The Nattering Nabobs of Negativity

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed that the chasm between the extremes is growing by the day.

Maybe 5% of this board can be characterized with your above statement.

Another 5% can be characterized by saying that because they haven't made the playoffs in 16 years, everything about the team is horrible.

The other 90% think that the constant efforts by the 10% mentioned above to jab the other extremists drags the quality of the discussion on this board down.

It seems as though the week the Bills have just had, with the Shaq Lawson shoulder surgery and revelation of Watkins' foot surgery, led to a highly emotional few days. We all read what followed. Thankfully things are starting to die down.

Yeah because he shared the info so he could later be "congratulated" by some irrational hate spewing responder. :rolleyes:

Didn't you also make an ass of yourself in the thread where he informed us that Cordy Glenn had a kidney removed?........a year before that information came out?

Like it or not, this isn't your personal cheerleading forum and the rest of us actually appreciate inside information.

I used to get a lot more info like that here on this board but now I have to get it from the same people at the tailgates because nobody wants to deal with weirdos who attack them for sharing info.

Fun hiding behind a keyboard, isn't it? Shame on you. Keep bloating your own ego.

Did the Bills use a first round pick on a player with a medical question mark? They certainly did. So what? The issue that plagued him was an issue that was correctable by surgery. I'm sure Whaley felt that Lawson could get through the season and then the shoulder issue could be addressed. It didn't work out that way. He had the surgery and he will miss a good portion of the season.

When you make a high draft selection, or any selection for that matter, the priority issue shouldn't be how good is he going to be in his rookie year. The more important issue is what is the player's potential and how good is he going to be for you in the long run. Most draft analysts had Lawson pegged in the top ten range. If he turns out to be a good player a little later rather than sooner then it was not only a good selection but it was also smart selection in that we selected a player ranked higher than where he was selected.

Did the Bills use a first round pick on a player with a medical question mark? They certainly did. So what? The issue that plagued him was an issue that was correctable by surgery. I'm sure Whaley felt that Lawson could get through the season and then the shoulder issue could be addressed. It didn't work out that way. He had the surgery and he will miss a good portion of the season.

When you make a high draft selection, or any selection for that matter, the priority issue shouldn't be how good is he going to be in his rookie year. The more important issue is what is the player's potential and how good is he going to be for you in the long run. Most draft analysts had Lawson pegged in the top ten range. If he turns out to be a good player a little later rather than sooner then it was not only a good selection but it was also smart selection in that we selected a player ranked higher than where he was selected.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

It really is that simple.

Perfect way to look at the situation with a rational long view perspective. clap.gif

It really is that simple.

To put things in perspective all rookies have a development period before their level of proficiency is adequate enough to play on a regular basis. There is nothing unusual about that delayed time frame. Although Lawson is rehabbing from the surgery that doesn't mean that won't also be working on his game. It's simply part of the developmental rookie process.

On the Rex issue I will robustly get in the fray. But on the Lawson issue I just don't understand the commotion. In a lot of ways he getting the surgery now is a good thing because he is getting that health issue addressed sooner rather than later. As I said before taking a calculated risk on a talent is not a bad thing.

Those were supposed to be hands clapping in agreement.

I thought they were hands that were going to slap me in my unattractive face! :D

But but but but but but but but but but 16 YEARS

I've seen this line of thought and I've seen it lauded, but it's got a big problem. Injury and significant risk of a prospect missing time affect that prospect's value. That's the reason Jack and Smith, both more highly rated prospects than Lawson, fell to the second round. I used the words "delighted" and "ecstatic" when the Bills got Lawson at 19, but I would have wanted them to pass on him at that spot had I known about his injury. Lawson will miss all of training camp (except meetings and film), all of preseason and some of the regular season with this injury. What, exactly, should be expected of him when he gets back to practice sometime in October or November? He's going to need time to work himself into playing shape and learn. At this point I expect very little from him this season and, quite frankly, I'd be happy to see the Bills err on the side of caution and bring him along too slowly rather than too quickly.

In time he may very well be the player I expected him to be for the Bills - and I really, really hope that happens. But that doesn't mean the Bills should have used pick 19 on him. This season will not be productive for him due to this injury. One season is 25% of his relatively low wage rookie contract. For the Bills to take that risk is unacceptable. That's not on Lawson, it's on whomever made the decision to draft him at 19. And, believe it or not, I can root for Lawson to be a great player for the Bills and be happy if he becomes that, yet be critical of the team drafting an injured player 19th overall.