NFL Rule Changes Coming in 2016

They always had the right to eject a player which is why the rule is redundant and stupid. They could have ejected Norman and Beckham if they wanted to do so, but they didn't have the stones to do it.

That was a clear cut case they should have tossed them. At the very least, the ref should have gone to the coach in the TV break and said "sit him for a series to cool off, or he's out for the game" That's what refs would have done 25 years ago. At the end of the day, it is their job to keep control on the field.

Yep. The refs said afterwards that the NFL doesn't like them to eject players during games.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They always had the right to eject a player which is why the rule is redundant and stupid. They could have ejected Norman and Beckham if they wanted to do so, but they didn't have the stones to do it.

That was a clear cut case they should have tossed them. At the very least, the ref should have gone to the coach in the TV break and said "sit him for a series to cool off, or he's out for the game" That's what refs would have done 25 years ago. At the end of the day, it is their job to keep control on the field.

Fair enough, I get all that.

My problem with the change is that now it gives the refs an excuse to fall back on.

They were too chicken to toss Beckham, because back then everyone would have known it was totally up to them and their discretion. Now, they get to throw a couple flags and be like "The rule is the rule, you're gone, dont blame me".

Less accountability for the refs, and more subjective calls. Not the direction the officiating needs to be going in.

(edit: obviously, im talking about situations where the refs take over the game seemingly because they love the spotlight. it happened way too much last year. Id have no problem with them throwing 2 flags on Beckham/Norman and booting them since they deserved it. Those situations are rare and not what Im worried about)

Edited by DrDareustein

Sounds good man, and you make a valid point that has been getting discussed that it is as if the refs are given permission to toss someone. It just wasn't needed. Hey, though have a nice Easter Weekend with your family. Thank god the sun went down, i can finally eat a cheeseburger (yes I'm catholic)

Sounds good man, and you make a valid point that has been getting discussed that it is as if the refs are given permission to toss someone. It just wasn't needed. Hey, though have a nice Easter Weekend with your family. Thank god the sun went down, i can finally eat a cheeseburger (yes I'm catholic)

You too! Have a great holiday! :thumbsup:

They certainly should have been ejected and are still going at each other.

Beckham, Norman aren't done trading barbs
The most memorable feud of 2015 has some legs and they keep on walking. Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and Panthers corner Josh Norman got into a little Twitter spat on Friday.

I really think the pass interference penalty is real joke. There should be two rules "intentional pass interference" at the spot of the foul like we have today and "pass interference" which is 15 yards and a first down. I hate games coming down to a referees whistle and too often PI is pretty minor with major ramifications.

I agree with this. Its an obvious solution.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This whole "Ejection after 2nd Unsportsmanlike" rule is complete BS. Another way for the league to give ultimate power to the refs to subjectively decide games.

As noted in a previous post, only 1 player had 2 in a game last year so why do they think it's an issue?

Next time they flag Hughes for congratulating his own teammate, fans should rush the f%&$ing field.

OBJ rule

@RapSheet

Competition Committee will meet next week & vote on several new rules adjustments at the league meetings. A look at some key changes coming…

Comp. Committee expected to pass a rule making ejections automatic after 2 personal fouls. Must decide which penalties (fewer than 5) apply

Comp. Committee will tweak language on the chop block rule & the horse collar rule (i.e. grabbing the back of a nameplate) for added safety

Teams will submit proposals, but there isn't expected to be much change to what plays are reviewable. Too many unintended consequences

Finally, the catch rule won't change, either, which was expected. But the public education of the catch rule & how its officiated continues

There is no clear definition of a catch.