A.J. Tarpley retires due to concussions

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing that even with the non team affiliated doctors monitoring players for concussions, players are still in there after having one...

Why is that amazing? There is no specific test for concussion recovery. It's based on symptoms reported by the player for the most part.

They will lie to stay on the roster. To this day they still do so....

This may be a stupid question so I apologize but I heard someone on the radio say that he thought getting rid of helmets would reduce the number of concussions as players would be more conscience about using their heads when tacking/hitting.

What do you all think?

Was this guy being serious?

CBF

This may be a stupid question so I apologize but I heard someone on the radio say that he thought getting rid of helmets would reduce the number of concussions as players would be more conscience about using their heads when tacking/hitting.

What do you all think?

CBF

On of the silliest ideas that keeps getting mentioned here. Even as an intuitive concept, it's dubious.

Guys would still get hit in the head. CTE is an accumulated life of thousands of small insults to the brain.

What do you all think?

CBF

Talk to Rugby players about getting concussions. They are supposedly taught how to tackle properly and they still get quite a few concussions. With tackle anything you can't control someones arm, leg or foot or something else from randomly connecting to the head.

Look at the article by Tarpley, even he said his 4th concussion was caused by his own teammate who got knocked into him.

Talk to Rugby players about getting concussions. They are supposedly taught how to tackle properly and they still get quite a few concussions. With tackle anything you can't control someones arm, leg or foot or something else from randomly connecting to the head.

Look at the article by Tarpley, even he said his 4th concussion was caused by his own teammate who got knocked into him.

I think this is a perfect point and I agree 100%

CBF

The NFL could still do with learning tackling technique from rugby though. The CBA that limits tackling contact in practice does not help.

Its not just teaching techniques, although you are 110% correct that the best methods should be entrenched into the coaching mantra from pop warner on up.

But enforcing this thinking as muscle memory so it becomes instinctive. NFL would do well to offer more time devoted to tackling tech

The NFL could still do with learning tackling technique from rugby though. The CBA that limits tackling contact in practice does not help.

I definitely agree with that.

Been saying since new contract that it hurts player development. The NFLPA also does not protect the players from those who deliberately hurt other players but refusing to support the appeals of players who act like this.