Whatdo you need to see to believe the D will be better

Ed Reed is making a very big difference. I think it was Duke Williams who said Ed Reed is like having a cheat sheet for a video game.

That is a big compliment.

Hell yeah. Our DBs are def gonna be one of the top 5 units in the League. I mean what 5 teams have better DBs than us?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I grant they weren't the starters and in some cases not the second string, but last night it looked like 35 teams have better DBs than us. Shameful, shameful missed tackling.

Same here... Also kept looking for a safety to be near the play. Never happened. If they run into injuries in the back, they are going to have to find starters on the waiver wire.

I just need to see them be better.

+ 1

Last year stats and 2015 stats. I don't know how you take a top defense and turn them into what we saw last year, but Ryan managed to figure out a way.

============

4 yards/game

4 points/game

============

19 yards/game

15 points/game

Rex doesn't practice fundamentals like tackling as much as other coaches, it's pretty obvious to me.

Poor tackling is a league wide epidemic given the curtailment by the CBA of padded practices with contact. The problem is certainly not confined to Rex Ryan and his lack of emphasis on fundamentals.

I like what Seattle is doing in terms of teaching rugby tackling technique, though.

I grant they weren't the starters and in some cases not the second string, but last night it looked like 35 teams have better DBs than us. Shameful, shameful missed tackling.

but it was one on one tackling wasn't it mostly?

Duke had a bad night.

Same here... Also kept looking for a safety to be near the play. Never happened. If they run into injuries in the back, they are going to have to find starters on the waiver wire.

No, they just change the scheme. Last night guys were left on an island on purpose

Rex doesn't practice fundamentals like tackling as much as other coaches, it's pretty obvious to me.

lol

Its all about the snacks sacks

Edited by 3rdand12

I've needed to see Ryan commit to his philosophy, which he didn't do last season when he tried an approach by appeasement in creating his version of a "hybrid" which didn't serve anyone particularly well. I've seen more overload blitzes this preseason, a hallmark of Ryan Ds, than I did all last year. Players, even the backups last night, just appear more comfortable in their assignments vs. last season.

GO BILLS!!!

As I have watched this D during the preseason I have seen a different D. I think the D will be better. If we can be good early, the second half should start to resemble what we thought we were going to have with getting Shaq back and Marcell. What do you need to see?

After last night, I need to see three things:

1) effective tackling

2) effective tackling

3) effective tackling

but it was one on one tackling wasn't it mostly?

Of course, we don't know the play call - was someone supposed to be backing up? Were people out of position/responsibility? It sure seemed like it sometimes, one missed tackle and another guy just out of position or taking a poor angle to back him up.

I'm sure the sheer difficulty of making a 1:1 open field tackle on an NFL-grade opponent plays its part. But some of that was just poor fundamentals. Bad angles, bad positions, bad tackling.

Of course, we don't know the play call - was someone supposed to be backing up? Were people out of position/responsibility? It sure seemed like it sometimes, one missed tackle and another guy just out of position or taking a poor angle to back him up.

I'm sure the sheer difficulty of making a 1:1 open field tackle on an NFL-grade opponent plays its part. But some of that was just poor fundamentals. Bad angles, bad positions, bad tackling.

Oh I agree about fundamentals That was honestly my point.

I thought Rex left some guys on the island to see how they fared. Happened last week when he loaded the box and brought em. Preseason is the time you can afford to see the mettle of these guys.

Some folks may not care for Rex's method last night in regard to 2nd stringers.

I personally thought it was borderline genius.

LOL if we look passed last nights horrendous tackling our DBs are real good in coverage, or at least they have looked like that so far in PS. Besides Denver whos DB core would you compare us to? Redskins have a pretty good WRs too.