Best Hotel(s) Near RWS?

Hey guys!

(Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed somewhere. I searched around for a bit and couldn't find anything.)

I am going to be driving up to the home opener this year with a couple friends, and we are thinking about staying in a hotel near RWS, instead of crashing in Rochester the entire weekend.

In your experiences, what are the best places to stay near RWS? It doesn't need to be anything spectacular, but does need to be as close to the stadium as possible ...

Thanks in advance for your help! GO BILLS!!!

Downtown would make sense if your making a weekend of it and want to Uber to Chipewa Saturday night. If you just want to be as close to the stadium as possible, there are a couple of crappy hotels around there with an econo Lodge, Red Roof Inn, etc.

The closest probably reasonable hotel is a Hampton Inn a few miles away. Your not close to night life, but that really should determine where you stay.

TorBuf is probably right as long as you either use Uber or have a DD. Just be safe.

I'm so lucky as my Dad is under 5 miles from the stadium in a small development behind the old Immaculata Girls HS. Sad as I heard it closed. I was a Frannys boy as was my brother and all of my cousins. My sisters and female cousins all went to Immaculata.

Have fun Mark. From your comment, sounds like your going to the Jets game. Our big trek up there is the following game for the Angry Birds.

Not many "hotels" near the stadium (which in 5 miles). Mostly motels.

As far as Uber goes, no love there either.

How hard is it to get a taxi after the game? We're staying downtown and don't want to make someone DD

How hard is it to get a taxi after the game? We're staying downtown and don't want to make someone DD

http://www.buffalobills.com/tickets/stadium/faqs.html#15

In addition to Designated Drivers of Buffalo, taxi service is available to all fans that may need a responsible method of transportation. Taxi cabs are lined up postgame on the east side of Abbott Road near the Scoreboard Tailgate Party.

Downtown would make sense if your making a weekend of it and want to Uber to Chipewa Saturday night. If you just want to be as close to the stadium as possible, there are a couple of crappy hotels around there with an econo Lodge, Red Roof Inn, etc.

The closest probably reasonable hotel is a Hampton Inn a few miles away. Your not close to night life, but that really should determine where you stay.

TorBuf is probably right as long as you either use Uber or have a DD. Just be safe.

I'm so lucky as my Dad is under 5 miles from the stadium in a small development behind the old Immaculata Girls HS. Sad as I heard it closed. I was a Frannys boy as was my brother and all of my cousins. My sisters and female cousins all went to Immaculata.

Have fun Mark. From your comment, sounds like your going to the Jets game. Our big trek up there is the following game for the Angry Birds.

Thanks! I moved to NYC about 10 years ago, but still make it to at least one home game a year. Also never miss a Bills/Jets game at Metlife!

Thanks! I moved to NYC about 10 years ago, but still make it to at least one home game a year. Also never miss a Bills/Jets game at Metlife!

Cool bud. I agree with one poster, just get a car service. They are cleaner, more space, and sometimes the same cost as a cab. I use these a lot due to corporate travel. Usually the car service drivers are pretty cool. They also ( sorry if I offend anyone ) usually speak English. I don't care about people's ethnicity or race, but hard to communicate with some cabbies who have very limited language skills. Again, not a racial thing but when you travel almost every week, and you are doing your best to communicate with someone, it is a pain.

Again, have a great time.

I plan to stay in downtown (after a few days in Williamsville near "home") and transportation is my biggest concern. Not sure if my sons will be joining - one doesn't drink so a built in DD, but I don't even want the rental car by that point. Curious about car service to and from game. How would that work, exactly? Cost is not a huge factor for me. It's an annual thing, not weekly. Who do you hook up with and how would you find them to get back? This may be my path.

Augie - car service is a piece of cake. There in every city. Just look up on line, and have a pre-assigned time. I grew up there so know the area, but have mores away a long time ago. Find a location like the Big tree or somewhere you can walk to easily and meet say at x time. I assume your going to watch the whole game and doesn't start til 8:30 pm. 3 hrs 15 min, plus walking time in the crowd. I would pick 12:30 am to be safe, and they'll be there.

A lot of times the car services get there early and will definitely know to do it for a ride from the stadium. Usually you can secure a guaranteed rate so not related to time in traffic. The service should be able to tell you. They always take cc, so you don't need cash on hand.

Hammers lot is almost across the street from the Big Tree so would be a great place to plant yourself. You could always have them meet in the ECC parking lot across from Hammers Lot. The local guys could probably give better advice.

Well this is hysterical! I left for college at 17 and rarely got back after that, so I've never been to the Big Tree. I googled it once years ago, but came upon a different thing entirely! The "where and what" of the Big Tree now makes FAR more sense. And the idea of crashing Hammers lot is icing on the cake. Time to pick my game. I took both my boys to Jets games when they turned 16. I thought we had a great chance for a win, which is always more fun. Sadly, we split, but they are still both huge Bills fans.

Come to the Cards game bud. Age your boys hang out with my family. We'll throw a few pops back, and talk about our favorite topic, the Bills. My boys are 17 and 15. You guys are going to have to tolerate he has been a huge Cardinals fan since a very little boy and can explain. He'll be in his Cards gear. I told him we'll rib him, but no one is throwing a beer on him.

We just Ubered to and from the game in Nashville last year and that was a piece of cake. We Uber about Atlanta and last month Boston. My wife travels constantly and loves Uber. It's a great way to get around. Was not aware that wasn't an option in NY.

When I took the oldest up for his rite of initiation (from Sarasota), we went with a bus full of Hampton Inn employees and a handful of Jets fans staying there. The Jets fans were awesome to my son, who was in a walking boot at the time due to a broken ankle. They were so nice no one cared that we had to go straight to the airport from the stadium for them to catch their flight. I can forgive a kid in a Cards jersey and will look into that week. The younger son is about to start his first real job at PWC in September. Interesting times for us, as we get 2 kids off the payroll at the same time!

Oddly, my son had been to the Bills/Bucs game a few weeks earlier in Tampa. I asked how the 2 experiences compared. He responded "Oh, there is no comparison, those were 2 VERY different experiences!" Bills win!

Edited by Augie