Is Russ Brandon to Blame?

Dorkington

Keep attempting to deflect away from the issue.

I never said the man was making hockey or football decisions. I did, however, say he has had and still does have tremendous influence over what happens on the football side of operations.

Was the man in or not in the Buffalo Bills team cut meetings?

So he's not making decisions, but he's "got influence"?

Color me confused as to what you believe he's influencing.

You've read th article about how Rec was hired; it's clear that the Pegulas wanted him, and Russ pushed them to make it happen.

Is that influence? Telling your boss to hire the guy he wants to hire?

Edited by thebandit27

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Complete-transcript-Rex-Ryans-introduction/56e897fd-f22f-4376-9489-7e84a5b4f0c1

This doesn't sound like a guy with "No Influence"

Terry Pegula: Thank you. After an extensive search, conducted by myself, Kim (Pegula), Russ (Brandon), and Doug Whaley, the Buffalo Bills have hired a new head coach and that coach is Rex Ryan. I almost said Sabres (Laughs). Rex began his coaching career in 1987. We all know, you can look on your computers these days and look up coaching careers, but, he went to the Baltimore Ravens at age 37, worked under Brian Billick, won a Super Bowl ring there as a defensive line coach. In 2005, he was promoted to defensive coordinator. 2008, he was defensive coordinator and assistant coach under John Harbaugh, and the Jets hired him 2009 and you know he’s been there for six years. I think one of the amazing statistics of his tenure at the Jets is, that, during his tenure they allowed the second least yards per game in the league. We went into this process very open-minded, the four of us. There was a lot of arguing, a lot of debating, which is always healthy. It is not a sign of dysfunction. We did not know what kind of, or who our coach was going to be. Is it going to be a young new mind? Is it going to be a veteran coach? But, as the process, and maybe should I use Canadian for our hockey (fans), the process. As it continued, we decided that where our team is right now, we were basically the only team looking for a head coach who did not fire their head coach the year before. So we decided that, after talking, that maybe we should go the veteran route, and because of where our team is. And, most of the candidates that came in, if not all, said, they praised our defense, you got some work on offense, and we understood that. Rex Ryan coached teams have two characteristics: they’re always great defensively, and they always work hard. Rex instills that in his players. When I was out with Rex the other night, I said to him, “How many Super Bowl rings does your family have?” He said, “We have five. My dad has two, my bro has two, and I have one.” And then he said, “I gotta fix that.” So our goal as an organization, is to build a team that, we were talking the other night, some of the new coaches on the staff, we were at my office in Florida. And, basically, we decided that, we want the Buffalo Bills to be a nightmare to play against. So, that’s our objective. With the staff that Rex is building, and with his knowledge of the game, we’re going to be a tough team defensively, and, I know that Greg Roman used that word, nightmare, and I love it. So, I’m going to introduce Rex now. And I can tell you one thing, he’s an avid hockey fan, and believe it or not, the guy was a goaltender. So, Rex, come on up.

Q: What made you decide that Rex was your guy?

TP: The first round of the interviews were broad-type questions. When we called him back and got into the nitty gritty, Doug hit him with all this stuff that put me to sleep (Laughs). That’s when we knew that Rex could be our coach, if he wanted to be. We just felt that he was our guy and trust me, we had some pretty impressive people that we felt could the Bills coach, but we said, “Hey, let’s go after Rex.” Russ told me, “Don’t let him out of the building.”

These Brandon conversations always make me laugh. You have two sides: one who believes he has too much power over football decisions, and the other who believes he has no control over football decisions. The arguement seems so futile to me, because how do any of us really know what he does? What we read in the media doesn't allow us the luxury of really knowing what takes place in the front office. This renders the debate mute imo. With that being said I'd like to see him gone. I'm just sick of seeing his smiling used car salesman looking face constantly. Whether it's his fault or not, he is like a mascot for the Bills years of futility.

Side 3 - i don't like him. I don't care what his role is, get rid of him.

Exhibit A - Thought Kerry Collins was a franchise QB (when he was with the Titans)

Exhibit B - Wears a Marlins World series ring... every day. He was a marketing assistant - Keep the thing at home or take it out at parties.

Exhibit C - He's a weasel. Will deflect blame to everyone but himself when things inevitably go wrong.

In what billion dollar corporate world does a president make phone calls for someone under him?

Was Monos, & Overdorf out on a donut run for the boys? NO,Brandon or any president should have way bigger tasks than calling baby gronk

And asking him if he wants to be a Bill IMO. Unless of course he has a say in who will be a signed UDFA?

Yes, he may be the President, but he's more like the common man. Russ Brandon can make phone calls, too!

(On a serious note, I completely agree that it's weird for him to be doing any of that, but be careful - Bandit is about to explain that it's how they do it in Seattle, so it's ok)

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Complete-transcript-Rex-Ryans-introduction/56e897fd-f22f-4376-9489-7e84a5b4f0c1

This doesn't sound like a guy with "No Influence"

Terry Pegula: Thank you. After an extensive search, conducted by myself, Kim (Pegula), Russ (Brandon), and Doug Whaley, the Buffalo Bills have hired a new head coach and that coach is Rex Ryan. I almost said Sabres (Laughs). Rex began his coaching career in 1987. We all know, you can look on your computers these days and look up coaching careers, but, he went to the Baltimore Ravens at age 37, worked under Brian Billick, won a Super Bowl ring there as a defensive line coach. In 2005, he was promoted to defensive coordinator. 2008, he was defensive coordinator and assistant coach under John Harbaugh, and the Jets hired him 2009 and you know hes been there for six years. I think one of the amazing statistics of his tenure at the Jets is, that, during his tenure they allowed the second least yards per game in the league. We went into this process very open-minded, the four of us. There was a lot of arguing, a lot of debating, which is always healthy. It is not a sign of dysfunction. We did not know what kind of, or who our coach was going to be. Is it going to be a young new mind? Is it going to be a veteran coach? But, as the process, and maybe should I use Canadian for our hockey (fans), the process. As it continued, we decided that where our team is right now, we were basically the only team looking for a head coach who did not fire their head coach the year before. So we decided that, after talking, that maybe we should go the veteran route, and because of where our team is. And, most of the candidates that came in, if not all, said, they praised our defense, you got some work on offense, and we understood that. Rex Ryan coached teams have two characteristics: theyre always great defensively, and they always work hard. Rex instills that in his players. When I was out with Rex the other night, I said to him, How many Super Bowl rings does your family have? He said, We have five. My dad has two, my bro has two, and I have one. And then he said, I gotta fix that. So our goal as an organization, is to build a team that, we were talking the other night, some of the new coaches on the staff, we were at my office in Florida. And, basically, we decided that, we want the Buffalo Bills to be a nightmare to play against. So, thats our objective. With the staff that Rex is building, and with his knowledge of the game, were going to be a tough team defensively, and, I know that Greg Roman used that word, nightmare, and I love it. So, Im going to introduce Rex now. And I can tell you one thing, hes an avid hockey fan, and believe it or not, the guy was a goaltender. So, Rex, come on up.

TP: The first round of the interviews were broad-type questions. When we called him back and got into the nitty gritty, Doug hit him with all this stuff that put me to sleep (Laughs). Thats when we knew that Rex could be our coach, if he wanted to be. We just felt that he was our guy and trust me, we had some pretty impressive people that we felt could the Bills coach, but we said, Hey, lets go after Rex. Russ told me, Dont let him out of the building.

So again, he told his boss to hire the guy he already wanted to hire

These Brandon conversations always make me laugh. You have two sides: one who believes he has too much power over football decisions, and the other who believes he has no control over football decisions. The arguement seems so futile to me, because how do any of us really know what he does? What we read in the media doesn't allow us the luxury of really knowing what takes place in the front office. This renders the debate mute imo. With that being said I'd like to see him gone. I'm just sick of seeing his smiling used car salesman looking face constantly. Whether it's his fault or not, he is like a mascot for the Bills years of futility.

I'm almost not so much anti-Brandon as much as I am for a complete rebuild of a sloppy and futile football program. A rebuild executed from someone from outside the organization (and NOT chosen by any input from Russ Brandon).

The fact that there are leaks all the time. Embarrassing ones. Fights with the Coach, GM, and "Marketing Guy" on the field, this person's job is in jeopardy, people in the Bills think EJ will prove he is the starter.... etc..... Watkins wakes up with his foot hurting.... is pretty damning. Its a recurring pattern. Then you have the Pats. One player punches out a star and nobody hears about it until 18-24 months later.

Outside eyes is all I want. I want an NFL team built for sustainable success. Ralph's hires did not have that as a primary objective, nor have they delivered.

Edited by May Day 10

Yes, he may be the President, but he's more like the common man. Russ Brandon can make phone calls, too!

(On a serious note, I completely agree that it's weird for him to be doing any of that, but be careful - Bandit is about to explain that it's how they do it in Seattle, so it's ok)

That's cute coming from the guy that says he wants Russ fired not for personnel moves, and then blasts the decision to sign Glenn Gronk because Russ made a phone call.

Not to worry fridge, I've learned a lot from you...now I know that whenever I'm in a room, I'm responsible for what anyone does!

Yeah, what could it be?

Not personnel according to you

So he's not making decisions, but he's "got influence"?

Color me confused as to what you believe he's influencing.

Still didn't answer the question as to if the team president / managing partner of the Buffalo Bills was in the Buffalo Bills team cut meetings or not.

Anyway, what influence? Like I haven't posted this link before or even had this very same discussion with you previously. It's right there from ESPN and other sources

It was almost a year ago, in early January, when the Buffalo Bills called Rex Ryan back for a second interview for their head-coaching vacancy. Team president Russ Brandon was so impressed that he told owner Terry Pegula not to let Ryan out of the building.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22828/playoff-promise-among-rex-ryan-statements-that-will-likely-prove-false

Someone (cough) sure as heck influenced these new owners into thinking that they had the football acumen needed to hire the team's next head coach as most owners simply rely on their GM's to make the football operations decisions.

If that isn't enough for you anymore, (thanks, jms62)

TP: The first round of the interviews were broad-type questions. When we called him back and got into the nitty gritty, Doug hit him with all this stuff that put me to sleep (Laughs). That’s when we knew that Rex could be our coach, if he wanted to be. We just felt that he was our guy and trust me, we had some pretty impressive people that we felt could the Bills coach, but we said, “Hey, let’s go after Rex.” Russ told me, “Don’t let him out of the building.”

Side 3 - i don't like him. I don't care what his role is, get rid of him.

Exhibit A - Thought Kerry Collins was a franchise QB (when he was with the Titans)

Exhibit B - Wears a Marlins World series ring... every day. He was a marketing assistant - Keep the thing at home or take it out at parties.

Exhibit C - He's a weasel. Will deflect blame to everyone but himself when things inevitably go wrong.

I agree, I support side three as well. Brandon is just a professional snake oil salesmen. Nothing about him seems real. I remember reading an article in the Syracuse Post Standard about him where all his family and friends refer to him as "Rusty". I suppose the guy even altered his name to sound less redneck. I would feel far more comfortable that everything this franchise sells isn't bs if he were gone.

Still didn't answer the question as to if the team president / managing partner of the Buffalo Bills was in the Buffalo Bills team cut meetings or not.

Anyway, what influence? Like I haven't posted this link before or even had this very same discussion with you previously. It's right there from ESPN and other sources

It was almost a year ago, in early January, when the Buffalo Bills called Rex Ryan back for a second interview for their head-coaching vacancy. Team president Russ Brandon was so impressed that he told owner Terry Pegula not to let Ryan out of the building.

http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/22828/playoff-promise-among-rex-ryan-statements-that-will-likely-prove-false

Someone (cough) sure as heck influenced these new owners into thinking that they had the football acumen needed to hire the team's next head coach as most owners simply rely on their GM's to make the football operations decisions.

If that isn't enough for you anymore, (thanks, jms62)

TP: The first round of the interviews were broad-type questions. When we called him back and got into the nitty gritty, Doug hit him with all this stuff that put me to sleep (Laughs). Thats when we knew that Rex could be our coach, if he wanted to be. We just felt that he was our guy and trust me, we had some pretty impressive people that we felt could the Bills coach, but we said, Hey, lets go after Rex. Russ told me, Dont let him out of the building.

You really don't know if he was in the room during cuts? Okay then, he was. Glad I could clear that up.

What players did he cut? I think 98/100 people would agree that the answer is none (I counted you and fridge as the 2 :thumbsup: ).

Again I ask: what does telling your boss to hire a guy that he already wants to hire do? You've read the article.

"Doug asked his questions, and that's when we knew Rex was our guy" - Terry Pegula

We can go around and around on this all day, but in the end you're basically blasting Russ's "yes manning" if that article is to be believed

I agree, I support side three as well. Brandon is just a professional snake oil salesmen. Nothing about him seems real. I remember reading an article in the Syracuse Post Standard about him where all his family and friends refer to him as "Rusty". I suppose the guy even altered his name to sound less redneck. I would feel far more comfortable that everything this franchise sells isn't bs if he were gone.

My friend sold tickets for them for a few years. Had nice things to say about everyone there except Russ.

Some interesting ones:

Chan Gailey played racquetball more than he did anything else.

Poz was the biggest gym rat on the team. Lifting all the time even during off hours.

Dick Jauron shook every single member of staff's hands on his way out the door after being fired. Was really sad looking pushing his little cart of things to the elevator.

Perry Fewell was really funny - didn't act like HC but more like one of the guys in the office.

Russ Brandon - Had his own beer at company events, and wouldn't get enough to share. Acted like he owned the place, and treated sales/marketing like they were beneath him. Didn't shake people's hands, and snubbed his wife when he introduced him to her.

Edited by dneveu

That's cute coming from the guy that says he wants Russ fired not for personnel moves, and then blasts the decision to sign Glenn Gronk because Russ made a phone call.

Not to worry fridge, I've learned a lot from you...now I know that whenever I'm in a room, I'm responsible for what anyone does!

Not personnel according to you

I'm going to make this perfectly clear because you're being purposefully obtuse...

