Your thoughts on Hughes as a 3-4 olb vs 4-3 de

Dopey

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't think Jerry is a straight baller your out ya damn mind.Most underrated player in the nfl.This dude shuts down practice.On a DL full of amazing talent he stands out.He will make plays in a 3-4,4-3,hand in the grass,two hands,standing,or two hands behind his back.Just because he wasn't a standout in indy don't mean a damn thang he's a straight killer now and when your that good it's not the scheme.

What are you asking?

Hughes lead our defense in run stops, which is amazing considering he wasn't much of a run defender in the past. He also lead our defense by a lot in total sacks/hits/pressures. He was still one of the best in the NFL rushing the passer even though the sacks weren't there. He also was effective in coverage.

Hughes probably deserved another 4-5 sacks he just missed. He really turned into an all around stud player for us last year.

Which is why I'm confused by the premise of this post. He's the last guy I'm worried about on defense.

I thought we overpaid him on the extension, and that his breakout season was due to 3 other D'line pro bowlers taking the heat off him, and that he was the most undisciplined head case/15 yard personal foul per game slug we've ever had.

Then he goes out and has an even better season with Rex's system, develops his game even more, plays to the whistle and smoked some stud LT's consistently. Everything Mario wasn't last year, Jerry Hughes was.

I still think drafting a true NT and a speedy/coverage type LB would have served us better, but Jerry will be a headache for opposing qb's all year.

http://buffalofambase.org/2016/02/16/jerry-hughes/

This is definitely worth the read. It's a pretty good breakdown of Hughes' last season and some differences from 2014. After reading this it's awfully difficult to blame any defensive setbacks last year on him. Other than too many penalties he did have an excellent season.

Edited by BarleyNY

I'm curious what the thoughts are on moving Hughes to a 3-4 olb from 4-3 de. I'm really concerned and the main reason is wasn't he drafted as a 3-4 olb and flame out in Indy? We got him for a steal because he wasn't working out as an olb. We bring him in as a 4-3 de and bamm! He blossoms into a disrupting sack machine. 10 sacks 2 yrs straight. Now he's back to a position where he struggled enough to warrant a trade for a song. I routinely bash Rex,that's not what I'm trying to do here, but why would Rex move him back to a position where he failed when he showed so much before Rex? How does this even make sense? I hope this move works out, but I have serious doubts and if he resorts back to his Indy performance along with Lawson out for a while we are screwed. IMO Rex is not putting Hughes in a place where he can succeed. Thoughts?

#1 - he is a very talented mental head case. high motor.

#2- he is an above average one trick pony rushing the QB.

#3- he is a lousy OLB.

#4- very rarely double team blocked.

#5- Bills overpaid him. currently 13th highest $$ DE in league

#1 - he is a very talented mental head case. high motor.

#2- he is an above average one trick pony rushing the QB.

#3- he is a lousy OLB.

#4- very rarely double team blocked.

#5- Bills overpaid him. currently 13th highest $$ DE in league

And the only guy on our team that consistently pressured the qb all season.

I like to refer to RR's defenses with the Jets, especially his #1 ranked D in 2010.

1. The front 3 were Ellis, Pouha, and DeVito. The Bills front 3 should be better with Washington/Bryant, Dareus, and KW.

While Dareus is not viewed as a true NT, he is similar in size as Pouha--and definitely better, and will require double teams.

2. The LBs were B.Thomas, Scott, Harris, and Pace. The Bills have S&M Lawson, Ragland, Brown, and Hughes.

To answer your question, Hughes is physically similar to Pace, and has the athleticism to do all that is expected of him in the Ryan D.

I personally think the #1 improvement for the D is the addition of Ragland in the middle. According to Whaley, he would've been their R1 draft pick, as Ryan needs a thumper in the middle. Manny Lawson will also be a very valuable cog in this D.

3. In the secondary, the Jets had Revis and Cromartie at CB, and Leonhard and Pool (who?) at safety. The Bills have Gilmore and Darby, and AWilliams and Graham.

With a year under his belt, Graham should improve significantly. The CBs are probably the key to RR's defense, and G&D are comparable to R&C.

Last year I was skeptical that Ryan would field a better D than Schwartz; however, I think the Bills now have the tools and commitment to run Ryan's D at a very high level. The Ryan twins should redeem themselves this year, and finish with a top 10 D. Despite a tougher schedule this year, I am becoming optimistic again....pass the Kool-Aid....

If you don't think Jerry is a straight baller your out ya damn mind.Most underrated player in the nfl.This dude shuts down practice.On a DL full of amazing talent he stands out.He will make plays in a 3-4,4-3,hand in the grass,two hands,standing,or two hands behind his back.Just because he wasn't a standout in indy don't mean a damn thang he's a straight killer now and when your that good it's not the scheme.

This is fact. His propensity for flags is annoying but he's an angry freak wrecking ball out there and fun to watch play.