Nigel Bradham's comments about Rex Ryan's defense

I don't get it either....we all had high expectations for 2015 season and we flopped as a defense...why are many defending Ryan....and now we have his brother.

Because there are some who wish to defend the indefensible when it comes to a team that hasn't made the playoffs this century and looks worse than the year before. The most ignorant part is the homers typing "we're doomed", for a team that has been. Been a fan since 65' and I cried with joy when we slaughtered the Raiders 51-3... that my team had finally made it. But this switching defenses back and forth and NOT hiring a new fresh mind instead of a retread is frustrating, to say the least. I would love to be so wrong but I don't think I am. Go Bills !

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pay attention... to the facts.

Mediocrity, huh. A team that the previous two years made the playoffs and was 1st and 3rd. No Pegula team has ever made the playoffs, and have since occupied the cellar as a hot mess. Kind of like what has happened to the Bills defense under Pegula.

2010 1st Northeast Playoffs

2011 3rd Northeast Playoffs

Pegula Purchase

2012 3rd Northeast

2013 5th Northeast

2014 8th Atlantic

2015 8th Atlantic

The 2010 and 2011 Sabres won how many playoff rounds? That would be a BIG FAT GOOSE EGG. Yeah! Impressive!

Right. Let's look at one game as opposed to a full season of work.

Makes perfect sense.[/quote

Let's see, there were players that were trying to get Rex fired so they could get Jim Schwartz brought back, Mariocre did a Haynesworth, Preston Brown was too slow at making calls which is why Manny Lawson started calling plays at the end of the season, as well as it took a long time for players to learn Rex's system.

But, since you just wanted to point out how I just mentioned "one game," that one team has only lost to the Bills three times since 2001 with one of those being a meaningless end of season game. That's the team the Bills need to be most concerned with beating if they really want to make the playoffs.

I think its valid to see if a team can recover from a devastating loss like week two.

When you look at divisional rivals i think you really want see progress the second game.

Thats IS a sign of decent Coaching actually.

That's the definition of adjusting.

And certainly there should be a curve.

Bills were trending up on both defense and offense, albeit too late to salvage the season.

Lets hope the trend continues upwards !

And the zenith for that squad was 2011, after Pegula, at the behest of his hockey people, tried to add the finishing touches to the core in the hopes of competing for a cup.

That group was done.

A full tear down and rebuild was in order. The Blackhawk model.

I can't believe you cite the Sabres not making the playoffs since they blew things up as an example of ineptitude. Very shortsighted, imo.

It's actually misinformed as it was an intentional teardown.

Pay attention... to the facts.

Mediocrity, huh. A team that the previous two years made the playoffs and was 1st and 3rd. No Pegula team has ever made the playoffs, and have since occupied the cellar as a hot mess. Kind of like what has happened to the Bills defense under Pegula.

2010 1st Northeast Playoffs

2011 3rd Northeast Playoffs

Pegula Purchase

2012 3rd Northeast

2013 5th Northeast

2014 8th Atlantic

2015 8th Atlantic

Hahahaha... OMG!!! This is too funny!! Blaming the owners for deconstructioning a terribly built team that was going nowhere?! The 2010-11 Sabres had an above average goalie, a bunch of 2nd-3rd line wingers and no good centers.

The only thing I blame the Pegula's on was not firing Darcy Regier when they bought the team.

I think its valid to see if a team can recover from a devastating loss like week two.

When you look at divisional rivals i think you really want see progress the second game.

Thats IS a sign of decent Coaching actually.

That's the definition of adjusting.

And certainly there should be a curve.

Bills were trending up on both defense and offense, albeit too late to salvage the season.

Lets hope the trend continues upwards !

Thanks, and I agree, we saw a big improvement on both sides of the ball, especially on defense against the Patriots in the second matchup. I do hope the trend continues upwards as well. I'm tired of every 2-4 years of going through another coaching search, so the way I look at it, give Rex all the tools he needs to be successful and see if he can get the job done here in Buffalo. We've seen what his defenses can do in Baltimore and in NY, now it's time to deliver here in WNY.

Hahahaha... OMG!!! This is too funny!! Blaming the owners for deconstructioning a terribly built team that was going nowhere?! The 2010-11 Sabres had an above average goalie, a bunch of 2nd-3rd line wingers and no good centers.

