Tyrod made the right read, can you?

That CB has his eyes on Hogan. When Hogan breaks his route, the CB stops to follow. The Safety has the deep route, but he's not nearly in position to stop a good throw to Woods.

The pre snap read gives a good indication that Hogan will have some space underneath the coverage, and Taylor reads it and makes a good play. The Woods option would have been more on the fly. Taylor is young, and made the high probability play. To make leaps in his game and be the QB we all hope for, he'll make that TD throw.

The CB doesnt stop shuffling until tyrod pats the ball and has his arm back to throw. This play will make much more sense once u watch my breakdown on TT, where I cover how the Pats played him in the first game. He had trouble w Cover 3 in the first game. This game he recognized it and delivered to the correct option. This was sign of progress, but again you can't see it bc I havent shown u the first game lol..Thanks for playing!

Tyrod made the correct read I did not I thought man and had Sammy 1on 1.But those people saying to hit woods deep I feel are wrong.The corner back initially has woods covered but after Tyrod start to make the throw that's when woods gets open.If he had held the ball Woodsy would be covered IMO

I agree, the CB doesnt stop his shuffle until TT pats the ball and starts his throwing motion. Woods has barely cleared the slot DB...

More video clips here https://www.facebook.com/Cover1eturner/

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun. The corners backep up and opened their hips to the QB suggesting zone all the way. Tyrod made the correct read. Though I don't think a deep ball to the slot WR (Woods I think) would have been a bad option as well. The deep safety could not get there and a ball thrown closer to the hash than the sideline would have given the WR inside position on the deep 1/3 CB. Easy 9 yards versus 25-30 yards. If that slot WR was taller he would have an even greater advantage on the deep 1/3 CB.

What is worse than a 9 yard gain is that Hogan chose to run out of bounds when the clock would have stopped anyways with the two minute warning. He had momentum to get a few more yards. It may not sound like much but 1st and 10 after the two minute warning versus 2nd and 1 is a big difference. It is an extra down to waste if they need to spike the ball or take a deep shot to the end-zone.

Dumb play by Hogan.

Little things add up. That is on the player. Every person on this board and watching on TV knows he doesn't need to go out of bounds.

Fun. The corners backep up and opened their hips to the QB suggesting zone all the way. Tyrod made the correct read. Though I don't think a deep ball to the slot WR (Woods I think) would have been a bad option as well. The deep safety could not get there and a ball thrown closer to the hash than the sideline would have given the WR inside position on the deep 1/3 CB. Easy 9 yards versus 25-30 yards. If that slot WR was taller he would have an even greater advantage on the deep 1/3 CB.

What is worse than a 9 yard gain is that Hogan chose to run out of bounds when the clock would have stopped anyways with the two minute warning. He had momentum to get a few more yards. It may not sound like much but 1st and 10 after the two minute warning versus 2nd and 1 is a big difference. It is an extra down to waste if they need to spike the ball or take a deep shot to the end-zone.

Dumb play by Hogan.

Little things add up. That is on the player. Every person on this board and watching on TV knows he doesn't need to go out of bounds.

Brady* will blow Hogan up for that this year.

wasn't much of a read, the throw was pre determined based on the coverage and the circumstances. they have run that play 1000000's of times in practice and i'll bet money that he throws to Hogan 9 times of out 10, especially in the 2-min drill. if he was reading the D, as soon as Woods' man dropped off into his zone he was wide open with the single safety high. but the play is designed where Tyrod knows that Woods' route is designed to run the defense off and he will never throw to Woods because that's just how the play is designed. they might see what happened there upstairs and then radio down to Tyrod to run it again and look for Woods this time but otherwise Tyrod is not looking to throw to Woods he's looking at the underneath route with Hogan the whole way

Edited by kdiggz

wasn't much of a read, the throw was pre determined based on the coverage and the circumstances. they have run that play 1000000's of times in practice and i'll bet money that he throws to Hogan 9 times of out 10, especially in the 2-min drill. if he was reading the D, as soon as Woods' man dropped off into his zone he was wide open with the single safety high. but the play is designed where Tyrod knows that Woods' route is designed to run the defense off and he will never throw to Woods because that's just how the play is designed. they might see what happened there upstairs and then radio down to Tyrod to run it again and look for Woods this time but otherwise Tyrod is not looking to throw to Woods he's looking at the underneath route with Hogan the whole way

That is called reading the defensive coverage, he knows the defense hence he knows where to go to with the ball. A good read bc he knows the flats defender cant get there.

I play madden to much. Soon as I read cover 3 all I was thinking was hit the slot in the seam

If Hogan was running a vertical route/All Verts then the seam would be the primary vs. Cover 3! Great job

Edited by TurnerE

Yes pre snap read

The slot defender is aligned outside of Woods, what happens if he doesnt get depth w Woods' vert, but instead he just buzzes to the flats like he should have? Would TT have thrown it to him from the far hash? No, bc he had to still find the flats defender, read his actions and get the ball to the proper WR right?

I read the cover-3 and figured correctly the two outside WR's would be open. The timing of the play calls for hitting Hogan just as Woods is running by the flat defender to block him from cutting off the pass(if its zone) or running him out (if its man).

Why is there a play where Hogan is the primary read?

Personally, I would have gone for Watkins because he had his CB completely turned around. It's a risky throw over the flat defender but could be a TD if he makes his already confused CB over-run the comeback tackle. (Watkins was open no matter what defense the Patriots decided to run there.)

Edited by unbillievable

The slot defender is aligned outside of Woods, what happens if he doesnt get depth w Woods' vert, but instead he just buzzes to the flats like he should have? Would TT have thrown it to him from the far hash? No, bc he had to still find the flats defender, read his actions and get the ball to the proper WR right?

Or would he get spooked and try and tuck it and run? We saw a lot of that last year where if the outside primary receiver is covered Tyrod is unable to read the D and find the receiver in the middle of the field. You are right though, the CB's hips are open watching the QB, another sign of zone, and his responsibility is deep thirds so he's ready to take Woods on the seam and the slot defender could have jumped Hogan's route. That would have been a heck of a defensive play though plus he was already too far back at the snap to get there. 9 times out of 10 he's going to Hogan there and if he's covered I bet he likes to roll out and hit the TE. It all happens so fast, I guess my point was that hes most likely not reading the D on the fly he's going to Hogan there all the way and I bet if hes covered he would have scrambled. It would be interesting to find another example of this play from another game to see what he does differently if anything

Or would he get spooked and try and tuck it and run? We saw a lot of that last year where if the outside primary receiver is covered Tyrod is unable to read the D and find the receiver in the middle of the field. You are right though, the CB's hips are open watching the QB, another sign of zone, and his responsibility is deep thirds so he's ready to take Woods on the seam and the slot defender could have jumped Hogan's route. That would have been a heck of a defensive play though plus he was already too far back at the snap to get there. 9 times out of 10 he's going to Hogan there and if he's covered I bet he likes to roll out and hit the TE. It all happens so fast, I guess my point was that hes most likely not reading the D on the fly he's going to Hogan there all the way and I bet if hes covered he would have scrambled. It would be interesting to find another example of this play from another game to see what he does differently if anything

I did not see the tuck it and run as much as you seem to have. I saw a QB move in the pocket and keep looking downfield for throws. I thought he could have run more than he did. He forced some throws while on the move. I don't want him to get hurt but I will take eight yards and a slide instead of him trying to throw on the run

I did not see the tuck it and run as much as you seem to have. I saw a QB move in the pocket and keep looking downfield for throws. I thought he could have run more than he did. He forced some throws while on the move. I don't want him to get hurt but I will take eight yards and a slide instead of him trying to throw on the run

He took off 51x out of 467 dropbacks per PFF...

It would matter to me if the OL had been consistantly holding up during the game......because I really want that longer pass that required the extra second.

That is a touchdown.

No it's not, the corner doesn't break off his deep coverage until Taylor has already committed to throw the comeback in front of him. Pause the video at 1:15 and look. Taylor is in mid delivery and the CB hasn't yet put his foot in the ground to stop and come back. Meaning that if Taylor had held the ball the corner would have continued his deep coverage - which was his primary responsibility. The corner also had outside leverage which would have kept the receiver inside the numbers - which is where the corner's help is coming from. Not only is that not a touchdown, it's throwing into double coverage.

On that play there was only one easy throw and Taylor made it. The TE was choice #2 and the flat LB would have killed him. Throwing to Sammy would have been a difficult throw over the LB and in front of the corner and getting there before Sammy went out of bounds. They also had the deep safety shaded to that side of the field and if you notice the RCB was about 3 yards shallower than the LCB - he had more immediate deep help and could afford to be closer to Sammy. The LCB had 3 receivers on his side of the field and his help was further away. Given that his main job in that coverage is to not get beat deep he naturally will be further off - which he was. If Taylor had pivoted left the LB wold have continued to bail into the flat and the CB - who had no other threats on that side - was already pretty close to Sammy and would have been able to be able to react aggressively to the play knowing that if it was a double move the safety had his back over the top.

Edited by That's No Moon

No it's not, the corner doesn't break off his deep coverage until Taylor has already committed to throw the comeback in front of him. Pause the video at 1:15 and look. Taylor is in mid delivery and the CB hasn't yet put his foot in the ground to stop and come back. Meaning that if Taylor had held the ball the corner would have continued his deep coverage - which was his primary responsibility. The corner also had outside leverage which would have kept the receiver inside the numbers - which is where the corner's help is coming from. Not only is that not a touchdown, it's throwing into double coverage.

