New "Simplified Offense"

DirtDart

Not going to debate, or argue, the order. The defense needs some work, but something needed to be done with the offense as well...

It about 18 games is the spin..... Offense did more than enough to win last week. And was the strong part of the Bills last year, so strong they didn't need to invest any assets into it.

Defense was bad last year. Had all the focus and assets put into it this year. Is still bad. Yet because there is no outsider like Donnie Henderson Rex cant fire from that staff to send a message. Instead fires the last outsider on the team and that was Gregg Roman. Now he has his boy on Offense as well. Lynn.

So the talking continues this time with the throw the old OC under the bus, and talk in vague terms of get playmakers ball etc. Playbook too big. Not ONE answer from Lynn said anything about say route concepts or yea we are putting screens and slants into the game.

Its fine.... I am on the wait and see approach, but I have heard enough talking and not enough on field success from the Rex Ryan coaching staff

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt that was frustrating to watch, but the funny thing is, if EJ doesn't fumble on 3rd and 1, it's a first down. the play actually worked, EJ fumbled and lost a half yard...

And if Taylor Hits Watkins on the very open play there is a TD not a turnover because of the bad pass.

The play designs worked. Roman cant get out there and execute the play too

Sustaining offense by converting 3rd downs will help the defense too. The continual 3 and outs through the course of games are tough.

Over the past 18 games, no team has had a higher percentage of three and outs.

I suspect it gives you flexibility depending on what the defense is doing. For example 10 plays in one system could just be a bunch of variants represented by one play in another, but are various scripted reactions based on the defensive look.

At the end of the day, there are all sorts of factoids condemning Romons approach. It will only hold valid if we start seeing some execution. Otherwise it was just another splashy move without substance.

Yeah. I understand why you'd have 90 plays. I don't understand why you'd have 90 plays when there doesn't seem to be an emphasis on sustaining a high volume of snaps.

Sustaining offense by converting 3rd downs will help the defense too. The continual 3 and outs through the course of games are tough.

We were 9/20 on 3rd down and 2/2 on 4th down in that week 17 jets game. We also had 3 drives in that game that were 12 or more plays. And the only guy gaining yards on the ground was TT. What changed from that gameplan?

We were 9/20 on 3rd down and 2/2 on 4th down in that week 17 jets game. We also had 3 drives in that game that were 12 or more plays. And the only guy gaining yards on the ground was TT. What changed from that gameplan?

I'm sorry. Do you mean to use these stats to suggest that three and outs have not been a problem for this team?

He said the same thing about the Roman Offense last year...

Now apparently it was such a bad offense is the spin.

Gotcha, yea blaming Roman is BS, they were all singing his praises last yr, our problem is TT can' QB. The problem I have with Roman was not having a modern passing attack and forcing guys into something they are not by making our finesse players run a power scheme when we just don't have that personnel. He tried to make us the 49ers when we didn't have those guys.

Wrong! They were 3 for 10 on 3rd down and 1 for 2 on 4th down.

Edit: I see you're referring to 2015.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Gotcha, yea blaming Roman is BS, they were all singing his praises last yr, our problem is TT can' QB. The problem I have with Roman was not having a modern passing attack and forcing guys into something they are not by making our finesse players run a power scheme when we just don't have that personnel. He tried to make us the 49ers when we didn't have those guys.

I agree I also have a problem with Roman with that. I am also not sure he coaches a modern Passing attack but that was not why he was hired. He was hired because he fits Rex's ground and pound run first and play defense concepts.

The issue I have is he was fired because he installed the exact offense the Head Coach wanted, but was the outsider in the Rex circle, so when the season starts off bad and Rex felt the pressure it was easy to fire the outsider and start the spin, than it was Rex actually finding the root causes of the issues.... The Faster Rex and all his minions are gone the faster the Bills have a shot at moving forward.

Edited by MAJBobby

Tyrod has to step up his level of play or all of this will be for naught.

Goes without saying. Probably can say that about a few others. From a management stand point, you get rid of the OC to see if he was the problem. if he wasn't, then you have some really big decisions to make in the off season.

It about 18 games is the spin..... Offense did more than enough to win last week. And was the strong part of the Bills last year, so strong they didn't need to invest any assets into it.

The offense scored 17 points, excluding the garbage time TD. That's not bad, but definitely not great. Again, they need to know if its the coaching or the personnel.

Edited by ricojes

Goes without saying. Probably can say that about a few others. From a management stand point, you get rid of the OC to see if he was the problem. if he wasn't, then you have some really big decisions to make in the off season.

The offense scored 17 points, excluding the garbage time TD. That's not bad, but definitely not great. Again, they need to know if its the coaching or the personnel.

Defense gave up 35 and looked more like it did all last year and maybe the anomaly of week 1. and changes there?

Right on the money here, especially with that last bit! :thumbsup:

It's like trying to get Steph Curry open for three by pounding it inside and getting the opposing center in foul trouble. Or by trying to get contested buckets driving the lane in traffic. Okay. Sure. I can see where that would work. But, why don't we just have him pull up and splash from 28 feet? If the Bills were the Warriors in this scenario, their center keeps getting called for travelling before he gets his shoulder into the opposition and they're bricking four out of five contested layups while Steph is sitting on the perimeter collecting dust.

Seems to me that this take (which I choose to believe too) assumes that Roman never even gave defenses an opportunity to get beat by our good stuff, and rather than the trickery be the knockout blows, our bread and butter was waiting to be set up. Except it never was.

The set up.

Your last paragraph is where my head is at.

The whole post is a decent one. Good analogy

Again players are complaining they can not comprehend a playbook, this year it is Offense, last year it was Defense. Did they all fail the wonderlic? Why are all these guys unable to comprehend what the coaches are doing? Are we the only team that needs to make things vanilla for our players? Are the coaches unable to convey to the players what they want properly? I don't get it.

I haven't heard a single player complain about this.... The coaches told them they would be simplifying things during the transition to Lynn

I always thought Chan outsmarted himself and would get away from plays which were effective earlier in the game that the defense had already seen. I can't back that up at all, just the impression this unsophisticated, ball watching, football fan had at the time.

Like Pete Carroll in the SB ?

But Chan did do that. They all do.

My favorite part of the game is the chess match.

But I will take the win if it is a game of checkers.

Chris Brown ‏@ChrisBrownBills 5m5 minutes ago

Coach Lynn - for better execution we've reduced the variables. We want to be able to play fast. Changes at LOS will be there. #Bills

Ok Tyrod, I better see you check out of plays... that excuse is gone

This is the key to the game !!

I agree I also have a problem with Roman with that. I am also not sure he coaches a modern Passing attack but that was not why he was hired. He was hired because he fits Rex's ground and pound run first and play defense concepts.

The issue I have is he was fired because he installed the exact offense the Head Coach wanted, but was the outsider in the Rex circle, so when the season starts off bad and Rex felt the pressure it was easy to fire the outsider and start the spin, than it was Rex actually finding the root causes of the issues.... The Faster Rex and all his minions are gone the faster the Bills have a shot at moving forward.

that is Rexs MO, and yes the sooner he is gone the better although I don't that fits Pegulas tank plan, (see my sig)

Would love have Roman back as the running game coordinator.

I want an OC who is master strategist who uses one play to setup other plays and be 5 plays ahead in his thinking just like a chess player would.