Rex simplifying defense

Dumb it down for these mental giants. This game gets more complex as players get dumber. How does someone make it all the way through college and be unable to perform their job? Last time I checked, no boss I have ever had dumbed down jobs to appease the morons in the office.

It's a fair point, but I don't blame Rex or the players for this one. The Bills had a borderline championship-caliber defense. Whaley brought in Ryan despite the fact that his defense is a 180 compared to what we had. It's not surprising that the team did a 180 in its first year learning the scheme, and less surprising that he's going to dumb it down so the players can catch on. Learn to shoot a hoop before attempting a slam dunk.

I'm doing it right now for a new hire I manage. I have to in order for him/me/us to succeed.

Curious, is this because the company is cheap and won't spend for a qualified candidate (90% of U.S companies), or is he the best candidate they could have hired?

Edited by Felonious Monk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious, is this because the company is cheap and won't spend for a qualified candidate (90% of U.S companies), or is he the best candidate they could have hired?

Totally fair question. Best candidate we could have hired. But that's because the nature of the work outpaces the pay for the position's level.

So we had to find someone within a sweet spot of acceptably low skills combined with nontraditional professional goals for the field.

good, hard to play instinctively when your too busy thinking.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

This defense played a great game against the pats near the end of the season. That wasn't "dumbed down", it was well called and executed on the road against a great team and division rival.

It also showed the effectiveness of dropping a big boy in Brady's passing lanes to take away the quick throw, which is the correct call (mario) when he's releasing the ball in 2 seconds and therefore impossible to sack or even pressure.

The only thing Rex needs to change is the speed of the sideline calls, on both sides of the ball. Need maximum time out there for pre snap adjustments.

good, hard to play instinctively when your too busy thinking.

Yes for some thinking and playing at same time do not go together:

Any Give Sunday: When I'm talking about defense, you're dumb enough, we made it simple.

The only thing Rex needs to change is the speed of the sideline calls, on both sides of the ball. Need maximum time out there for pre snap adjustments.

That was the issue with defense told to sit during training camp because offense line needed time to gel on track - the defense and the defense callers took too long to get into rhythm when they should have been refining calls and practicing substitution and making line calls in real time.

Well, we know where your mind is. :)

I over think things.

when i learned to just rely on my training i found myself much more efficient.

I mean back when i was into some martial arts.

but it applies to everything thing in life. When you know your task it becomes second nature. and then you are able to build off of that , and expand your game? The sky is the limit.

or my mind just rolls around in the gutter. it is surely one of those things

:rolleyes:

I over think things.

when i learned to just rely on my training i found myself much more efficient.

I mean back when i was into some martial arts.

but it applies to everything thing in life. When you know your task it becomes second nature. and then you are able to build off of that , and expand your game? The sky is the limit.

or my mind just rolls around in the gutter. it is surely one of those things

:rolleyes:

Don't limit yourself. It can be both of those things.

Dumb it down for these mental giants. This game gets more complex as players get dumber. How does someone make it all the way through college and be unable to perform their job? Last time I checked, no boss I have ever had dumbed down jobs to appease the morons in the office.

Because most have a tailored schedule, easy courses, and boosters to help them. They have a piece of paper but no true education.

Should have done that last season and go from there.

Sucks we need to simplify the defense. Should never need to happen, this just makes offenses more dangerous since Rex can't do everything he needs. We seriously have a few dumbass players that are holding us down. We got rid of one dirtbag idiot in Mario.

Don't limit yourself. It can be both of those things.

Thanks, advice well taken

:lol:

: )

Sucks we need to simplify the defense. Should never need to happen, this just makes offenses more dangerous since Rex can't do everything he needs. We seriously have a few dumbass players that are holding us down. We got rid of one dirtbag idiot in Mario.

I would imagine Rex wants to get them off and running. Last year was embarrassing.

But i would also bet he will be adding layers of complexity once the players have mastered the task at hand.

Think that is what most good teachers do.

and part of this is a fluff piece to show the world that Ryan is flexible in his Coaching "to the players"