RD 4, Pick 139: QB Cardale Jones, Ohio State

Already stated by Whaley and company after the draft. They know that Cardale is too green to be the #2 back QB is 2016. They are on the record with EJ being the #2 and it makes since given his guaranteed salary and Cardale's lack of readiness with such limited CFB experience.

QB Jones wont alter EJs spot on depth chart in 2016

I do not believe such statements should be taken at face value. That might have been the ostensible plan as of the day of the draft, but plans change all the time and Whaley knows that. I think it's likely Whaley is just trying to deflect expectations and pressure from Cardale. Don't forget, it's not Whaley's job to decide who dresses on game day or who is the backup. And of course, Whaley has a long and embarrassing history of trying to prop up EJ (whom he foolishly drafted in the first round), sometimes against the wishes of the coaching staff. If Cardale progresses quickly, and EJ continues to be EJ, there is every possibility that Cardale wins the backup job sometime this season.

• Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football intelligence. Aren't legitimate scouts questioning it?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/cardale-jones?id=2555426

That might be why.

Funny, I read that entire profile and didn't see a word that called into question Cardale's "football intelligence", much less his innate brainpower, which is what many posters have called out--again, without any evidence. The profile makes the point that Cardale has little starting experience (although I think that's overblown) and makes mistakes that go along with that lack of experience, but I saw nothing there that would make one question his "football intelligence." Making bad in-game decisions is the hallmark of plenty of very bright quarterbacks, including at least one who graduated from Harvard 😜 Edited by mannc

I do not believe such statements should be taken at face value. That might have been the ostensible plan as of the day of the draft, but plans change all the time and Whaley knows that. I think it's likely Whaley is just trying to deflect expectations and pressure from Cardale. Don't forget, it's not Whaley's job to decide who dresses on game day or who is the backup. And of course, Whaley has a long and embarrassing history of trying to prop up EJ (whom he foolishly drafted in the first round), sometimes against the wishes of the coaching staff. If Cardale progresses quickly, and EJ continues to be EJ, there is every possibility that Cardale wins the backup job sometime this season.

You are required to believe if you choose not to. To set the record straight once again, Bills' GM Buddy Nix drafted EJ Manuel. If you think it's very possible that a raw rookie QB with 11 games of CFB experience will be the # 2 QB, knock yourself out. It could happen, but I doubt it.

You are required to believe if you choose not to. To set the record straight once again, Bills' GM Buddy Nix drafted EJ Manuel. If you think it's very possible that a raw rookie QB with 11 games of CFB experience will be the # 2 QB, knock yourself out. It could happen, but I doubt it.

And if you want to keep believing Whaley wasn't behind the EJ pick, knock yourself out. I'm not saying Jones will start the season as the backup, but I think there's a very good chance it happens sometime this year, and that he sees the field. It is not a given, as some suppose, that he's just going to be red-shirted for the year.

And if you want to keep believing Whaley wasn't behind the EJ pick, knock yourself out. I'm not saying Jones will start the season as the backup, but I think there's a very good chance it happens sometime this year, and that he sees the field. It is not a given, as some suppose, that he's just going to be red-shirted for the year.

Good job by Whaley for drafting Cordy Glenn and Robert Woods too. Buddy who? Think whatever you want with regard to Cardale and who cares what the team has said for the record.. :rolleyes:

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Of course. But I have a problem when posters just come in and make statements like "Cardale sucks. He's a wasted pick" without offering anything to back it up. It adds nothing to the board, IMO. And with Cardale, there seem to also be a lot of posters who question his intelligence, even though all the evidence I've seen and heard is to the contrary. (Not saying Wagon Circler did this.). And Aaron, thanks for adding some perspective.

I have read both sides in regard to Jones.

At least Wagon Circler does not mince his words !!

I don't know if this point has already been made so forgive me if it has. Last year EJ started the season as our #3. Cassel was eventually cut with the reason that EJ can better develop as the #2. I wonder if that same approach could be used for Cardale depending on how he does in camp and pre-season.

Bills have since said it was a 3 way battle and that was a problem actually. But they had no choice.

This was more recently spoken by Rex

I have to side with you on this one !

Politics is at play. It has to be.

But i think if all went according to plan, Cardale remains the third and patience is the mantra.

Until some one slips on a mat :ph34r:

I have read both sides in regard to Jones.

At least Wagon Circler does not mince his words !!

Bills have since said it was a 3 way battle and that was a problem actually. But they had no choice.

This was more recently spoken by Rex

I have to side with you on this one !

Politics is at play. It has to be.

But i think if all went according to plan, Cardale remains the third and patience is the mantra.

Until some one slips on a mat :ph34r:

Politics? Doubt it. Whaley is a pretty straight shooter it seems to me. He laid out the offseason plan of retaining Glenn and Incognito with them picking up 2nd tier free agents. They executed that plan just as advertised. Now he lays out a plan for the QBs when it comes to the roster that makes sense from the POV of both experience and economics, but it's politics? Again, I seriously doubt this.

Politics? Doubt it. Whaley is a pretty straight shooter it seems to me. He laid out the offseason plan of retaining Glenn and Incognito with them picking up 2nd tier free agents. They executed that plan just as advertised. Now he lays out a plan for the QBs when it comes to the roster that makes sense from the POV of both experience and economics, but it's politics? Again, I seriously doubt this.

Maybe you misunderstand my meaning 26 , Lol.

I mean that IS the plan, worded carefully in a thoughtfully constructed message. I do not mean it's BS.

Political does not always mean evil smokescreen.

But that does not confine the Bills from getting him up to speed as quickly as possible while no one is looking. Haha!

Maybe you misunderstand my meaning 26 , Lol.

I mean that IS the plan, worded carefully in a thoughtfully constructed message. I do not mean it's BS.

Political does not always mean evil smokescreen.

But that does not confine the Bills from getting him up to speed as quickly as possible while no one is looking. Haha!

Never say never, but with a guy as green as Cardale I really doubt it. Cardale is blessed with physical attributes that just about any QB would kill for, but he has so much to do and learn before he'll be NFL ready as even a primary back up IMO. I do not see it happening in 2016.

Never say never, but with a guy as green as Cardale I really doubt it. Cardale is blessed with physical attributes that just about any QB would kill for, but he has so much to do and learn before he'll be NFL ready as even a primary back up IMO. I do not see it happening in 2016.

On that I agree 95%

But as to what Whaley says , he has to walk a fine line mostly.

I have never known him to outright BS us. But covers his bases when making these statements. He is very very good at that, and i respect his skill set.

I get a kick out of watching him honestly !

Interesting contrast between him and Rex !!

http://deadspin.com/connor-cooks-dad-seems-to-be-a-big-****head-1775008134

Interesting point about parents being looked at with regard to QBs. From what i understand, some teams were worried about Manziel because of his "grifter" parents. I'm not saying that caused Manziel to be who he is, but when investing millions, you gotta be careful. Cook's dad sounds like a real piece of work.

Interesting point about parents being looked at with regard to QBs. From what i understand, some teams were worried about Manziel because of his "grifter" parents. I'm not saying that caused Manziel to be who he is, but when investing millions, you gotta be careful. Cook's dad sounds like a real piece of work.

i was just reading about Mr. cook last night. Wow. Also, his mom had done something similar going off on a draft analyst who criticized cook. Can't remember the specifics.

@OptimumScouting

"Parental influences have impacted how those at MSU and others in the process view him for the future."- Connor Cook

Chx8SHaWsAEtHtN.jpg

@OptimumScouting

"Parental influences have impacted how those at MSU and others in the process view him for the future."- Connor Cook

Chx8SHaWsAEtHtN.jpg

I was anxious to see what might come out about Cook after the draft, because I think he looks great on the field. Well, I can understand now. I still think he can have a successful career, but it's gonna take some beatings, humiliation, and probably some locker room wedgies.

Jeff George had the same kind of rep that Cook has now... entitlement, arrogance, chemistry issues. That's what I thought of when I read what Cook was about.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2000/apr/24/20000424-011118-1504r/?page=all

Except George had about 10x the talent Cook has.

The best thing to happen to Cook is that he went to a team that doesn't need a starter. Maybe he'll learn some humility, for his own sake.

The best thing to happen to Cook is that he went to a team that doesn't need a starter. Maybe he'll learn some humility, for his own sake.

Of course... but when I read it, that's immediately who I thought of. By the time he grows up and figures out the real world, it may be too late.

Jeff George in summary: Million Dollar Arm, ten cents head.

Funny, I read that entire profile and didn't see a word that called into question Cardale's "football intelligence", much less his innate brainpower, which is what many posters have called out--again, without any evidence. The profile makes the point that Cardale has little starting experience (although I think that's overblown) and makes mistakes that go along with that lack of experience, but I saw nothing there that would make one question his "football intelligence." Making bad in-game decisions is the hallmark of plenty of very bright quarterbacks, including at least one who graduated from Harvard 😜

"issues reading and reacting to zone coverage underneath. Doesn't hold safeties with his eyes."

Anybody who reads that about a QB who started one year and got benched the next is going to question his football intelligence.

Why are you acting like this is a big mystery? You think people are just out to get him?

"issues reading and reacting to zone coverage underneath. Doesn't hold safeties with his eyes."

Anybody who reads that about a QB who started one year and got benched the next is going to question his football intelligence.

Why are you acting like this is a big mystery? You think people are just out to get him?

That would be someone who has done shallow or no research to understand the difference between OSU using more of a pro style offense in 2014 that suited the kind of player he is vs. what they did in 2015.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz