NFL Network: Top Five Bills of All Time

Good call on Sestak. He was every bit as good as Bob Lilly; a force, especially vs. the run.

Again, taking nothing away from Stratton, but I don't think he cracks top 10 on my list.

And I say that, knowing numerical rankings of great players is unfair.

GO BILLS!!!

The human naturally wants to quantify the environment.

It's just how the brain is wired. to make sense of things.

Some take it a bit far , perhaps ha ha !

But thats another story

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for posting Old Timer!

Keep us kids in line : )

:worthy::thumbsup:

Original Bills Fan, I was 11 when the team was born. Used to remember going to Saturday night games on a school bus at the Rock Pile, School kids got in for a buck. Proud to have been there when Cookie set the pro football rushing record in a "mosh pit" in 1963. Field was a quagmire, and he would hit the line and carry defenders 5 yards until they brought him down by gang tackling.

The entire defense from that AFL championship run was pretty special.

someone should link some film clips...

Original Bills Fan, I was 11 when the team was born. Used to remember going to Saturday night games on a school bus at the Rock Pile, School kids got in for a buck. Proud to have been there when Cookie set the pro football rushing record in a "mosh pit" in 1963. Field was a quagmire, and he would hit the line and carry defenders 5 yards until they brought him down by gang tackling.

I can honestly imagine it.

Did you guys really call it a Mosh Pit though ?

I'm not sure Stratton was even the best player on most of the Bills teams he played on. Cookie was better. I think Saimes was better too. Sestak was better as well.

Not sure how they came up with that one, other than the big hit on Lincoln is part of Bills lore.

I'm not sure Stratton was even the best player on most of the Bills teams he played on. Cookie was better. I think Saimes was better too. Sestak was better as well.

Not sure how they came up with that one, other than the big hit on Lincoln is part of Bills lore.

who's Lincoln? You mean he hit the President ?

someone should link some film clips...

I can honestly imagine it.

Did you guys really call it a Mosh Pit though ?

I think it was a quagmire or mudhole back in those days. But you get the picture. The other thing that was amazing was that Lamonica [who was the QB that day, Kemp was hurt] was also the PUNTER, and kicked for a 46 yard average. Cookie had 5TD's that day.

Read your history books whippersnapper. The book Rockin the Rockpile is a good place to start

Thanks . note made.

I think it was a quagmire or mudhole back in those days. But you get the picture. The other thing that was amazing was that Lamonica [who was the QB that day, Kemp was hurt] was also the PUNTER, and kicked for a 46 yard average. Cookie had 5TD's that day.

oh for for sure.

Watching the video reminded me of a couple things.

One of those was real grass. But i really enjoyed the link !

Bruce, OJ, Kelly, Thurman, Reed.

3 of those guys are from the same generation of Bills.

It is interesting for sure to watch that video. I got a little kick from it.

Must be plenty of players from back in the day we would have picked if we had watched them as closely as we did the Superbowl years.

Butch Byrd is the only Bill defender on the pro football reference all 60's team 3x first team all pro. Billy Shaw is in the HOF deservedly, And Ron McDole was also on that team.

Bruce Smith holds the nfl sack record and he played in a predominantly 3-4 system. That is incredible. In my opinion, not only is he the best Bill ever, he is one of the best players in NFL history.

And he usually had more than 100 total tackles for the season, which was also amazing

It's interesting, looking back at some of the AFL players and stats - QB stands out as having stats for top players that, by today's standards, are below pedestrian. Most other offensive stat leaders are pretty comparable to today.

It's interesting, looking back at some of the AFL players and stats - QB stands out as having stats for top players that, by today's standards, are below pedestrian. Most other offensive stat leaders are pretty comparable to today.

The passing game was a lot more physical, very few players got a free release like they do today. Butch Byrd was a 210 pound cornerback, don't see that size on the corner very often these days. Lamonica had a career record as a starter of 66-16-6 [.784], but a completion % below 50, and a QBR of 72.9.

School buses at the Rockpile! Ha! I didn't even remember that until I just read it. We took a bus in a few times, but not sure if I was on a school bus. I DO remember seeing them in the area and thinking it was strange, and I was born the same month the Bills were.

And I didn't realize Butch Byrd was that big. My sister used to babysit for them and I played with his son. I'm lucky he was a nice guy after I crushed and egg and sprayed him with it all over his suit one time. Long story, but kids do stupid things....

Bruce at #5 is just crazy talk.

26CB - dude, you are the best. I'm having fun watching th 64 highlights. By tomorrow night I hope to get through both years you posted, and makes me think, "what if these were the first SB's?

Could Lombardi beat them? We'll never know, and both teams were fantastic. Just thinking of the defensive battle that would have happened, and the running game with Cookie.

I guess woulda coulda shoulda. What if the Bills were the winners of SB1 and 2?

Anyway, I wasn't born until 67 so before me, but my dad always talks how fondly it was to go to the pile for the games.