Anyone watch Little Girl Blue(Janis Joplin doc on PBS)

it was on American Masters last night. Wow, what a great show, some great footage, great insight into a pretty tortured soul. She was just an amazing singer and was able to emote that power in her songs. If you get a chance to see it it is well worth the 2 hours of time. Narrated by Cat Power who does a very good job as well, you almost think it's Janis speaking. Pretty cool to see the members of Big Brother, Kozmic Blues and Full Tilt, also cool to see Kris Kristopherson talk about Bobbi McGee song.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/janis-joplin-pbs-little-girl-blue-171302320.html

it was on American Masters last night. Wow, what a great show, some great footage, great insight into a pretty tortured soul. She was just an amazing singer and was able to emote that power in her songs. If you get a chance to see it it is well worth the 2 hours of time. Narrated by Cat Power who does a very good job as well, you almost think it's Janis speaking. Pretty cool to see the members of Big Brother, Kozmic Blues and Full Tilt, also cool to see Kris Kristopherson talk about Bobbi McGee song.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/janis-joplin-pbs-little-girl-blue-171302320.html

I have not seen it but will check it out. Her performance at Monterey was amazing. That was a breakthrough event. It was her and Jimi's debuts and they stole the show. The core performers got together and made calls to invite groups. When they called the Beatles Paul said they couldn't because they were in the studio. He said you do need to get this guy who's been tearing it up here in England. His name is Jimi Hendrix. No one knew who he was. That would change.

Wish I was aware, I will check it out. Thanks Pooj.

Just check your local PBS, it will be on 100 times in the next few weeks. I have it recorded, have not watched yet.

And i think PBS puts 100% of their shows on line

Just check your local PBS, it will be on 100 times in the next few weeks. I have it recorded, have not watched yet.

And i think PBS puts 100% of their shows on line

Me too. Limiting me is that I have a 9 year old daughter. I had introduced her to Janis's music a bit, but I don't think I want her to meet Janis the person until she is older. I'll have to watch after my daughter goes to be d for the night.

Me too. Limiting me is that I have a 9 year old daughter. I had introduced her to Janis's music a bit, but I don't think I want her to meet Janis the person until she is older. I'll have to watch after my daughter goes to be d for the night.

I don't know how detailed the documentary goes into Janis' lifestyle but I don't imagine it's going to show her getting drunk or shooting up. I commend you on wanting to introduce your young kid to one of the best performers of an area loaded (no pun intended, at least I don't think) with great performers.

I don't know how detailed the documentary goes into Janis' lifestyle but I don't imagine it's going to show her getting drunk or shooting up. I commend you on wanting to introduce your young kid to one of the best performers of an area loaded (no pun intended, at least I don't think) with great performers.

The still shots for the show have Janis smoking and holding bottle of some type. I am as concerned with her tragically low self-esteem, promiscuity etc.. I just don't know what is going to come up. If anyone has already watched it, let me know. I would love to watch with my daughter, but there are too many red flags to jump in blindly.

The still shots for the show have Janis smoking and holding bottle of some type. I am as concerned with her tragically low self-esteem, promiscuity etc.. I just don't know what is going to come up. If anyone has already watched it, let me know. I would love to watch with my daughter, but there are too many red flags to jump in blindly.

This is a "must see" film for any Janis or sixties San Francisco culture and music fan. It paints a picture of an eclectic point in time. Five stars from me.

Jerry Garcia might have smoked a doob, I was not paying attention. :oops:

I did not see anything in the documentary to stop me from watching this with a "mature" 10 year old (I have 4 children and 8 grandchildren LOL). It depends on your 10 year old, and how you communicate with her. It is on the edge.

Look at what is in theaters and prime time television today that children watch!!

The movie showed Joplin's emotional insecurities, unsupported family background, extreme need to be accepted for herself, and how the booze and drugs ultimately destroyed her,

There were a few very brief / incidental "nude" images, that were not the center of the program, but they were shadowed at the strategic spots. It was anti-drug if anything and pointed out that Janis seemed happier when she briefly cleaned up. Some good insight from her peers into what drove her to be "Janis".

If anything a 10 year old might be bored. I watched some of it with my 20 year old granddaughter; she was tired and went to bed!

Superman v. Batman was more hard core than this movie.

You're shielding your daughter from someone smoking and drinking? Keep in mind this is coming from someone with no kids (so maybe it's a good think, I don't know) but keeping the realities of life away from your child is not a good thing.

You're shielding your daughter from someone smoking and drinking? Keep in mind this is coming from someone with no kids (so maybe it's a good think, I don't know) but keeping the realities of life away from your child is not a good thing.

No, we're pretty open with our daughter and way ahead of the curve talking about sex, death, alcohol etc. (less about drugs, but it comes up sometimes).

My real dilemma is that I love love love Janis, and want to watch the full thing, intently. That probably means watching as my daughter does homework (or after she goes to bed). I am comfortable watching shows with these topics with her when we stop and talk if I can she she is "processing." In this case, 1) I don't want to watch my daughter so closely 2) she will be watching passively and likely not speak up about what she sees. I am worried she is going to see someone with a lot of "red flags" and that her dad thinks it is great. While I probably would do this, and circle back with my daughter afterwards if I was a single dad, the extra layer of my wife reacting and potentially questioning my management of the situation is just too much overhead. It would be easier to just wait.