TOD 7/18: The Jills - are they & should they be gone forever

The time of the professional football cheerleader has past. The profession only stands to demean women in modern society.

Women who WANT to be cheerleaders are demeaning women? That makes ENTIRELY no sense... if they were, there would be no women doing it obviously. That's the problem with this generation... always have to find fault with everything for one reason or another.

Edited by BmoreBills

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Seattle so I never saw much of the Jills anyway. I'm pretty much in agreement with the sentiment that cheerleaders at NFL games are mostly relics of a bygone era.

Then again, cheerleaders do some nice community outreach stuff. When I was stationed in Korea, the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders once showed up in a helicopter (that I had arranged) to entertain us soldiers out in the field. That was pretty cool and good for morale. It was especially cool when one of the soldiers in my platoon shockingly recognized one of the girls as an old high school friend.

I live in Seattle so I never saw much of the Jills anyway. I'm pretty much in agreement with the sentiment that cheerleaders at NFL games are mostly relics of a bygone era.

Then again, cheerleaders do some nice community outreach stuff. When I was stationed in Korea, the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders once showed up in a helicopter (that I had arranged) to entertain us soldiers out in the field. That was pretty cool and good for morale. It was especially cool when one of the soldiers in my platoon shockingly recognized one of the girls as an old high school friend.

Couldn't help but think of this:

The time of the professional football cheerleader has past. The profession only stands to demean women in modern society.

Ya know what...this. I think this is fairly accurate.

Additionally, Yolo said it well, too, concerning the place for this in college and high school. This game has become so big that there is just something very passe about cheer leading in the pros.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

We are on page 3 and no one has posted a single pic of the Jills. That's telling in regards to their popularity.

I'll throw this in: I've seen teams bring in HS cheer squads for games. I understand why. It's a thrill for the kids to cheer at an NFL game. It's well-intentioned. But I hate it. There's just something deeply creepy about seeing kids cheer an NFL game. The stands are not filled with kids the same age as the girls and parents of school kids as they are at a HS game, they're filled with mostly older men in various states of inebriation. It's messed up and I hope the Bills don't ever go that route.