can the Bills win more with less talent ?

....lybob

What I tried to do is look at last years Bills opening day Roster compared with this years opening day roster and do it as I would a team I don't give a rats ass about like say Tampa Bay and IMO it's a somewhat

less talented team but that does not have to mean less wins, we could have less injuries to our starters (we have to at sometime have some luck other than bad luck just on the law of averages, don't we?) and we

should be playing both Rex's and Roman's systems better overall in the second year.

The big question is are we good enough right now to make the play-offs or does Whaley have to make some type moves.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the life of me, I don't get why more Bills fans can't see this?

Mario was great the years before the 4-12 Jets HC got to Buffalo and he made the pro bowl in 2013 under Pettine with 13 sacks. Made the pro bowl under Schwartz with 14.5 sacks. There was a real reason why the thread count reached the highest I've ever seen in this forum about signing an elite pass rushing free agent DE and when the team did sign him the gave him a 100 million dollar contract.

Last season the new coaching staff not only failed to properly motivate an elite player and made him so unhappy that he wanted out of a previous great situation. Is it the player's fault that the coaches improperly used him in a bad scheme to the effect that he went public with his disdain about the entire situation. Asking an elite pass rusher to not rush the passer and to stay in place to handle a 300+ LB OT while playing gap control and when he wasn't doing this he was asked to drop into pass coverage far too often. Even HoF Bills QB Jim Kelly was questioning his misuse in the new defensive scheme under Ryan.

Anyway, losing the very best pass rusher this team has had since Bruce Smith will have a negative effect on the defense and now the team has only one decent outside pass rusher! Plus, lost it's best inside rusher for the first four games due to a suspension.

It will be up to this year's defensive coaching staff to do the job they are getting paid to do and that is coach up the players they have and put forth an effective game plan that will work to stop the opposing offense. Hopefully, do a better job than they did last year in being the worst team in the league in QB pressures. This coaching staff and the Ryan Bro's have a lot to prove this season!

LOL.....watch the all 22 and take a look at your "best pass rusher" last year....playing like he didnt want to get hurt

I am wondering why non of the additions to the team have been mentioned.

- We do in fact have a coverage linebacker (one of the better ones in the NFL as a matter of fact) in Zach Brown

- We did in fact draft a pass rushing DL in Adolphus Washington who frankly has looked pretty sharp for a rookie

- We did in fact get Kyle Williams back from his injury where he got hurt early last year...that and Aaron WIlliams were both big losses for us.

As a matter of fact.....the only thing we lost from last year's team was Mario Willaims.....who....well i wont get into it has been done to death

Marcel is not lost for the year....its a 4 game suspension.....still another 12 games to play after that in the regular season

We are in fact getting our 1st round pick Shaq Lawson back at some point this season. I dont really want to comment on what we get this year from Shaq......except that we are going to get to see him.

Did we really lose that much?

So much spin! You must end up dizzy sometimes!

I think we took a slight step back on raw talent but hopefully TT takes a step and we get buy in for the system and stay healthy and MD comes back at 100%

On aggregate, overall team talent is less than last year, at least on paper.

How can the Bills overcome that and actually be better?

If Tyrod improves substantially, everything else doesn't matter.

Another way: greatly reduce penalties with disciplined play on a consistent basis.

Another way: execution on a play-by-play basis. Quality execution and disciplined low penalty play alone are probably good for 1 to 2 wins over the course of an entire season.

For the life of me, I don't get why more Bills fans can't see this?

Mario was great the years before the 4-12 Jets HC got to Buffalo and he made the pro bowl in 2013 under Pettine with 13 sacks. Made the pro bowl under Schwartz with 14.5 sacks. There was a real reason why the thread count reached the highest I've ever seen in this forum about signing an elite pass rushing free agent DE and when the team did sign him the gave him a 100 million dollar contract.

Last season the new coaching staff not only failed to properly motivate an elite player and made him so unhappy that he wanted out of a previous great situation. Is it the player's fault that the coaches improperly used him in a bad scheme to the effect that he went public with his disdain about the entire situation. Asking an elite pass rusher to not rush the passer and to stay in place to handle a 300+ LB OT while playing gap control and when he wasn't doing this he was asked to drop into pass coverage far too often. Even HoF Bills QB Jim Kelly was questioning his misuse in the new defensive scheme under Ryan.

Anyway, losing the very best pass rusher this team has had since Bruce Smith will have a negative effect on the defense and now the team has only one decent outside pass rusher! Plus, lost it's best inside rusher for the first four games due to a suspension.

It will be up to this year's defensive coaching staff to do the job they are getting paid to do and that is coach up the players they have and put forth an effective game plan that will work to stop the opposing offense. Hopefully, do a better job than they did last year in being the worst team in the league in QB pressures. This coaching staff and the Ryan Bro's have a lot to prove this season!

Even before then, Mario was more concerned about his stats and his toy cars then actually winning. Teammates "tolerated" him because he was a very good player, but is it any wonder the teams he are on never seem to do anything worthwhile?

"The only thing we lost from last years team is Mario" was a little much.

Beyond that, you kind of rounded up on every point, which isn't a realistic expectation

What did we lose beyond Mario....please explain.

I didnt round up.....all those things are pretty much true.

