Rank - 10th

Sacks: Rank - 3rd

Takeaways: Rank - 5th

Interesting, however the season got away again from the Bills during the 3 game losing streak... season over.

33.3 avg points / game against.

Oct. 23

@ Miami L 28-25 Oct. 30 New England L 41-25 Nov. 7 @ Seattle L 31-25

After week 15:

Yards per game allowed: Rank - 15th (Up 3)

Rush YPG allowed: Rank - 27th (Up 1)

Points per game allowed: Rank - 14th (Up 3)

3rd down %: Rank - 22nd (Up 3)

Sacks: Rank 3rd (Up 3)

Takeaways: Rank - 20th (Down 4)

Points Per Drive: Rank - 22nd (unchanged)

% of drives ending in scores: Rank - 22nd (unchanged)

Apologies for being so late that the TNF game is in these numbers but I am home with the family for the holidays so been busy with family stuff.

For a defense on a team where the offense doesn't turn the ball over much these numbers are just BAD.

Factor in the weak opponents.......which Dave did in his FO post.........and this D is more of a mid-20's unit.

Thanks for keeping these coming.

Currently, 27th against the run tells me that Ryan's defense is not only bad, it's embarrassingly bad. 31st in rushing TD's allowed.

At this point, I don't know what new head coach I want to see in Buffalo an offensive or defensive minded guy. Perhaps another special teams guy like Marv or Harbaugh.

Currently, 27th against the run tells me that Ryan's defense is not only bad, it's embarrassingly bad. 31st in rushing TD's allowed.

At this point, I don't know what new head coach I want to see in Buffalo an offensive or defensive minded guy. Perhaps another special teams guy like Marv or Harbaugh.

A barista could put too much cream in your coffee and you'd blame it on Rex's defense.

And yet there are still people defending his defense....

Perhaps he likes Rex Ryan's defense when it gives up another 200-yard rushing day to a Dolphins RB for the second time in a season. Or maybe he enjoys watching the buffalo defense giving up almost 500 yards of offense to the 26th ranked Miami offense twice in a season.

Buffalo had 589 yards of offense against Miami and it wasn't enough because the defense couldn't make a stop when needed.

I happen to like this year's version of Rex Ryan where he keeps his mouth shut and does his job. The problem is his version of a defense is outdated and no longer viable in today's NFL and the current defensive players will need to relearn how to tackle.

Goodbye, Rex!

Perhaps he likes Rex Ryan's defense when it gives up another 200-yard rushing day to a Dolphins RB for the second time in a season. Or maybe he enjoys watching the buffalo defense giving up almost 500 yards of offense to the 26th ranked Miami offense twice in a season.

Buffalo had 589 yards of offense against Miami and it wasn't enough because the defense couldn't make a stop when needed.

I happen to like this year's version of Rex Ryan where he keeps his mouth shut and does his job. The problem is his version of a defense is outdated and no longer viable in today's NFL and the current defensive players will need to relearn how to tackle.

Goodbye, Rex!

The defense was exhausted from cheering on the offense..or something.