TOD 8/3: If you could pick any HC, OC, DC with Bills roster

HC: John Harbaugh

OC: Greg Roman

DC: Jim Schwartz or Vic Fangio (I'd take either)

What struck me is, whilst refreshing my mind of who the current coordinators in the NFL are on both sides of the ball there doesn't look to be a huge amount of talent rising through the coaching ranks.

I think the OC in Arizona is one and McDaniels will get another chance but there isn't a huge list of future Head Coaches sitting there for my mind.

HC:Bill Belichick

OC:Todd Haley

DC:Wade Phillips

I couldn't agree more about the apparent lack of up and coming coaching talent amongst the coordinator ranks. It made my choices for offensive coordinator in particular quite difficult.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

McDaniels' jock is carried by Brady.

HC - Carroll (guys love playing for him)

OC - Arians (most creative offensive mind)

DC - Wade (hard to argue with his track record and he makes players for his system)

Nitpicking but does John Harbaugh even have a defensive back ground? I believe he was a STs coach before becoming a head coach?

And it seems like a lot of the picks are guys who have HOF Qbs. Personally, I think a great coach is somewhere who can raise the talent level of his players. Some posters here could be successful coach's with Brady or in his prime Manning.

I like this lineup. BB would be hard to argue against as HC, but he and Carroll are currently an order of magnitude better than anyone else coaching today.

How on earth would anyone pick Rex/Schwartz/whoever over Wade?? Simply amazing.

Sorry I think Bill made Brady, not the other way around. Tom couldn't even hold down the job in college. He was less of an athletic specimen than a quarter of this board. He was just cocky, pissed off and willing to do whatever beli told him.

Anywhere else he'd have never gotten off the bench

Add: see Cassel, Mallett, Hoyer... Even these guys looked outstanding in the preseason and decent when they play for the patsies.

Cassel had a 90 qbr in his first year starting!!!!

I tend to agree with this as Matt Cassel went 10-5 as the starting Patriots QB and then went 10-5 with the Chiefs and the constant between the two teams was that Patriots offensive scheme. Charlie Wies was the Chiefs OC in that one year that Cassel played for the Chiefs and he was thge one who started and setup that Patriots offense in 2000 and stayed thru 2004. Take away that Patriots style offense and Cassel fell on his face every other year anywhere else.

As far as other choices (not to be too critical here) but certain coaches came from a specific background and are still currently very much involved in how their area of the team is set up and schemed.

Pete Carroll got his start in the NFL as the Buffalo Bills DB's coach in 1984 and he currently likes to run variations of a 4-3 and has a defined idea in exactly how his defensive backfield is setup and schemed.

Like someone else mentioned that Jim Harbaugh was never an OC but started as a QB coach for the Raiders and went from there to HC. His brother John was a special teams coach for a lot of years and spent time as a DB / LBers coach in college. So he was never a DC.

Belichick was a bad head coach before Brady and he had some very good to decent Qbs - Testaverdr and Bledsoe.

Bill Belichick was never a ''bad'' HC in Cleveland as he took that crapload of a Browns team to 11-5 after four years mostly because he inherited such a 3-13 mess. That 11-5 record is the best record that team had seen since 1980 and hasn't seen it again since 1994. Nick Saban was his DC and his defense was #1 in points allowed and #7 in yards allowed that year.

The problem with both those QB's in Testaverde and Bledsoe is both were statues and if give great protection then both usually excelled. That 1994 year the Browns allowed the fewest sacks in the league as Vinnie was only sacked 12 times all season. The thing is Vinnie still threw only 16 TD's vs 18 INT's that year.

The bigger problem was the very next year (1995) the Browns started the season 4-1 and then by week 9 the team was 4-4. At that point, the owner announced to the world the team was moving the following year to Baltimore. The team collapsed after that announcement winning only one more game all year and Art Modell fired Belichick.

Vinnie Testaverde sucked IMO. 20 years in the NFL after being the #1 overall to Tampa and he played for 7 different teams and he only had four winning seasons in all that time. 9-4 with Cleve, 12-1, 9-7, 10-6 with the Jets

If I had to choose I'd pick HC Belichick, OC Bruce Ariens, DC Wade Phillips

Who would you pick? Keep in mind players on the field do not change. If players held constant and coaching staff is new who would they be?

HC - Bill Bellicheck - evil genius

OC - Greg Roman - offensive innovator

DC - Wade Phillips - Defensive master mind

Doug Marrone

Bruce Arians

Pete Carrol

Who does what?

I'm assuming Doug is quality control.

Bruce Arians

Greg Roman

Wade Phillips

:thumbsup: