Jury Duty

/dev/null

i'm 53 years old and have never been called for jury duty....of course now that i just typed this, I am sure I will be called.

How is that possible?? I typically get called once a year. I guess I should stop voting.

At least technology and automated phone systems, computers have made it somewhat more bearable for the jury pool. You call in the night before to see if you have to even show up for the day, week...

Yeah right. Here in Alameda county you call in the night before and if they don't need you you have to call in the next day to see if they need you for the afternoon session. So you're taking the day off regardless.

How is that possible?? I typically get called once a year. I guess I should stop voting.

Yeah right. Here in Alameda county you call in the night before and if they don't need you you have to call in the next day to see if they need you for the afternoon session. So you're taking the day off regardless.

They probably figure that someone with 36K posts has some time to kill.

Hey as long as I can post from the jury box I'm ok with it.

Will County, Illinois county seat, Joliet, is a concrete jungle, complete w/outdoor PA system advising you what to do and more importantly what you can't do. A distopian scene that looks like Copland... Everywhere you look, there is either a squad car, lawyer/lawyer's office, or police officer walking around.

Don't dare getting your phone confiscated @ the courthouse... Leave the phone locked in your vehicle (out of sight of course)... You think anybody is protecting your vehicle. You think they like people carrying camera phones around?

You wouldn't think that a rural country county right in the nerve center of the Nation's corn belt could be so distopian. It is.

Joliet makes me homesick... J/K. But it is one effed up, post-industrial nightmare around the courthouse. ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Got called once and selected. The defendant was standing at the front of the court and we were called up and asked to look the defendant in the eye. I did and I had to sit on the jury. Later learned the key to getting out of serving is don't follow the instructions. People who looked at his shoes were not selected. Something to do with lawyers wanting to pick people they can lead. Canadian court FWIW

Got called once and selected. The defendant was standing at the front of the court and we were called up and asked to look the defendant in the eye. I did and I had to sit on the jury. Later learned the key to getting out of serving is don't follow the instructions. People who looked at his shoes were not selected. Something to do with lawyers wanting to pick people they can lead. Canadian court FWIW

Lawyers, procecutors aren't born, they are made... Just like salespeople.

It works both ways. Think for yourself, that is cool, right? Follow what other's say and be lead?

Why I pointed out the Grand Jury story above... Do you want somebody dedicated or a scumbag sitting on the jury? Well, whoever decides is "dedicated" or a "scumbag" I guess they wear it for the moment.

You can analyze it many ways. Find righteouness in however you play it. What can you live with? What are you grateful for? What are you doing your "right way" or your "wrong way."

LoL... I am actually quoting Smashing Pumpkins... It kind of fits even in my twisted mind.

"The world is a vampire, sent to drain

secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames

And what do I get, for my pain

Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game

Even though I know-I suppose I'll show

All my cool and cold-like old job

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage."

I'm 1 for 1 on jury duty selection too... or 0 for 1 I guess depending on how you look at it. It was an interesting case at least involving a couple teenagers who were caught hootin'-and-hollerin' driving a pickup truck around town with a rifle out one window and a confederate flag out the other. I really don't think they were out to actually hurt anyone, but they scared the willies out of three hispanic kids who testified. Their defense lawyer was the biggest idiot when his first statement was along the lines of 'we don't deny any of what the prosecution said', apparently asking us to consider that menacing (aka. brandishing in some states) was not the right charge. I kept the deliberation going a good couple hours longer after everyone else in the jury had pretty much made up their mind (guilty) but I thought we owed the teenager at least a solid discussion of whether or not there was any technicality that his dummy lawyer might have had a point on. But in the end, the menacing law is pretty clear in this state - you do not use firearms to intimidate.