Lets go over it again:

- We do in fact have a coverage linebacker (one of the better ones in the NFL as a matter of fact) in Zach Brown

One of the fastest and best coverage linebackers in the league.....what is incorrect here?

- We did in fact draft a pass rushing DL in Adolphus Washington who frankly has looked pretty sharp for a rookie

Once again....what is incorrect...he has in fact looked very sharp in pre season.

- We did in fact get Kyle Williams back from his injury where he got hurt early last year...that and Aaron WIlliams were both big losses for us.

Is this not true and were not both of these key veteran losses to last years team?

As a matter of fact.....the only thing we lost from last year's team was Mario Willaims.....who....well i wont get into it has been done to death

We did lose Nigel Bradham....who was not playing well.....for that matter now that I think about it our linebacker's last year were not a strength and we kept getting injuries to this group.

Marcel is not lost for the year....its a 4 game suspension.....still another 12 games to play after that in the regular season

What is untrue about this?

We are in fact getting our 1st round pick Shaq Lawson back at some point this season. I dont really want to comment on what we get this year from Shaq......except that we are going to get to see him.

I am definately erring on the side of caution when it comes to Shaq ....something wrong with what I said?

Edited by John from Hemet

Poor baby. Rex didn't motivate him enough. I guess counting his millions wasn't enough motivation. Maybe Rex could have put gold stars on his locker mini-fridge.

See the point is not that Mario Williams is some sort of perfect human without fault. Nobody is saying that. What he could be is an immense asset for the Bills. He was an immense asset for the Bils. Then it got flushed away. Rex himself said he rested on his own laurels and assumed all the players would buy into his genius without him doing much. They didn't and chief among them was the most talented player on the team. Rex is making millions too.

Some of this is certainly on Mario as well, but the bottom line is the Bills lost talent. Whether you think Rex pissed it away or Mario is a big baby or little of both is meaningless. It's gone.

And people spinning that the addition of Zach friggin Brown who nobody in the league even wanted as somehow evening things out is just ridiculous.

We have Rex and we don't have Mario so we have to root for Rex to get it done. He'll be trying to do it with far less talent than he had available to him last year. He failed miserably last year. This adds up to him needing to be far far far better this year than he was in 2015. I'm rooting for him.....of course.....because I'm a Bills fan.....but there has been no evidence that he is capable of this. Wishing in writing that Zach Brown will come to the rescue isn't going to make it happen.

See the point is not that Mario Williams is some sort of perfect human without fault. Nobody is saying that. What he could be is an immense asset for the Bills. He was an immense asset for the Bils. Then it got flushed away. Rex himself said he rested on his own laurels and assumed all the players would buy into his genius without him doing much. They didn't and chief among them was the most talented player on the team. Rex is making millions too.

He could NOT be a immense asset for the bills because he did not like his role......he didnt want to do what was asked of him by his coach. His time was done. Lost in all of this is he also COST TOO MUCH. We had issues with paying a QB we finally found and Gilmore who is much more crucial to Rex defense then Mario is. The fact that he was bitching in the locker room while not giving effort was a huge problem as well. Talent dont matter if you you cant get them to give effort.

Some of this is certainly on Mario as well, but the bottom line is the Bills lost talent. Whether you think Rex pissed it away or Mario is a big baby or little of both is meaningless. It's gone.

I hate to point this out....but Mario hasnt exactly been lighting it up for the dolphins either. You know there is also the possibility that Mario has hit the wall.

And people spinning that the addition of Zach friggin Brown who nobody in the league even wanted as somehow evening things out is just ridiculous.

Zach Brown is not a pro bowl player...he is however a scheme fit for what the bills do on defense. When we have to go against athletic TE's we will be damn glad we have him.

We have Rex and we don't have Mario so we have to root for Rex to get it done. He'll be trying to do it with far less talent than he had available to him last year. He failed miserably last year. This adds up to him needing to be far far far better this year than he was in 2015. I'm rooting for him.....of course.....because I'm a Bills fan.....but there has been no evidence that he is capable of this. Wishing in writing that Zach Brown will come to the rescue isn't going to make it happen.

WHERE is the far less talent....please explain?.....are you just referring to Mario Williams.....are you not? Please explain.

Asking an elite pass rusher to not rush the passer and to stay in place to handle a 300+ LB OT while playing gap control and when he wasn't doing this he was asked to drop into pass coverage far too often.

I know you like to ignore facts in your rants but he was NOT asked to drop into coverage in zone blitzes very often. In fact Wade Phillips, the DC of the Superbowl winner in case you did not watch the game, put his DEs into coverage more.

As of right now, the front 7.

No Dareus, no Mario. Yes Mario is a loss.

But as had been discussed, Rexs scheme doesn't call for a loaded front 7...

To be fair here.....

I loved Schwartz D......and I did not like the production of Rex D last year.

I am however a big fan of the 3-4 Defense.....it is unpredictable and forces a QB to think about where the pressure is gonna come from on a particular play. I was a fan of the Steelers DC.....I am a fan of Wade Phillips.

I am hopeful that it just took a little longer with our group and Rex

Prolly not but spell checker does not flag it.

The correct word is "probably".

Well welcome to the internets. You are in for a rude awakening my friend. Btw, U might want to stay away from Twitter. Oh sorry, "btw" is an acronym.

You might want to stay away from the English language.