Paris...

Spun

No. You sound like an azz with that. Their culture is different. Deal with it.

Tipping in most of Europe is frowned upon.

Just look at the friggin' check. They get paid a lot.

Oh! The indignity of having extra money! Such wasteful, stupid Americans just giving their money away!

:-P

Do they refund the tip on your card? Or if you are paying cash, run down the street chasing you while shouting: "Wait! You over paid!"

The culture really has to do with the attitude that all assistance has to come from the government. It gives the average citizen the freedom to ignore people who need help. So to them, If you leave a tip, they think you're implying they're not making enough money

Europeans would be appalled at the amount of charity the average American donates. They're also surprised at the amount of people asking them if they're okay when they trip, or return a dropped item back. Now reverse the perspective and see what they think when you act "normal"...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The culture really has to do with the attitude that all assistance has to come from the government. It gives the average citizen the freedom to ignore people who need help. So to them, If you leave a tip, they think you're implying they're not making enough money

Europeans would be appalled at the amount of charity the average American donates. They're also surprised at the amount of people asking them if they're okay when they trip, or return a dropped item back. Now reverse the perspective and see what they think when you act "normal"...

Exactly. You said it right. The world isn't American. There are lots of different cultures and beliefs "out there". And that's a large part of our USA-centric thinking and belief system. Works well here. Well, it has for a long time, but in some other places... not so much.

For my first trip ever to Europe, I will be spending a week in Paris. Any recommendations, tips etc. please.

A few years ago, I had planned to go to Berlin to see the Sabres play. Then last Fall, I had planned to go to London to see the Bills play. Both trips didn't happen. So I got a little angry and committed to going across the pond. Finally.

I do plan to visit Versailles and Normandy. Some tour guides are helpful but there always some places that don't make into to the guides.

I will arrive at de Gaulle airport and I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency at 3, Place de Koenig which looks to be in the 8th arrondisement.

I know there are a lot of resourceful people that use this site so any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

Why do you want to go to France? The French are a**holes.

Been to France many times and strongly disagree

Ditto.

Parisians are definitely the most likely to be snobs but they are mostly just a more private people. I studied up on my French phrases and often interacted in stores only or mostly in French. People appreciated it and worked with me, and if I was a mess, they'd all switch to English. Never had an issue.

I walked all over at night so don't listen to the poster who said don't walk at night. It's like a big city anywhere: Keep your head on straight and you'll be fine.

L'Orangerie, Louvre, Rodin, Musee de Orsay are among the best museums in the world. If you're into that sort of thing, do it. If you're not, get a tour and do it to appreciate it.

Don't listen to these people talking about the subway. Walk everywhere or rent the bikes from the rent and return places.

Eat like the french. Go to the local places and fumble with the language--you'll be rewarded with the best food.

Drink wine. Lots of it.

I did go to Giverny, Monet's home. Took a train and then rented a bike at the train station and rode 5 miles through the countryside to his town. Stayed the night there. As one person said, there are no original Monet's, but as far as beautiful places and charming towns go, Giverny is hard to beat.

Of course you'll do the tourist stuff like Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. Definitely do those. Got to get the pictures.

Have a great time.

No. You sound like an azz with that. Their culture is different. Deal with it.

Tipping in most of Europe is frowned upon.

Just look at the friggin' check. They get paid a lot.

Sure, I understand... But will they give you the money back if you tip?

I understand that... They feel indignant.

I can respect it, if they give the $$ back. I understand it is their culture.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Another thing just thought of. I know everyone says do not have a nap the day you arrive, i think that is hogwash. Go get settled in, go get lunch, then have no more than a 90 minute nap. Makes it much easier to stay up till 11pm, and next day voila! no jet lag!

First time there, we did the 2 hour FatTire bike tour that leaves from close to the Eifel Tower...perfect way to get acclimated first day and get your blood moving after that nap. Highly recommend.

http://www.fattiretours.com/

Don't listen to these people talking about the subway. Walk everywhere or rent the bikes from the rent and return places.

The comment about the transit was to save time in getting around. If you do rent a bike from the Velib, make sure you have a card with the chip in it. Kiosk won't work without.

The comment about the transit was to save time in getting around. If you do rent a bike from the Velib, make sure you have a card with the chip in it. Kiosk won't work without.

Is this the new cc's w/chip? Last year when my son went to Germany, they said they were enabling the chip readers earlier than here and that a chip card would be better.

My bank this month finally issued me one... :-/ After numerous data breachs and numerous reissue of cards!

Is this the new cc's w/chip? Last year when my son went to Germany, they said they were enabling the chip readers earlier than here and that a chip card would be better.

My bank this month finally issued me one... :-/ After numerous data breachs and numerous reissue of cards!

Last time we were there a couple years back, was not enough to have a chip on the card, you also needed a pin. As Bud said earlier, automated things like parking garages etc required a pin along with the card. We thought cause we had the chip would be okay...but we were ever so wrong!!!!

So, if you go, make sure you have a card with a pin number.

Last time we were there a couple years back, was not enough to have a chip on the card, you also needed a pin. As Bud said earlier, automated things like parking garages etc required a pin along with the card. We thought cause we had the chip would be okay...but we were ever so wrong!!!!

So, if you go, make sure you have a card with a pin number.

Yep! That's it... I remember his Latin teacher telling us that. On a debit card, everbody knows their pin, usually... I would hope. But, on a credit card, not so much. I have the pins, but never changed them (can you change them on a credit card?). I think here the only time you need to use your pin on a credit card is when you take a cash advance out on that line of credit, right? Most of the time, credit is just signed for and debit is pin. Some pay at pumps will ask you for a billing zip code on a credit transaction.

Anyway... They need to make it uniform in this country... Like Europe. Especially w/all the auto pay machines/kiosks. I suspect it was fee driven here, why the choice. At one time my bank would charge me the $.25 transaction fee if debit/pin was selected. If credit was selected and it went through the clearing house... No fee, instead fee was passed on to the merchant. Those fees on customer pin has since been eliminated (@ least at my banks)... So I use a debit transaction all the time instead of credit and signature (where sig is available).

FWIW from my observation through the years.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Been to France many times and strongly disagree

If you act like the French, it doesn't seem rude.

For example, lines are a suggestion. If you get in a line, you better be prepared to fight for your turn because it's just a game of dash to the open spot. Tourist spots aren't so bad-because it's employee regulated, but some busy areas are just a mob rush to the counter.

I learned how to box people out fairly quickly.

I guess none of you guys ever saw Dumb & Dumber. It was a joke, not a very good one I guess. I never been to France & I have only met one French person in my life. Spring break 94' in Acupulco. Met a slightly older girl & I got to say she was very friendly.

Edited by Gordio

I guess none of you guys ever saw Dumb & Dumber. It was a joke, not a very good one I guess. I never been to France & I have only met one French person in my life. Spring break 94' in Acupulco. Met a slightly older girl & I got to say she was very friendly.

is slightly older like mostly dead?

Hey Spun - I hope you have a wonderful time and TBD has added some great suggestions. I am in Paris periodically because I have family there and also for some business travel. I will provide some feedback which hopefully is a bit different from previous contributions.

I like the islands in the center of Paris, Ile St-Louis and Ile de la Cité. The latter has Notre-Dame and there are other tourist sites around the islands for pics. Lots of nice bars, restaurants, specialty shops, gift shops, etc. along with viewing great architecture. Here is a link about the islands: http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/france/paris/neighborhoods/the-islands

Also enjoy stopping at a nearby outdoor market (farmers market) wherever I stay. Great fresh food (one market I went to had 10 different types of oysters which were shucked on demand), and a possibility of some good pics. You never know what may be available at these markets but I/we pick up food and eat it as we move around the city. Also saves some $ on dining if that is a concern.

Here's a link to markets by Arrondissement (sections) in Paris: http://goparis.about.com/od/farmers-markets/

Here is a link to the Arrondissements in Paris: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrondissements_of_Paris to find one near where you will be staying or ask your concierge for a nearby market.

Edited by Mr Info