The only thing I blame the Pegula's on was not firing Darcy Regier when they bought the team.

Thanks, and I agree, we saw a big improvement on both sides of the ball, especially on defense against the Patriots in the second matchup. I do hope the trend continues upwards as well. I'm tired of every 2-4 years of going through another coaching search, so the way I look at it, give Rex all the tools he needs to be successful and see if he can get the job done here in Buffalo. We've seen what his defenses can do in Baltimore and in NY, now it's time to deliver here in WNY.

I think thats exactly what Pegula did. By allowing Rob and Ed Reed on board.

I like that attitude from El Pegule btw.

At least now its totally on Rex without any questions.

What awesome ownership to work for.

Of course i expect them to have told Rex, ya better show us something significant this season.

So sick of the turnover in the FO.

Go Bills!

I've repeated my bright ideas numerous times here.

I think I'll save everyone the annoyance of another bash Rex ramble. Feel free to look at my history to catch up.

You have.

I respect your opinion too.

I think both meet in the middle and agree. this year is THE defining year for Rex in Buffalo

And the zenith for that squad was 2011, after Pegula, at the behest of his hockey people, tried to add the finishing touches to the core in the hopes of competing for a cup.

That group was done.

A full tear down and rebuild was in order. The Blackhawk model.

I can't believe you cite the Sabres not making the playoffs since they blew things up as an example of ineptitude. Very shortsighted, imo.

Some people just dont get it

I've repeated my bright ideas numerous times here.

I think I'll save everyone the annoyance of another bash Rex ramble. Feel free to look at my history to catch up.

So you bash my ideas, come up with one line replies, and then can't counter back. Thanks for playing!

My speculation is that Rex believed he could run his defense with the existing personnel and specifically promised as much during the interview process. I highly doubt the Pegulas would've signed up for a 2-3 year rebuild of a unit that was already a strength.

And if I'm right, Rex is on a VERY short leash, although Whaley's may be shorter.

I really do hope you are right.

For some reason our blowhard coach still has fans, but even the die hard will turn on him after he loses game after game this season with his undisciplined, ballet dancing defense.

Whaley is another problem and hopefully he will be replaced sooner than later.

Brandon, as far as I'm concerned, has no business on the payroll and should be fired perhaps as early as tonight.

Edited by Bill from NYC

In our (fans) defense...we were coming off a season with a very good defense and hired one the better defensive coaches in the league.....I think we had good reason to get hyped up.......

Very good post!

I too am tired of fans being blamed for this mess. We thought we were getting a tough, aggressive defensive mind. I bought into this, until I saw Mario and Marcel dancing around, and consistently going backwards into coverage. There is no excuse for being down more than 60% in sacks. Not one.

I enter this season with very low expectations. We rewarded poor coaching by giving Rex's brother a job. How many teams would do something this stupid?

It's actually misinformed as it was an intentional teardown.

Not at all. I understand it was intentional. But unlike so many Buffalo sports fans, I do not suffer from having such low expectations based on years of suffering and misery for having losing teams for my whole lifetime. Most fans in Buffalo have set the bar so incredibly low, they accept incompetence and losing as a way of life.

It is 2016, how many more promises of a 5 year plan for building a competitive team are you willing to accept, only to be handed another 5 year plan when the last one fails? The very fact that it was intentional is why I fault the ownership. They gutted what posters have called a "mediocre" team to build a better one. But after 4 years we now have a bottom dwelling team that is showing no signs of ever climbing out of that cellar. The facts don't lie, you can have "faith" the team is getting better, but the standings show a different story. Show me the proof, don't feed me Koolaide and beliefs.

A pattern of failure with the Sabres, and destroying the Bills defense show a repeat of a pattern. Pegula preaches consistency, but has tore down a very good Buffalo defense, brought in Rex who wants to rebuild the team in his image and brought in his brother and his record of failure. The team has made decisions that put the team in "cap hell", to "win now " last year. They "lost now" and failed.

Don't feed me platitudes and excuses. Give me a competitive team that shows me it is competitive by the only results that count, actual win/loss figures. Not with opinions and beliefs that things will be better "next year".

