Willie McGinest: Bills' D Will Come Together in 2016

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. 100%

They don't offer any more insight than a news anchor on Channel 7.

Not a thought or idea comes out of their mouth that isn't scripted, checked, rechecked, and signed off by the producer. They are given talking points and while they might say them in their own words to give the audience an impression of "their own opinion", it doesn't take much to see through it. Do you disagree?

I know I'm being a buzzkill, but come on, enough is enough. This is a suffering fanbase who would give anything for a playoff berth, and here is the NFL trying to manipulate you into thinking this year is the year, for the 16th time, so you can buy a Tyrod Taylor jersey and watch all of their Draftkings and Ford commercials.

This fanbase needs to stop buying tickets until this team is a playoff team again. They've held the Sword of Damocles over our heads for 15 years, threatening to move the team if fans stop attending, but turns out all this time there was a billionaire owner waiting in the wings. In a business, when a product sucks, you stop buying it. Period. From the business's point of view, if your product sucks and customers keep buying at the same rate, why spend money to improve it? Why fix what's not broken? And from the Bills and NFL's point of view, the Bills are not broken.

When fans stop attending, I assure you that not only will the team not move anywhere, but all of a sudden the Bills will go on a miraculous run to the playoffs. This sport isn't as fair as they're selling it as.

The NFL is waiting for nobody to show up at Bills games so that they can rig the games and give the Bills a playoff run so that people can show up at games again? I fell like I'm being trolled.

You realize that the NFL and it's teams and the television stations and their advertisers are for-profit companies, right? What do they owe you? There is no mystery or secret conspiracy behind any of it. Of course the NFL network is going to broadcast stories to keep fans interested. How they do it is nothing to crusade about. I don't think I need to wear a tinfoil hat and have you pull aside the curtain to show me the wizard. And what segment of TBD is going to take your advice and stop following their team just to show 'em?

Guys - if a defensive system is so complicated after OTA's, training camp, and a whole season they can't figure it out, that's kind of a problem. Other than hopefully they learn and maybe we get another couple of draft picks, what is leading anyone to believe we will be any better?

I appreciate all the comments as I just opened the thread again and read through it. I'm happy to be wrong, but my original point was so many of the TV analysts from both networks just say, well, they will be better because rex was good at defense. Ok, I hope Willie is right.

Now if in the draft, we pick up some real gems, and for example an OLB who fits his 3-4 scheme, then it makes sense maybe there is some hope. At this point, I just don't see it. If you are more optimistic, god bless you, and hope your right. I'll believe it when I see some solid arguments to support it.

So many analysts who don't follow the Bills closely say things like this because they just remember Rex was solid at defense so he'll just put it together. There is no substance to it.

Why are they going to be so improved?

Because we now have the legendary Ryan from NO to back up Rex when he does press conferences in matching clemson helmets and ugly Bills sweaters.

Guys - if a defensive system is so complicated after OTA's, training camp, and a whole season they can't figure it out, that's kind of a problem. Other than hopefully they learn and maybe we get another couple of draft picks, what is leading anyone to believe we will be any better?

I appreciate all the comments as I just opened the thread again and read through it. I'm happy to be wrong, but my original point was so many of the TV analysts from both networks just say, well, they will be better because rex was good at defense. Ok, I hope Willie is right.

Now if in the draft, we pick up some real gems, and for example an OLB who fits his 3-4 scheme, then it makes sense maybe there is some hope. At this point, I just don't see it. If you are more optimistic, god bless you, and hope your right. I'll believe it when I see some solid arguments to support it.

I dont, I think the defense will keep us out of the playoffs this year. Hopefully it makes Pegs cut his losses and Ryans.

The NFL is waiting for nobody to show up at Bills games so that they can rig the games and give the Bills a playoff run so that people can show up at games again? I fell like I'm being trolled.

