Week 1: Ravens' Game Preparation - Inactives Announced

26CornerBlitz

You can never have enough linemen. Injuries happen as we are very aware of.

There's a reason no other team in the NFL carries two kickers. And how much did this field position actually help our team last year?

Let's not confuse field position and defensive performance. Gay and the kickoff coverage team held up their end.

If the Bills kickoff 5 times per game, the difference between Carpenter putting the ball in play and Gay doing so, on average, would be 30-35 yards. For a team that wants to be stifling on defense, that means something.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not confuse field position and defensive performance. Gay and the kickoff coverage team held up their end.

If the Bills kickoff 5 times per game, the difference between Carpenter putting the ball in play and Gay doing so, on average, would be 30-35 yards. For a team that wants to be stifling on defense, that means something.

I get your point but it's embarrassing that we have to keep 2 kickers because Carperter can't kick off. It's such a waste of a roster spot.

I loved Kid Rock but he should be on a very short leash and hopefully we can get a K capable of kicking in all phases.

I get your point but it's embarrassing that we have to keep 2 kickers because Carperter can't kick off. It's such a waste of a roster spot.

I loved Kid Rock but he should be on a very short leash and hopefully we can get a K capable of kicking in all phases.

I agree. You're talking to a guy that sat down and watched college kickers and built a database of stats, trying to find someone to replace Carpenter. Options were out there to replace him, they chose not to. Having Gay is the next best option. You don't have to agree with it but try to see the logic in it.

Carpenter wouldn't instantly make us rank dead last in the NFL if his average return of 23 yards was a season-long constant. By the 25-yard touchback theory, that would be a net 2 yards per kickoff. Just that if Gay can replicate his 2015 stats, it's a net 8.3 yard per return gain. The team values ST. Rightly or wrongly, they do. Gay is an investment in their beliefs.

I agree. You're talking to a guy that sat down and watched college kickers and built a database of stats, trying to find someone to replace Carpenter. Options were out there to replace him, they chose not to. Having Gay is the next best option. You don't have to agree with it but try to see the logic in it.

Carpenter wouldn't instantly make us rank dead last in the NFL if his average return of 23 yards was a season-long constant. By the 25-yard touchback theory, that would be a net 2 yards per kickoff. Just that if Gay can replicate his 2015 stats, it's a net 8.3 yard per return gain. The team values ST. Rightly or wrongly, they do. Gay is an investment in their beliefs.

Now that is dedication!!!

I hate saying because Kid Carp was like my favorite Bills K his first year for Buffalo. But if he is struggling with FGs and can't kick off, what is his purpose? It is insane that a professional kicker can't do both jobs.

And I still don't why you just don't kick the ball to like the 5 on an angle and just try to pin them deep anyways.

Carperter better be awesome this year.

You can never have enough linemen. Injuries happen as we are very aware of.

There's a reason no other team in the NFL carries two kickers. And how much did this field position actually help our team last year?

The player Gay replaces will either be on the PS or still available. And since he'd be inactive on gameday, he couldn't play in a game if injury struck anyway and would need to be activated for the next game, which is little different from elevating a guy from the PS or signing him.

It's a long of handwringing over nothing. Who is he making the squad over? Some guy who would be inactive and wouldn't have any impact?

Then why don't more teams do it? Somehow 31 other teams scrape by with a single kicker... That other guy can practice and get better, and maybe fill in when an injury happens. It's a long-term view about player development, which the Bills lack.

Then why don't more teams do it? Somehow 31 other teams scrape by with a single kicker... That other guy can practice and get better, and maybe fill in when an injury happens. It's a long-term view about player development, which the Bills lack.

Cardale Jones says "What?!?"

If you can do it with one player, great. If you can't, replacing a developmental type (who will likely be on the PS and able to develop there) isn't a big deal.

@JoeBuscaglia

Here we go: #Bills vs. Ravens tomorrow at 1pm. My 5 things to watch (hint: Sammy Watkins), complete with prediction: https://t.co/NyPma2eyjz

1) The Bills' defensive key: Jerry Hughes

2) Sammy’s plus matchup

3) Get to know Jernigan, Williams

4) Beware of Aiken?

5) Ravens’ inexperienced left side

Prediction: Bills over Ravens

This was one of the best pieces of this type I've seen. There is NO DOUBT he gets it. He is the personification of "football character" and just as he's always "been ready", I think he's ready now as well. I can see why so many in the football community have such high regard for TT. I'm glad he's our QB.

GO BILLS!!!

Finally someone with a brain.All these people talking about no other teams do this are not thinking this through.First off we are NOT the only team to do this we are one of two.If a player on your roster can save you even 20 yards of field position per game and maybe even a run back or two during the corse of a season he is very valuable.Jordan Gay is a valuable roster spot and a smart move by people who are not afraid to set trends not just follow them....think for yourselves sheeple.

bills.pngVS. ravens.png

NFL.com Game Preview

CBS Sports Game Preview

Bills at Ravens Vegas Lines

Bills vs. Ravens History

NFL Week 1 Maps

sltyfm.jpg

CBS Broadcast Team

Play-by-Play: Spero Dedes

Color Analyst: Solomon Wilcots

2016 NFL on CBS Announcers & Distribution: Week 1

337.gif 30cb4f54ns3sg4ufjgwlqthkj.gif