May Movies: Captain America, X-Men, Alice, & Neighbors 2...

Got to see X-Men before its release. I was a bit disappointed in it. It felt like a transition movie, to the new cast. There were some really nice moments, but overall it was just meh.

It does set up a really amazing story line with the scene after the credits.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to see X-Men before its release. I was a bit disappointed in it. It felt like a transition movie, to the new cast. There were some really nice moments, but overall it was just meh.

xxxlavalxxx?

Thx now I know to wait to DVD.

Haven't seen X-men, but It's disappointing to learn that audiences are giving it the same rating as BvS. I wish they would give joint rights to Marvel to fix the franchise, but it will never happen now.

Civil War is the best movie of the year so far... slightly better than Deadpool since It is more re-watchable.

Also, It only took Marvel 1 scene to fix Spiderman. And I approve of hot Aunt May.

Haven't seen X-men, but It's disappointing to learn that audiences are giving it the same rating as BvS. I wish they would give joint rights to Marvel to fix the franchise, but it will never happen now.

Civil War is the best movie of the year so far... slightly better than Deadpool since It is more re-watchable.

Also, It only took Marvel 1 scene to fix Spiderman. And I approve of hot Aunt May.

Generally speaking, I like what Bryan Singer has done with X-men. I thought Days of Futures Past was good/great. It was nice to have him directing in the franchise and setting things right again. And he also helped with First Class.

But for some reason, this just did not seem like a Singer film. Tons of CGI and some of it wasn't very good. And they had a lot of characters, because they are new actors, stories to introduce AS WELL as introduce Apocalypse. So it just felt like a transition film. Now, for an X-men geek like me, there is probably the best scene out of any of the movies in it. I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone but it was fantastic to see. And the ending after the credits, I seriously hope they are building towards what you get to see. It would make sense if they hint some more of it in the new Wolverine movie and slowly build toward it.

Generally speaking, I like what Bryan Singer has done with X-men. I thought Days of Futures Past was good/great. It was nice to have him directing in the franchise and setting things right again. And he also helped with First Class.

But for some reason, this just did not seem like a Singer film. Tons of CGI and some of it wasn't very good. And they had a lot of characters, because they are new actors, stories to introduce AS WELL as introduce Apocalypse. So it just felt like a transition film. Now, for an X-men geek like me, there is probably the best scene out of any of the movies in it. I wouldn't want to spoil it for anyone but it was fantastic to see. And the ending after the credits, I seriously hope they are building towards what you get to see. It would make sense if they hint some more of it in the new Wolverine movie and slowly build toward it.

Can they really tie in all that much given that Wolverine is going to be decades further into the future than the rest of the X-Men series? I also wonder if they'll ever be able to tie in Deadpool given that all of these movies are all over the place in time.

Re Civil War and Batman v Superman

I actually liked Batman v Superman more. Because it felt like it had some depth, and some real consequences involved. Marvel movies always feel like a light hearted adventure where nothing major is really going to happen, even when a serious moment happens, there's a joke right around the corner. Not that there's anything wrong with that, its a safe play, but its hard as a comic reader to have largely the same tone in every movie, even when its supposed to be 'serious'. I enjoyed Civil War quite a bit, it was a really fun movie, and stayed largely organized. I'll probably go see it again. But personally, I'm glad WB/DC has taken a different approach to their universe for their first couple of movies. Unfortunately, with backlash, I won't be surprised if they try to ramp up the humor/light heartedness, and basically carbon copy Marvel, simply because money is all that matters.

Re X-Men

I am not feeling it at all based on the trailers. Which is a shame because First Class and Days of Future Past are my two favorite X-Men films. They had some gravitas to them. I'm not entirely sold on Singer as the handler for the franchise. I think it fit, having him come back for DoFP, but I generally liked Vaughn's take in First Class more. Also, I'm historically a big fan of Apocalypse as a villain in X-Men media past, but the previews and style of him for this movie just look incredibly disappointing. That all being said, I'm going to go see it. I'm taking super low expectations in. I expect it'll largely be 'meh', but I'll still find McAvoy and Fassbender to be incredibly talented and perfect in their roles.

Edited by Dorkington

Can they really tie in all that much given that Wolverine is going to be decades further into the future than the rest of the X-Men series? I also wonder if they'll ever be able to tie in Deadpool given that all of these movies are all over the place in time.