On that play there was only one easy throw and Taylor made it. The TE was choice #2 and the flat LB would have killed him. Throwing to Sammy would have been a difficult throw over the LB and in front of the corner and getting there before Sammy went out of bounds. They also had the deep safety shaded to that side of the field and if you notice the RCB was about 3 yards shallower than the LCB - he had more immediate deep help and could afford to be closer to Sammy. The LCB had 3 receivers on his side of the field and his help was further away. Given that his main job in that coverage is to not get beat deep he naturally will be further off - which he was. If Taylor had pivoted left the LB wold have continued to bail into the flat and the CB - who had no other threats on that side - was already pretty close to Sammy and would have been able to be able to react aggressively to the play knowing that if it was a double move the safety had his back over the top.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Personally, I would have gone for Watkins because he had his CB completely turned around. It's a risky throw over the flat defender but could be a TD if he makes his already confused CB over-run the comeback tackle. (Watkins was open no matter what defense the Patriots decided to run there.)

The CB on Watkins was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing and wasn't turned or "confused" around at all. He's looking directly at the QB in that situation and the second Taylor turns left he comes out of his bail and closes on Watkins. There are no other receivers on that side of the field and everything is happening right in front of him - Taylor turns left = ball to Watkins. The LB did a really good job of getting into the flat and he would have kept going had Taylor turned. Watkins was also on the short side of the field which makes the flat LBs job easier. Is the throw possible? Probably. Is it a ton riskier? You bet. 2 minutes left in the half in a 3-3 game at midfield you take the easy completion get your 9 yards and move on.

When you run an overload against a zone you almost always (barring a complete dropped coverage) throw to the overload side because the other side will have a bunch of guys who only have to focus in one place. The purpose of the overload is to give the defenders too many places to be so you open up a seam in the zone - which they did. Woods threatened the deep corner which prevented him from immediately closing on Hogan to the outside, the TE threatened the flat LB right in front of him which looked juicy when Taylor cocked his arm - hence the reaction. Space = cleared. The other side of the zone was pristine. The OLB had Sammy short outside, the ILB had Sammy short inside, the CB had him outside intermediate to deep and the safety was on that side deep as well.

The CB on Watkins was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing and wasn't turned or "confused" around at all. He's looking directly at the QB in that situation and the second Taylor turns left he comes out of his bail and closes on Watkins. There are no other receivers on that side of the field and everything is happening right in front of him - Taylor turns left = ball to Watkins. The LB did a really good job of getting into the flat and he would have kept going had Taylor turned. Watkins was also on the short side of the field which makes the flat LBs job easier. Is the throw possible? Probably. Is it a ton riskier? You bet. 2 minutes left in the half in a 3-3 game at midfield you take the easy completion get your 9 yards and move on.

When you run an overload against a zone you almost always (barring a complete dropped coverage) throw to the overload side because the other side will have a bunch of guys who only have to focus in one place. The purpose of the overload is to give the defenders too many places to be so you open up a seam in the zone - which they did. Woods threatened the deep corner which prevented him from immediately closing on Hogan to the outside, the TE threatened the flat LB right in front of him which looked juicy when Taylor cocked his arm - hence the reaction. Space = cleared. The other side of the zone was pristine. The OLB had Sammy short outside, the ILB had Sammy short inside, the CB had him outside intermediate to deep and the safety was on that side deep as well.

The cornerback was facing inside with his hips facing towards the goalpost when Sammy made his break. There is no human alive who can run in the opposite direction of their hips. The only player that could have made that play was the linebacker in front who was was also shading inside. There was no safety on the play since he moved to cover the overload.

The CB responsibility was the deep route and his technique was towards covering over the top. It wasn't a trail since it's cover-3. The Linebacker was the flat. The comeback intermediate was open, which is where Sammy went.

The play was designed for Hogan and Taylor made the easy read and throw. To the primary receiver. But Watkins was also open.

Unlike Madden, it isn't about where the Defender is located, but how their body is positioned. A player that is 5yds away facing a receiver can get there faster than one turned around 1yd away. Brady, Rogers, (Kyle Orton) makes those throws. Watch their games.

Edited by unbillievable

The cornerback was facing inside with his hips facing towards the goalpost when Sammy made his break. There is no human alive who can run in the opposite direction of their hips. The only player that could have made that play was the linebacker in front who was was also shading inside. There was no safety on the play since he moved to cover the overload.

The CB responsibility was the deep route and his technique was towards covering over the top. It wasn't a trail since it's cover-3. The Linebacker was the flat. The comeback intermediate was open, which is where Sammy went.

The play was designed for Hogan and Taylor made the easy read and throw. To the primary receiver. But Watkins was also open.

Unlike Madden, it isn't about where the Defender is located, but how their body is positioned. A player that is 5yds away facing a receiver can get there faster than one turned around 1yd away. Brady, Rogers, (Kyle Orton) makes those throws. Watch their games.

You're absolutely correct. Since Taylor was facing to the right there was no physical way for him to throw it to the left and thus no reason for the CB to react and alter his drop.

Brady's made a nice living throwing the ball to the right places rather than locking into one receiver and forcing it in. On that play, Hogan was the right place to throw whether or not you like Chris Hogan as a football player or not.

Take your patronizing tone somewhere else and learn what you're talking about before you bring it out again.

Edited by That's No Moon