NFL’s Policy on Cannabis

ALF

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on this one. While I would certainly agree that Private Prisons and their lobbying are to blame as well since they are paid by the number of inmates they house and they house a crap load of criminals just because of weed offenses (or previous weed offenses which are priors and lead to bigger sentences for other crimes, that is, getting them "in the system"). Knowing policing relatively well as I have family involved in higher levels of policing, I can guarantee you that most police would welcome not having to police this so they could spend more of their time on crimes that actually matter.

IIRC, DC police pushed for decriminalization, because going after weed users wasted their time haha

As I said, narcotic regulation has changed significantly since the Saints cabinet raid. Take it from someone who prescribes narcotics. It's become very cumbersome--especially in NYS. Most physicians would rather not write these scripts at all if they could avoid it.

You should have read the whole article:

"In Birk's experience, which includes a decade with the Minnesota Vikings, team doctors were responsible in the way they stored and dispensed prescription painkillers.

"They're pretty cautious. They're not just passing them out," Birk said. "I could count on one hand the times I was given one painkiller. I've never been prescribed a bottle of 30 of them or anything like that."

The prescription pain medications stored at team facilities -- referred to within league medical circles as "common stock" -- are required to be kept under lock and key in secure rooms. Team medical staffs are subject to routine pill-by-pill audits conducted by league security officials, all designed to ensure the medications are stored and prescribed responsibly."

"Connor told ESPN the purpose of the meeting was so DEA officials could make certain NFL team physicians fully understood the federal laws governing the storage and safe handling of prescription pain medications.

"There's no question that the DEA is paying closer attention," Connor said. "The pendulum has shifted over to prescription pain medication, just as it was on the performance-enhancing drug issues in the past."

Times have changed, as I said. While there is no question that in the past that narcs were freely handed out, that is no longer the case. Most players who abuse the pills obtain them illegally, according to this same article.

But your statement that "countless" current players are addicted to narcotics isn't supported by that article.

NFL players are 4x more likely to have opioid issues.

Game set match bruh.

Unlike the NBA and MLB, the NFL has actually taken recent steps to lessen punishment for positive Cannabis tests(See Josh Gordon). A tangible example of this was the raising of the threshold for a positive test from 15 nanograms per milliliter to 35ng/ml.

In addition the NFL uses suspension as a last resort, coming into effect after the fourth positive test.

That shouldnt surprise anyone given that the NFL, more than any other sport, does everything it can to keep players on the field.

Here is the NFL breakdown:

First Infraction Mandatory Rehabilitation Program

Second Infraction 2 Game Fine (Can Play Un-Paid)

Third Infraction 4 Game Fine (Can Play Un-Paid)

Fourth Infraction 4 Game Suspension

Fifth Infraction 10 Game Suspension

https://www.cashinbis.com/mlb-nba-and-nfls-policy-on-cannabis/

Thats right, the NHL does NOT include Cannabis on its list of banned substances

Great stuff Ryan

Game set match bruh.

And they obtain them illegally. And they are probably 4x more likely to be on opioids. Football ain't pain free.

Most docs in Florida won't even prescribe pain killers anymore. It's a much different animal today than in the past.

Not sure on this one. While I would certainly agree that Private Prisons and their lobbying are to blame as well since they are paid by the number of inmates they house and they house a crap load of criminals just because of weed offenses (or previous weed offenses which are priors and lead to bigger sentences for other crimes, that is, getting them "in the system"). Knowing policing relatively well as I have family involved in higher levels of policing, I can guarantee you that most police would welcome not having to police this so they could spend more of their time on crimes that actually matter.

Rank and file police, I'm sure that's true. But chiefs and those that manage the budget would lose a major scare tactic for boosting their annual revenue. Why is it that most police departments oppose recreational pot?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

As I said, narcotic regulation has changed significantly since the Saints cabinet raid. Take it from someone who prescribes narcotics. It's become very cumbersome--especially in NYS. Most physicians would rather not write these scripts at all if they could avoid it.

This I agree with. My future sister-in-law is a dentist and we had a long conversation about this like 2 weeks ago. All of the steps, and paper trails that they have to go through are pretty crazy.

In terms of the NFL, it is a little strange though. They have a staff of doctors and the couple that I know (including my own primary now) are extremely liberal in issuing prescriptions. Maybe it is different in Louisiana but he asks what going on and if I want "X,Y,Z" and he writes a script. He also faces pressure to get guys back on the field fast, so he is fairly liberal in how he handles those things. Not to mention they are easily shared throughout the locker room. It is like college kids and Adderall. All that someone does is ask.

Game set match bruh.

That's retired NFL players, bruh. The topic being discussed in this thread is current players using weed for pain control versus being "hooked on pills" for pain control.

Keep trying, you can't fall in the same hole every time, right?

That's retired NFL players, bruh. The topic being discussed in this thread is current players using weed for pain control versus being "hooked on pills" for pain control.

I don't think Marcel was using this as a pain killer... Lagarette Blount maybe.

This I agree with. My future sister-in-law is a dentist and we had a long conversation about this like 2 weeks ago. All of the steps, and paper trails that they have to go through are pretty crazy.

In terms of the NFL, it is a little strange though. They have a staff of doctors and the couple that I know (including my own primary now) are extremely liberal in issuing prescriptions. Maybe it is different in Louisiana but he asks what going on and if I want "X,Y,Z" and he writes a script. He also faces pressure to get guys back on the field fast, so he is fairly liberal in how he handles those things. Not to mention they are easily shared throughout the locker room. It is like college kids and Adderall. All that someone does is ask.

They are allowed to keep a quantity prescribed by them to no particular patient. That's going to be far less common as the doc will be more and more responsible for every script he/she writes.

So these retired players just decided they needed pills after they retired or do you think maybe they got hooked prior to retiring?

So these retired players just decided they needed pills after they retired or do you think maybe they got hooked prior to retiring?

Many of these guys played years ago (and not sure how many respondents there were in that study) when they were offered fistfuls of narcs whenever. The point being made is that the availability of leagally, team doctor obtained narcotics has significantly changed and the DEA will make it even harder to get. So there is no reason to believe that "countless" current NFL players are already "hooked" "on pills".

The national narcotic abuse/nonprescription use in this country is about 2.5%. That would make only 1 in 10 retired NFL players narcotic addicts.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Sure lets forget about the past. Bruh.

It was like 5 years ago.

I'm sure all the pill poppers disclose the truth.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

I get the public image part but when you're suspending guys for 4+ games for smoking weed while suspending guys for 1-2 games for domestic violence, you've got your priorities wrong.

A point. A good point.

Why risk it? If the banned list had on it bananas, waffles, and milk, then don't eat bananas, waffles, and milk.

These pro athletes are supposedly so self-disciplined With their training; they need to be disciplined about following the rules too.

I take your valid point about needing to follow the rules the league has established

The difference between banning bananas, waffles, and milk and banning is that they don't offer the pain relief that marijuana does, which is why at least some of the players risk it. And it's really not much of a risk UNTIL the guys are in the drug program being tested 10x a month.

There is a legit reason to risk it, it offers an alternative to powerful and much more addictive prescription pain medications. Some (not all for sure, but some) players use it because prescription pain killers are flat out dangerous to use at the levels these people need to use them on a daily basis. On the other hand, you could smoke a little weed, not become physically addicted and cause minimal (if any) additional harm to your body.

The ONLY reason it is still illegal is because giant pharma lobby big time to keep it that way so they can keep patients addicted to their artificially created medications instead of someone growing their own medication. The gov't is bought and paid for. It's that simple.

I agree with your point about the legit reasons some players risk it

I know it's fashionable to blame "big pharma" for many things, but I think it's probably misplaced in this case. Look a bit deeper into the history of criminalizing marijuana and prosecuting marijuana cases though.