The Greens Moment

Over the last few years, Libertarian friendly websites and media outlets (and even some not so friendly) have pontificated if the Libertarian moment is upon us.

Would fiscally responsible / socially moderate Republicans bolt the GoP for the LP? Or would there be an internal power struggle within the GoP between the social conservatives/NeoCon/Old guard and the Libertarian leaning wing?

I'm wondering with the release of the DNC emails, is the Greens Moment upon us?

The Sandernistas had been vocally anti-Clinton throughout the primary season. But given the option of voting Trump or Clinton in November, odds were heavily in favor of the Bernie Bros flocking home with the rest of the Democrat sheep.

But now I'm kind of wondering if this is the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's cankle.

This is a golden opportunity for Stein and the Greens to attract disgruntled leftists.

The Greens had already cost the Democrats the Presidency in 2000 by drawing enough votes in Florida away from Gore. If the Greens focus on luring enough disaffected lefties in Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania to flip them to the Republicans they would have tremendous leverage over the Democrats by proving they cannot win without the Greens

She's gonna get a lot of support. Probably a quarter of any friends of mine who supported Sanders are backing Stein, some even sending money to the Greens or her personal campaign.

I think we will see two third parties crack 5% in November. We could potentially see one in five voters pull the lever for somebody other than Orthrus.

Stein certainly has the heart of the Sanders supporters but when those voters draw the curtain and face down a Trump presidency, they will fall in line.

The conservatives, on the other hand...I could see more of them pulling a lever for Johnson.

First, let me be shocked that the toad actually started a thread, never mind wrote more than 140 characters in one. I mean, please, let us all acknowledge the toad for posting some original thought, and asking Socratic questions no less.

As far at the content: it's perfectly reasonable to expect Gore minus Nader outcomes, especially in Florida. Live there for 4 months straight. Imagine telling the worst joke in your pantheon, and it working, every time. Why even bother getting to your best ones? In fact, telling your worst ones get girls to sit on your lap, so...yeah: the Greens have a great shot at taking FL away from Hillary, just like they did with Gore.

Low information, C+ voter in FL...is like a D+ student in VA, and a held back student in NY. So, Jill Stein is only a couple of half-price happy hours/bikini contests away from doing the Nader thing in FL.

In fact, I believe that Stein has no effect anywhere BUT FL. Run through the swing states in your mind. See? FL is the ONLY place where Stein's message gets anywhere, because those people are flat out stupid.

(EDIT: When I retire, one of my hobbies is going to be making FL people do stupid things for very little $, on Youtube. The game part is, if they do the first stupid thing for free, then they get a chance at doing the much dumber thing for $. Now, you tell me, first, "Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?", and 2nd, what are the chances that they won't do the 2nd thing? See? An entire business model based solely on the idiocy of Floridians...and it's a goldmine with practically no overhead.)

Edited by OCinBuffalo

IMO, Democrats so despise Trump that come election day they will flock to the polls to defeat him and I don't see the Greens taking enough votes away from Hillary to matter. I think with a viable or even likeable candidate, the Republicans could win this election but they decided to roll out the only figure as polarizing as Sarah Palin.

Gary Johnson will have a solid outcome as he'll draw the votes of people like me who could never put in a vote for either Clinton or Trump.

IMO, Democrats so despise Trump that come election day they will flock to the polls to defeat him and I don't see the Greens taking enough votes away from Hillary to matter.

Dems play that card every election. Nothing special about Trump; they hate anyone who isn't a lock-stepper. The difference this time is they don't have a likable candidate like Bill or Barry.

Edited by KD in CA

I think the Green Party would have a lot more support if Jill Stein wasn't the headpiece of it. She's not at all qualified to be POTUS, and frankly she's a little nutty.

If Sanders, or some other experienced politician were the head of the Green Party, you'd be seeing a lot of support... and likely a Trump victory.

Most liberals are going to be voting for Clinton, because they 'understand the stakes', even if Clinton isn't their preferred candidate.

I think the Green Party would have a lot more support if Jill Stein wasn't the headpiece of it. She's not at all qualified to be POTUS, and frankly she's a little nutty.

Name me a Green candidate that's not a little nutty? They ran Cynthia McKinney in 2008 for God's sake. Referring to her as just a little nutty is a huge step up.

I have not a clue, I'm not in tune with the Green Party. I gave them a glance over because I see a certain amount of liberals looking into it. On paper, I'm aligned with much of their platform, but again, until they get some serious politicians behind them, I'm not taking them too seriously.

Ideally I'd love to see a legitimate 3rd/4th party option, but I don't think our political system will allow it to happen.

Edited by Dorkington

I have not a clue, I'm not in tune with the Green Party. I gave them a glance over because I see a certain amount of liberals looking into it. On paper, I'm aligned with much of their platform, but again, until they get some serious politicians behind them, I'm not taking them too seriously.

Ideally I'd love to see a legitimate 3rd/4th party option, but I don't think our political system will allow it to happen.

The problem with the Green party is they only gear up for presidential elections - if they want to be relevant they have to do the hard work of getting Greens elected to school boards and city councilmen, then to state positions, then to congress and governors, then make a run at president.

The problem with the Green party is they only gear up for presidential elections - if they want to be relevant they have to do the hard work of getting Greens elected to school boards and city councilmen, then to state positions, then to congress and governors, then make a run at president.

You mean invest time, effort & money into a real organization?