I do not think for one second that Russ Brandon is the guy making the final 53. I think that he has input because he's in the room AND DISCUSSING the roster on a daily basis. I really don't know what influence he has. None of us do. I did not say nor suggest that he signed Glenn Gronkowsi. I simply am saying he's involved in the decision. That could be anywhere on a sliding scale from,

1. Literally bringing Glenn Gronkowski's player card out on the table, slamming it down and saying, "I gotta have this guy!"

2. Secretly thinking Gronkowski being a Buffalo guy is a good marketing move and therefore constantly bringing his name up

3. Being pretty high on Gronkowski, and openly suggesting we could sign him

4. Being pretty high on Gronkowski, and subtly suggesting we could sign him

5. Being pretty high on Gronkowski, and being overly receptive to the idea when it's brought up by someone else

6. Being pretty high on Gronkowski, and only nodding encouragingly when his name gets brought up

7. Having absolutely no opinion on Gronkowski, but once informed of the team's interest to sign him, merely suggests that his acquisition could be a nice story

8. Having absolutely no opinion on Gronkowski, but once informed of his signing, merely suggests that his acquisition could be a nice story

9. Having absolutely no opinion on Gronkowski, and due to his role in the organization simply agrees with the scouts, coaching staff, and GM on all roster decisions

You seem to think I assume Russ Brandon is going full-on DEFCON 1 from the list above. I think it's probably closer to 4-7. Ideally on the influence spectrum, I'd like my team president to live in 8 or 9.

Edited by fridge

I'm going to make this perfectly clear because you're being purposefully obtuse...

I do not think for one second that Russ Brandon is the guy making the final 53. I think that he has input because he's in the room AND DISCUSSING the roster on a daily basis. I really don't know what influence he has. None of us do. I did not say nor suggest that he signed Glenn Gronkowsi. I simply am saying he's involved in the decision. That could be anywhere on a sliding scale from,

1. Literally bringing Glenn Gronkowski's player card out on the table, slamming it down and saying, "I gotta have this guy!"

2. Secretly thinking Gronkowski being a Buffalo guy is a good marketing move and therefore constantly bringing his name up

5. Being pretty high on Gronkowski, and being overly receptive to the idea when it's brought up by someone else

6. Being pretty high on Gronkowski, and only nodding encouragingly when his name gets brought up

7. Having absolutely no opinion on Gronkowski, but once informed of the team's interest to sign him, merely suggests that his acquisition could be a nice story

8. Having absolutely no opinion on Gronkowski, but once informed of his signing, merely suggests that his acquisition could be a nice story

9. Having absolutely no opinion on Gronkowski, and due to his role in the organization simply agrees with the scouts, coaching staff, and GM on all roster decisions

You seem to think I assume Russ Brandon is going full-on DEFCON 1 from the list above. I think it's probably closer to 6-8. Ideally on the influence spectrum, I'd like my team president to live in 8 or 9.

So you are pulling a Trump here by putting it out there without saying anything outright.

the problem is, Brandon is/was influential in Nix, Whaley, Gailey, Marrone, Jauron, and Rex. That is as influential as it gets and nothing has worked out. In fact, I would categorize it all as a disaster and a disjointed mess.

*If* this team falls on its face to the tune of 0-5 wins and Pegula decides a change is needed.... I think it is imperative that outside eyes need to be brought in. If Brandon is allowed to go on another "no stone unturned" search for a GM and/or Head Coach, nothing will change. Maybe we can have a meaningful December game someday or gloriously go one and out in a road playoff game... but this will never be a model football program.

Edited by May Day 10

You seem to think I assume Russ Brandon is going full-on DEFCON 1 from the list above. I think it's probably closer to 6-8. Ideally on the influence spectrum, I'd like my team president to live in 8 or 9.

If you truly feel that his influence is somewhere in the 6-8 range (note: I see that you changed your post to 4-7; did you reconsider or did you realize that maybe your initial charge wasn't strong enough to support the vitriol?) then what could possibly be your issue with him nodding his head that you'd opine so strongly about his involvement and influence?

This has been my point from the beginning: being a "yes man" constitutes significant influence in your estimation?

I thoroughly disagree.

And no, I'm not being obtuse. I just assumed you had sound reasoning that I hadn't considered.

I now realize that your opinion is simply disjointed IMO. I will, however, leave you to it at this point.

Edited by thebandit27

PT Barnum aka Brandon was a marketing/PR whiz kid, and used his former position to move up the company ladder to Team President of the Bills AND Sabres. Pretty quick and sudden climb.

I wonder if he was able to con Pegula into a small percentage of the team much like Larry Quinn did with former Sabres owner Tom Golisano? Wouldn't surprise me one bit if it did happen.

Like I said in a post yesterday, get comfortable with him because unless he chooses to leave on his own accord, he will be here for a very very long time.