Bills vs. Cardinals Postgame

26CornerBlitz

Bills fast start, solid defense grounds Cards in 33-18 win

mccoy-game-recap-9-25.jpg

A recap of Buffalo's Week 3 win over the Arizona Cardinals.

@TBNSports

.@gggaughan's Hot Read: With Anthony Lynn pushing right buttons, the #Bills get their mojo back: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/09/25/mark-gaughans-hot-read-lynn-pushing-right-buttons-bills-got-mojo-back/

@Sportsnet

Bills bounce back with a massive win over the Cardinals: http://sprtsnt.ca/2cNXYhx

CtOnBqYWAAEZEkF.jpg
CtOjZYYWYAExecx.jpg

NFL.com: Shady slashes Cards

Without wideout Sammy Watkins, the Bills relied on running back LeSean McCoy, who rushed for 110 yards in 17 carries with two touchdowns. Here is what we've learned from Week 3 so far

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, who is suckered back in?

I'm not quite yet. They have to beat the Brady-less Patriots* for me to be fully bought in again after those first two disasters, but they at least looked like a competent NFL team today. McCoy looked like his old self and the defense played up to expectations.

I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out if the Cards were just really bad, or if the Bills were good. The 4 INTs were all in the fourth quarter on throws that Palmer was forcing due to time running short and/or a bad route from his WR. AZ historically plays poor 1PM games on the east coast. I wasn't particularly impressed with Taylor, either... accuracy is still a problem and he had only 150 yards of passing although the game plan was clearly run first today, so that's somewhat excused.

The one thing that they are going to absolutely have to change next week is the penalties. 9 penalties for 75 yards and Arizona got 3 first downs off of penalties... you cannot do that against NE* and expect to win. Jerry Hughes, Cyrus Kouandjio, and the secondary in particular should pay attention to that.

I'm not quite yet. They have to beat the Brady-less Patriots* for me to be fully bought in again after those first two disasters, but they at least looked like a competent NFL team today. McCoy looked like his old self and the defense played up to expectations.

I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out if the Cards were just really bad, or if the Bills were good. The 4 INTs were all in the fourth quarter on throws that Palmer was forcing due to time running short and/or a bad route from his WR. AZ historically plays poor 1PM games on the east coast. I wasn't particularly impressed with Taylor, either... accuracy is still a problem and he had only 150 yards of passing although the game plan was clearly run first today, so that's somewhat excused.

The one thing that they are going to absolutely have to change next week is the penalties. 9 penalties for 75 yards and Arizona got 3 first downs off of penalties... you cannot do that against NE* and expect to win. Jerry Hughes, Cyrus Kouandjio, and the secondary in particular should pay attention to that.

Good post. I agree, I'll be all in win with a win next week. Sure, this weeks game plan was run first, but I worry that when a team unlike Arizona figures out how to shut it down it's then on TT. TT's issues as a passer this season worry me as to how well that would go. I expect the Pats to play far more disciplined to shut down the run. I think the game will be forced more on TT's shoulders. If this happens, and we win I'm in . Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Good post. I agree, I'll be all in win with a win next week. Sure, this weeks game plan was run first, but I worry that when a team unlike Arizona figures out how to shut it down it's then on TT. TT's issues as a passer this season worry me as to how well that would go. I expect the Pats to play far more disciplined to shut down the run. I think the game will be forced more on TT's shoulders. If this happens, and we win I'm in .

A win next week and it actually will be "game on" for Buffalo's playoff chances. I have to wonder if the Bills start to the season is just an issue of getting into game time form. They really did not put their starters out there in the preseason. Hopefully they are just getting the ball rolling.

Edited by Rockinon

I don't understand this suckered in and need a win to be all back in. Maybe it's who I am but this is the team I root for so I'm always all in. There is no halfway for me.

I can explain it. I'm talking about my vote of confidence in the coaching staff, players, and front office. To be brutally honest, given past history, they have to show me more than a single game against an NFC opponent. I'm not "all in" that this team is good. After those first two games, they need to show me more.

Do I always root for the team? Absolutely. But I'm not going to "suckered" into thinking this is a playoff-bound team until I see sustained success over the course of the season. Beating NE* would be a major step towards that... winning in late October through November would be an even bigger one.

I can explain it. I'm talking about my vote of confidence in the coaching staff, players, and front office. To be brutally honest, given past history, they have to show me more than a single game against an NFC opponent. I'm not "all in" that this team is good. After those first two games, they need to show me more.

Do I always root for the team? Absolutely. But I'm not going to "suckered" into thinking this is a playoff-bound team until I see sustained success over the course of the season. Beating NE* would be a major step towards that... winning in late October through November would be an even bigger one.

I don't think anyone is going to say this team is good but they had a good, if not great, game. Need to keep having them every week to make us consistent billievers.

Rex Ryan: "It was a great team effort" (10:06)
Bills head coach Rex Ryan talks following his team's 33-18 win over the Cardinals. Ryan discussed the defensive effort, winning the turnover battle, and the offensive game plan under offensive coordinator Anthony Lynn.

Tyrod Taylor: "We came together and got a win" (6:11)
Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor talks following the team's 33-18 win over the Cardinals. Taylor discusses the offensive game plan and the big plays made in the run game and on defense.

Aaron Williams: "I Wanted It More That Play" (2:26)
S Aaron Williams recaps his special teams scoop and score, the bounce back performance of the defense and more.

I'll be honest here as some things leave me somewhat apprehensive about this game. Like, how good are the Cardinals this year when the only team they beat is the 49ers who are also about to be 1-3 and are currently getting smoked 37-3 most of that game against the Seahawks!

I have to ask myself if the Cards are as bad as they looked by attempting to throw deep all day instead of just trying to get first downs. Palmer had 4 INT's looking like crap throwing all those bombs. Very strange game plan for them, really. Arizona had more first downs, more ToP, and less penalties.

Then, the Jets looked pretty darn good last Thursday and they are getting beaten up by the Chiefs 17-3. Then Baltimore not looking that great win a win against the 0-3 Jags 19-17.

I don't know how many more games the Bills can win with Tyrod 17 of 110, one INT. Clearly, when the opponent shuts down the Bills run game this get really bad for Buffalo and when the run game works it gives them a chance.

^ Well said.

We all know that Belicheat will be pulling out all the stops to shut down Shady next Sunday. Tyrod needs to throw the ball better than he did today and the defense needs to play just as good as it did today. If they can do that and avoid the dumb penalties and turnovers when it hurts the most, they at least stand a chance.

I don't understand this suckered in and need a win to be all back in. Maybe it's who I am but this is the team I root for so I'm always all in. There is no halfway for me.

[fistbump]

I will always root for my team. Never for a tank. Never for a draft pick. Never for anyone to get fired. Just win, dammit.