2/3 of US would struggle to cover $1,000 crisis

Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Could you cover a $1,000 Emergency Expense

• Yes
    • No

Totally wrong? I'm sorry but there are plenty of !@#$ ups that were brought up by great parents. It's what you do with that upbringing and the choices you make along the way that determines the level of success you have.

Oh please, trying to make it seem like parenting doesn't matter is pathetic.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh please, trying to make it seem like parenting doesn't matter is pathetic.

Of course it having good parents helps. But are you here to tell me that you're going to blame the parents for a 40 year old who has failed miserably in life?

Good parenting gives you a start but once again it's what you do with it that matters.

Of course it having good parents helps. But are you here to tell me that you're going to blame the parents for a 40 year old who has failed miserably in life?

Good parenting gives you a start but once again it's what you do with it that matters.

What if he was a crack baby?

What if he was a crack baby?

I'm on record here many times saying I'm all for helping those with disabilities who cannot help themselves. If due to drug abuse during their mom's pregnancy they are disabled we should provide for them but studies in this area are flawed and oftentimes inconclusive. But good job pulling out an obscure situation. :thumbsup:

luck has much to do with it. there is not nearly as much upward economic mobility as most people believe. the economic strata you were born into will very, very likely be the highest strata you will obtain in your lifetime. that truth is only getting more evident with each passing year. the sperm (or womb) lottery is a really important predictor of ones financial and social destiny.

This is completely untrue:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/23/news/economy/wealthiest-americans-background-family/index.html?section=money_news_economy

About 77% of those surveyed said they grew up in the middle class or lower, including 19% who say they were poor. And they credit their success to three somewhat surprising factors: Hard work, ambition and family upbringing. Respondents even went so far as to say that these influences were much more important than "connections" or "innate talent."

"The points seem to be so traditional in nature," said Chris Heilmann, the chief fiduciary executive at U.S. Trust, Bank of America's private wealth management firm. "It's [about] deeply held family values rather than an inheritance or existing wealth,"

The survey was also a shout-out to strict parents. About 80% of respondents said their parents were firm disciplinarians. They also named "academic achievement," "financial discipline" and "work participation" as the family values that were most emphasized in their homes

luck has much to do with it. there is not nearly as much upward economic mobility as most people believe. the economic strata you were born into will very, very likely be the highest strata you will obtain in your lifetime. that truth is only getting more evident with each passing year. the sperm (or womb) lottery is a really important predictor of ones financial and social destiny.

While this could be true -- the absolute amount of people moving out of their strata -- the most important thing about the country and economy is not *whether* people do it, but that the *opportunity* exists to do so.

I'm on record here many times saying I'm all for helping those with disabilities who cannot help themselves. If due to drug abuse during their mom's pregnancy they are disabled we should provide for them but studies in this area are flawed and oftentimes inconclusive. But good job pulling out an obscure situation. :thumbsup:

child neglect and abuse are hardly obscure situations

Edited by Tiberius

You think child neglect and abuse are hardly obscure situations

This will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be the case. People will have good, very successful, parents. Other people will have terrible, very successful parents. Other people will have good, but not 'successful' parents and even others will have terrible, not successful parents. What should we do about that? How will regulating CEO pay help those kids?

This will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS be the case. People will have good, very successful, parents. Other people will have terrible, very successful parents. Other people will have good, but not 'successful' parents and even others will have terrible, not successful parents. What should we do about that? How will regulating CEO pay help those kids?

Good question! Here is a very general answer: Bobby's daddy is unemployed and has statred to hate himself so he drinks too much and ends up even more depressed and takes it out on the family. Bobby had a black eye yesterday from "running into the door."

But then Gatorman took control! He set up more a system where taxes rose moderately and jobs were created in all sorts of ways. Bobby's daddy got a job and the situation improved dramatically. Bobby now is on the honor role. The people love Gatorman

paying a living wage for their labor will help many of those kids when they get to working age. a sense of worth and value is perhaps the most important thing that can be provided. if the ceo's insist on billions in compensation yet pay a living wage, i'm ok with that too. but they won't.

Good question! Here is a very general answer: Bobby's daddy is unemployed and has statred to hate himself so he drinks too much and ends up even more depressed and takes it out on the family. Bobby had a black eye yesterday from "running into the door."

But then Gatorman took control! He set up more a system where taxes rose moderately and jobs were created in all sorts of ways. Bobby's daddy got a job and the situation improved dramatically. Bobby now is on the honor role. The people love Gatorman

Those are meaningless words without concrete examples. What system would you set up? What things would you implement that would raise taxes while creating new jobs? Specifics please.

paying a living wage for their labor will help many of those kids when they get to working age. a sense of worth and value is perhaps the most important thing that can be provided. if the ceo's insist on billions in compensation yet pay a living wage, i'm ok with that too. but they won't.

I'm as big of an anti-corruption guy as there is on this board, especially in terms of the big corporate conglomerates that have hijacked the US system on nearly every level. But isn't it fair to say you're generalizing by lumping every CEO together and proclaiming you know what they will or won't do? Isn't that just lazy?

sticker,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.jpg

Awesome! Sounds like things are great in Gatorland.

Edit: Damn, you guys move the goalposts around. How will capping CEO pay help anyone except the shareholders of those companies?

Edited by jjamie12

This is so wrong headed.

An unearned sense of worth and value is a horrible thing. Worth and value must be earned.

Having good parents is essential. Good decisions made by parents drastically change the sorts of decisions their children will have to make, and will set a standard of good decision making and hard work as a minimal standard.

It's inter-generational.

What job is Bobby's drunk dad gonna get?

Breaking rocks in the prison yard?

This is so wrong headed.

An unearned sense of worth and value is a horrible thing. Worth and value must be earned.

Having good parents is essential. Good decisions made by parents drastically change the sorts of decisions their children will have to make, and will set a standard of good decision making and hard work as a minimal standard.

It's inter-generational.

I made a parenting decision once and it was brilliant. My parenting decision was to not become one.

the sperm (or womb) lottery is a really important predictor of ones financial and social destiny.

Making any argument about the socio-economic concerns of minorities utterly irrelevant. No point having a Civil Rights Act if blacks are born destined to be poor and oppressed.

I would venture to guess that those with the victim mentality who don't hit the "sperm lottery" are much less likely to achieve financial success than those who don't subscribe to this sort of dogma.

I would venture to guess that those with the victim mentality who don't hit the "sperm lottery" are much less likely to achieve financial success than those who don't subscribe to this sort of dogma.

I want to figures on this! Where is the data!!

That's a joke of course :)