Why The Bills Should Draft Offense

Chilly

Really great article by Kevin Massare here:

Buffalo Bills Drafting Offense – The Great Debate

In that article, he makes the case that the Bills should go offense at #19. I'll admit, I didn't realize how much I actually liked our starting front-7 until I sat down and reviewed it. It's a lot stronger than I *thought* it would be. We definitely have some depth to fill in, but I don't think it's as bad as we all assume it is when we think defense is a given.

#2 WR might be the biggest hole on the team. Robert Woods isn't good enough (but a darn good slot receiver), and he's our best option. We have to replace the production of Harvin/Hogan, and we don't have a great talent to do it. I do like Hankerson, but he's an ideal #4 WR, not a #2.

I'm becoming a fan of a potential trade back, as there will likely be multiple good WR options at #19, grabbing an extra pick for depth, and then going WR/NT in the draft. If I look at our starters, the biggest holes are WR, RT, DL. Let's get two of those in the first two rounds to really make this team stronger.

BTW, in case you guys don't read the article, Matt Miller is reporting that the latest draft buzz is the Bills going WR in round 1.

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/723725773513756672

Edited by Chilly

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on the "I won't cry about a WR at 19" train for a month or so now. Jack is still my dream get, and while I like a lot of the talent on DL and LB in this draft I do think a WR early could have an instant impact on this offense.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see the Bills go this direction -- though hopefully with a trade back first to grab some more picks in round 2.

Treadwell wouldn't make me throw anything at the TV.

I will throw something half way at the TV.

I realize the Kid is solid as heck. But I am not fan at 19

I also think the Offense is not far off from being very good

If Treadwell is there and the top DL and LB's are gone then sure why not. No excuses for Tyrod or Sammy at that point. We would have the best 1-2 WR duo in the AFC East and one of the top in all of the AFC really

(Amendola and Edleman are both #2's and I think Decker for the Jets sucks and is completely overrated)

If Treadwell is there and the top DL and LB's are gone then sure why not. No excuses for Tyrod or Sammy at that point. We would have the best 1-2 WR duo in the AFC East and one of the top in all of the AFC really

I guess I like Marshall and Decker a bit more than Sammy and a rookie (at least in his first year), but if that happens and Woods can play more of a traditional slot role, then I'd argue they'd have potentially the best trio of WRs in the division.

I guess I like Marshall and Decker a bit more than Sammy and a rookie (at least in his first year), but if that happens and Woods can play more of a traditional slot role, then I'd argue they'd have potentially the best trio of WRs in the division.

Can Treadwell play the spot opposite Sammy ?

Thats is my only hang up on him. He does everything well but speed to get over

I would not mind Treadwell or a few other wrs. Sports science did some good work on them.

I'd rather go hunter henry in the second with lee in the first. Go back for Willie henry in the 3rd unless cravens some how slips

Wouldn't say no to a WR at 19 but it would have to be on the proviso that they open up the passing game more than Greg Roman has ever done. You throw that valuable a resource at a problem, you'd better have a plan for it to be the solution.

Doctson would be more fun. Great ball tracker, massive catch radius, vertically superior to everyone in the class. I also know a bunch of Vikings fans that want him and I want to ruin their night on Thursday.

Treadwell would be a sounder pick. Contributes on every play because of his tremendous run blocking.

A guy that i think might be really intriguing to the bills is Braxton Miller.......who is a lot like Percy Harvin.....and the bills loved Percy minus the injuries

Probably a 3rd round guy....

He will be gone possibly even before we pick in the 2nd. Definitely before our 3rd pick

Wouldn't say no to a WR at 19 but it would have to be on the proviso that they open up the passing game more than Greg Roman has ever done. You throw that valuable a resource at a problem, you'd better have a plan for it to be the solution.

Doctson would be more fun. Great ball tracker, massive catch radius, vertically superior to everyone in the class. I also know a bunch of Vikings fans that want him and I want to ruin their night on Thursday.

Treadwell would be a sounder pick. Contributes on every play because of his tremendous run blocking.

I would not be happy with a receiver at #19. Treadwell is the only one I have given a first round grade to. I think Doctson might have the highest ceiling in this draft and I love his potential but he is too big a gamble for me at #19.

If all the receivers are there at 19 though that gives us slide back options. Washington at #21, Houston at #22, Minnesota at #23 and Cincinnati at #24 are all possible receiver drafters. Cincy rarely move anywhere in the draft but if Houston or Minnesota have one guy way ahead of the others then the Bills could slide back a few spots pick up at least a third rounder and let them make sure they have a shot at their guy.

EDIT: The only offensive guy I'd want at #19 is Taylor Decker.

Edited by GunnerBill

The Bills lost Mario & Bradham remember.

I don't understand why people on one hand say "we lost Mario, we have to replace him with a high pick", yet on the other hand say how crappy he played. If he played terribly, then having a journeyman replace him shouldn't be a loss. I think he played crappy, and there is no urgency to use a high pick on his replacement.

I think linebackers are more import in Wrex's defense, and would prefer they concentrated on getting some quality at that position.

I don't understand why people on one hand say "we lost Mario, we have to replace him with a high pick", yet on the other hand say how crappy he played. If he played terribly, then having a journeyman replace him shouldn't be a loss. I think he played crappy, and there is no urgency to use a high pick on his replacement.

I think linebackers are more import in Wrex's defense, and would prefer they concentrated on getting some quality at that position.

The fact that Mario played poorly was one of the reasons why we went from a top 5 defense to about 20th. We need to not just replace him but do better than what he did

The fact that Mario played poorly was one of the reasons why we went from a top 5 defense to about 20th. We need to not just replace him but do better than what he did

I agree, but all indications are that the D-line isn't the focus of Wrex's defense (a big reason why Williams shut down last season), so why dedicate top picks to a position that isn't as important as LB or even Safety (both weaknesses on this team), in this defense?

Edited by HoF Watkins