NFL Network: Bills Will Challenge for AFC East Crown

Do you disagree that the offense can have a large impact on the points allowed?

i disagree with grasping at straws to avoid obvious conclusions. We made a massive mistake in hiring Rex and we are now in the early stages of dismantling a talented defensive roster because of it. Fans are sick of rebuilding projects and this is only worse because we aren't even to the inevitable re-build yet. Whaley will probably go out with the bath water and we'll be an expansion team.

Can an offense make a defense work hard? Yes. Can it cause distorted stats? Sure. Is it likely to do that for over half a decade? No. Do I have eyes and did I watch that disaster last year? Yes.

I'm sure there have been some accidents involving drunk drivers where the other driver was 100% at fault, but that is not the norm and if there was a drunk who was in six accidents the odds are very high that the drunk is at fault.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we still pretending that Rex didn't have turnover machine Sancho his first two years? It's not like that affected his points allowed too much.

Someone also crunch the numbers on a below average pass D for the last 3 years. That's yards allowed. Good thing we don't have to beat a good QB who passes a lot to make the postseason.

i disagree with grasping at straws to avoid obvious conclusions. We made a massive mistake in hiring Rex and we are now in the early stages of dismantling a talented defensive roster because of it. Fans are sick of rebuilding projects and this is only worse because we aren't even to the inevitable re-build yet. Whaley will probably go out with the bath water and we'll be an expansion team.

Can an offense make a defense work hard? Yes. Can it cause distorted stats? Sure. Is it likely to do that for over half a decade? No. Do I have eyes and did I watch that disaster last year? Yes.

I'm sure there have been some accidents involving drunk drivers where the other driver was 100% at fault, but that is not the norm and if there was a drunk who was in six accidents the odds are very high that the drunk is at fault.

To me the obvious conclusion of limiting total yards but allowing points says that they are working against a short field. Thus the offense was terrible. I don't know how else you get such a difference in rank for the two statistics.

I have read your point of view many times, and you could be right (there is a lot that you say that isn't wrong). However, I think don't think you're always leaning on your strong points, but try to make bold conclusions without having a full explanation of the data. To me, we just won't know until training camp at the earliest. I get it; you think last year was the crash and this is the burn. Others think year 2 in the systems will allow us to compete for the afc east (I'm skeptical). There is a lot of data for both sides, and you're gonna have to be patient. Focus on something else; it'll help my sanity if not yours.

Are we still pretending that Rex didn't have turnover machine Sancho his first two years? It's not like that affected his points allowed too much.

Someone also crunch the numbers on a below average pass D for the last 3 years. That's yards allowed. Good thing we don't have to beat a good QB who passes a lot to make the postseason.

I dont know what were pretending now, but without beating the Brady its going to be tough to make the playoffs let alone compete for the division.

To me the obvious conclusion of limiting total yards but allowing points says that they are working against a short field. Thus the offense was terrible. I don't know how else you get such a difference in rank for the two statistics.

I have read your point of view many times, and you could be right (there is a lot that you say that isn't wrong). However, I think don't think you're always leaning on your strong points, but try to make bold conclusions without having a full explanation of the data. To me, we just won't know until training camp at the earliest. I get it; you think last year was the crash and this is the burn. Others think year 2 in the systems will allow us to compete for the afc east (I'm skeptical). There is a lot of data for both sides, and you're gonna have to be patient. Focus on something else; it'll help my sanity if not yours.

I dont know what were pretending now, but without beating the Brady its going to be tough to make the playoffs let alone compete for the division.

FWIW I hope I'm wrong. I think Rex is a good guy and would like to see him succeed. I just don't think he is a capable coach. I also like Whaley. I see the "data on the other side" as similar to pixie dust and rainbow farting unicorns Blaming the offense for defensive failures means all means to try to look at the defense and figure out what can make it work have been exhausted without any rays of light. The Pollyanna guy says everyone fits in Rex's D and all is well and I hope he is right but it is almost like saying I just know the lottery numbers are 30 40 61 28 9 and 3. Maybe.

FWIW I hope I'm wrong. I think Rex is a good guy and would like to see him succeed. I just don't think he is a capable coach. I also like Whaley. I see the "data on the other side" as similar to pixie dust and rainbow farting unicorns Blaming the offense for defensive failures means all means to try to look at the defense and figure out what can make it work have been exhausted without any rays of light. The Pollyanna guy says everyone fits in Rex's D and all is well and I hope he is right but it is almost like saying I just know the lottery numbers are 30 40 61 28 9 and 3. Maybe.

I've heard you say you hope your wrong. Were all Bills fans so we should also be a little cynical. However, were also all sports fans so we have to be a little hopeful too. I'm skeptical this team can do much of anything. However, if the 2015-2016 Syracuse taught me anything its that exceeding expectations is sooooooo much fun. I will try to temper the inner fan in me, but he does like to have a little fun.

Newsflash: The last half decade's typical Rex defenses have all sucked. The league has figured out his system and he has not shown any capability to adjust. His brother's defenses have gotten him fired very quickly in multiple places. Now we're combining the two. Call me crazy but I don't think anyone in sees us as a front runner for the East.

Yes, the twin clowns are one trick ponies.

If we pick up a LB/DT combo in the draft that includes 2 of the darlings guys on this board fawn over I predict people will immediately switch to claiming we will win the division "now that Rex has the guys to run his defense". ..

Couple of thoughts:

1 - It's all pretty pointless to speculate on until the season actually starts... but it's fun to argue about.

2 - I feel really good about Tyrod. Not because I am certain he is a franchise-QB, but because it feels better to go into an offseason having at least a competent QB than it did the last few years going into things hoping EJ would become a decent player against all visual evidence. Our last 2 starting QBs before Taylor were Kyle Orton and EJ Manuel, almost anything is better than that.

3 - We have done a bit to shore up our depth, but we still need 2 more LBers, one OLB and one ILB.

4 - We need at least 1 early round D-lineman. After Dareus we have an aging Williams and some decent backups.

5 - Safety is a huge question mark for me; it could either be a strength of this team with both starters from last year staying healthy and returning to good form, or A.Williams could get hurt again and we're back to an inconsistent Graham without him.

6 - We could go into the year with Lawson - Brown - Brown - Hughes at LBs and be ok, but we have zero depth behind them. I don't see anyone on the roster stepping up as a solid backup. I think we pick up 2 LBs in the draft.