I am aware the gutting of the Sabres was an intentional plan, and the facts show a failure of that plan over 3 years later.

I fear the Bills will backslide this year as the result of management's new intentional plan to gut the defense and rebuild it to fit Rex's desires. I don't see any facts to prove the defense will be better this year than the one they are gutting to build it. Expecting to get more than 1 new above average starter in the defense as a rookie player in their first year in any draft year defies history and is unrealistic. All draft choices have still been shown to be a big gamble, no matter how much research or how good the scouting staff is. All the holes created by the rebuild are not going to be filled this year by the draft. And because of the incompetency in cap management, FA will not be there to help. Letting players like Bradham go is not by itself a bad plan, but doing so without a realistic plan to get a better player to replace them when they are gone is what makes it a bad plan. And this team has created holes to fill everywhere.

Edited by simpleman

Not at all. I understand it was intentional. But unlike so many Buffalo sports fans, I do not suffer from having such low expectations based on years of suffering and misery for having losing teams for my whole lifetime. Most fans in Buffalo have set the bar so incredibly low, they accept incompetence and losing as a way of life.

It is 2016, how many more promises of a 5 year plan for building a competitive team are you willing to accept, only to be handed another 5 year plan when the last one fails? The very fact that it was intentional is why I fault the ownership. They gutted what posters have called a "mediocre" team to build a better one. But after 4 years we now have a bottom dwelling team that is showing no signs of ever climbing out of that cellar. The facts don't lie, you can have "faith" the team is getting better, but the standings show a different story. Show me the proof, don't feed me Koolaide and beliefs.

A pattern of failure with the Sabres, and destroying the Bills defense show a repeat of a pattern. Pegula preaches consistency, but has tore down a very good Buffalo defense, brought in Rex who wants to rebuild the team in his image and brought in his brother and his record of failure. The team has made decisions that put the team in "cap hell", to "win now " last year. They "lost now" and failed.

Don't feed me platitudes and excuses. Give me a competitive team that shows me it is competitive by the only results that count, actual win/loss figures. Not with opinions and beliefs that things will be better "next year".

I am aware the gutting of the Sabres was an intentional plan, and the facts show a failure of that plan over 3 years later.

I fear the Bills will backslide this year as the result of management's new intentional plan to gut the defense and rebuild it to fit Rex's desires. I don't see any facts to prove the defense will be better this year than the one they are gutting to build it. Expecting to get more than 1 new above average starter in the defense as a rookie player in their first year in any draft year defies history and is unrealistic. All the holes created by the rebuild are not going to be filled this year by the draft. And because of the incompetency in cap management, FA will not be there to help. Letting players like Bradham go is not by itself a bad plan, but doing so without a realistic plan to get a better player to replace them when they are gone is what makes it bad plan. And this team has created holes to fill everywhere.

You still don't get it.

You still don't get it.

Please give me the facts of how the plan has not failed using actual team win/loss records. Giving me your opinions, your hopes, your beliefs for the future are not facts. Facts are what will educate me. Give me actual facts of how last years team, or this years TEAM as a whole is better than the pre-Pegula teams. Pre Pegula teams had numerous players who didn't just have potential, but proved their ability by their play and their player statistics as proof. Drafting a player/players who "has potential" is not a fact until he actually displays that potential. Potential is a belief, not a fact.... ??????

Edited by simpleman

Very good post!

I too am tired of fans being blamed for this mess. We thought we were getting a tough, aggressive defensive mind. I bought into this, until I saw Mario and Marcel dancing around, and consistently going backwards into coverage. There is no excuse for being down more than 60% in sacks. Not one.

I enter this season with very low expectations. We rewarded poor coaching by giving Rex's brother a job. How many teams would do something this stupid?

Fans are being blamed for the "mess"?

Really?

Please give me the facts of how the plan has not failed using actual team win/loss records. Giving me your opinions, your hopes, your beliefs for the future are not facts. Facts are what will educate me. Give me actual facts of how last years team, or this years TEAM as a whole is better than the pre-Pegula teams. Drafting a player/players who "has potential" is not a fact until he actually displays that potential. Potential is a belief, not a fact.... ??????

How has the plan failed with the team one year beyond the intended drop to the bottom with them still in the midst of the roster rebuild? You still don't get it.