Based on what happens after the credits, it's an easy tie-in. Or just something they can expand on in Wolverine.

Re X-Men

I am not feeling it at all based on the trailers. Which is a shame because First Class and Days of Future Past are my two favorite X-Men films. They had some gravitas to them. I'm not entirely sold on Singer as the handler for the franchise. I think it fit, having him come back for DoFP, but I generally liked Vaughn's take in First Class more. Also, I'm historically a big fan of Apocalypse as a villain in X-Men media past, but the previews and style of him for this movie just look incredibly disappointing. That all being said, I'm going to go see it. I'm taking super low expectations in. I expect it'll largely be 'meh', but I'll still find McAvoy and Fassbender to be incredibly talented and perfect in their roles.

But Singer was Exec Producing First Class, I could tell it had his hands on it even with Vaughn directing.

There will be one scene you'll definitely enjoy.

Re X-Men

I'm with you on this one. I'm guessing its because of releasing the movie so close to Civil War (which I hope to finally see this week), and maybe even Batman/Superman. It gets lost in the shuffle. It also looks like there's a ton of new characters but still focuses on the least interesting carry over from the first two movies, Mystique. She should not be the lead in any X-Men movie, but they wound up with Lawrence right before her career took off, so they have to run with it. And it's funny that you mention how good McAvoy and Fassbender have been for the roles, because they haven't been used at all in the trailers.

I'm with you on this one. I'm guessing its because of releasing the movie so close to Civil War (which I hope to finally see this week), and maybe even Batman/Superman. It gets lost in the shuffle. It also looks like there's a ton of new characters but still focuses on the least interesting carry over from the first two movies, Mystique. She should not be the lead in any X-Men movie, but they wound up with Lawrence right before her career took off, so they have to run with it. And it's funny that you mention how good McAvoy and Fassbender have been for the roles, because they haven't been used at all in the trailers.

I do find that annoying, that Mystique is a lead character is just odd. She should have been prominent in Days of Future past because she was in the comics but the carry over to Apocalypse is a bit odd. And like you, I think they are keeping her around because of Jennifer Lawrence. She's not an original and they keep going between her being good and bad.

I do find that annoying, that Mystique is a lead character is just odd. She should have been prominent in Days of Future past because she was in the comics but the carry over to Apocalypse is a bit odd. And like you, I think they are keeping her around because of Jennifer Lawrence. She's not an original and they keep going between her being good and bad.

Feel free to call it a spoiler just in case anyone cares. Speaking of Mystique, I see that Nightcrawler is in this one. Was there any mentioning of his parents?

Feel free to call it a spoiler just in case anyone cares. Speaking of Mystique, I see that Nightcrawler is in this one. Was there any mentioning of his parents?

No, it's actually Mystique who finds him. It was really odd.

No, it's actually Mystique who finds him. It was really odd.

That's a shame. They could have done something with it (like they apparently have with Quicksilver according to the trailer). They had both Mystique and Azazel on the same side after the first movie, so there could have been a fling there at some point.

I finally got around to seeing Civil War yesterday. It was well done as usual for them. In my mind that was was what Avengers 2 should have been. I didn't think much of them doing a Black Panther movie, but this one made me look forward to that. It was also a rare case where they actually handled the character overload really well. The airport scene highlighted everyone really well.

I just wonder where they go from here. I know Strange is next, but where does the all encompassing story go now?

not a bad movie, that xmen one. just not a great one. kind of fun, but no where near cap'n murika.

some said it was like a set up movie to the next one. ican see that but what it is setting up i do not know. love the wolverine part. saw it coming a mile away though.

I finally got around to seeing Civil War yesterday. It was well done as usual for them. In my mind that was was what Avengers 2 should have been. I didn't think much of them doing a Black Panther movie, but this one made me look forward to that. It was also a rare case where they actually handled the character overload really well. The airport scene highlighted everyone really well.

I just wonder where they go from here. I know Strange is next, but where does the all encompassing story go now?

As far as the movies go, it'll be: "Doctor Strange", "Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2", "Spider-Man: Homecoming", "Thor: Ragnarok", & "The Avengers: Infinity Wars" Part 1 & 2.

I don't know if Guardians will be a part of this, but I added them to the timeline anyway.