You realize that the NFL and it's teams and the television stations and their advertisers are for-profit companies, right? What do they owe you? There is no mystery or secret conspiracy behind any of it. Of course the NFL network is going to broadcast stories to keep fans interested. How they do it is nothing to crusade about. I don't think I need to wear a tinfoil hat and have you pull aside the curtain to show me the wizard. And what segment of TBD is going to take your advice and stop following their team just to show 'em?

The NFL isn't waiting for us to not show up. They know that the Bills can miss the playoffs for another 15 years but Bills fans will continue to fill the stadium on opening day. You're a fool if you think they don't take that into account every year.

If people are going to get excited and spend money on the team, they have a right to now that the NFL network they are watching is an informercial and not true opinions by experts. That's worth bringing up.

"Crusading", "tin foil hat", "wizard". The discredit by association continues. Minus any logic.

Since both of you are resorting to ad hominem attacks and trying to discredit my opinion via disingenuous debate tactics, rather than debating my points, I know that I'm rubbing up on something you don't want me to talk about.

I'm always amazed that folks who want to stay positive and think they're being positive can't help but spread negativity by insulting fellow Bills fans. Know that there are many listening who don't feel compelled to try to stomp you out. Thanks for your fresh perspective.

Edited by Aaron

This may be one of the strangest threads yet. How did it become a dissertation on the the integrity, or lack there of in television journalism? I'm cognisent of the fact the the NFL is a business and that they protect the brand, but I don't believe that there is some great Machiavellian plot to brainwash us into joining their cult. I'm a fan, I enjoy watching football. I'm a Bills fan because of where I grew up. I like reading about the team. I like discussing the team, which is why I come to this site.It doesn't matter if McGinest's remarks are scripted, or for that matter if he is channeling Vince Lombardi. The question is will Ryan pull this defense together in 2016? Is Ryan now or was he ever a defensive genius?

Is it a conspiracy? You're the one who brought it up.

Since both of you are resorting to ad hominem attacks and trying to discredit my opinion via disingenuous debate tactics, rather than debating my points, I know that I'm rubbing up on something you don't want me to talk about.

So here's my little thesis.

All ESPN and NFL Network "NFL talk" is scripted by a team of ESPN producers and NFL company men. They choose narratives during the off-season that they want to push and work as a team to promote these narratives. This works in a couple ways. For one, it keeps fans talking about the NFL in the off-season and thinking about buying NFL merchandise and watching TV commercials. Second, it gets fans of losing teams excited for next season.

They use former NFL players and coaches to read their scripts to give the empty words a sense of authority. These former players rarely give their true opinion since it is not required, and many times frowned upon. Since the NFL is a league that values control very highly, they would not like it if ex-players would talk off-script. They might say something damaging to the league's bottom line. It is much safer to tell them what to say in order to maximize profits.

Bills fans are coming of a tremendously disappointing season where we underperformed. It would makes sense that NFL/ESPN producers would want to give Bills fans enthusiasm going into the next season to ensure season ticket and merchandise sales.

Is that a conspiracy? Or is that everyday business on a corporate level.

Makes sense.

i think we have more questions heading in to 2016 than we did heading in to 2015 where there was more fear.

we seemed to be struggling @ safety. our DL generated no pressure and our LB's look to be ineffective. we need 3 starting positions for 2016. LB, DE and LB. Arguably, we need a safety.

The only thing we shirley have locked up is CB and DT...sans Kyle Williams.

No love for Baccari Rambo? He had a few unremarkable games last year, but Safety is one of those positions you continue to grow at... Once your scheme is in place, -which it isn't... Rambo's instincts at the position make him worth hanging onto.

a healthy Kyle Williams will certainly help

Not holding out much hope for this... LOVE K-dub, but he's too vunerable to the injury bug... And quite frankly isn't the same collapsing, penetrating, force he was a few years back when he had 10.5 sacks... Without EXPERIENCED help coming off the edge, I don't see our DT's having great years... The kind of re-tooling this D requires calls for 1st, and perhaps even 2nd round picks to coach-up, then re-structure around.

It comes down to the draft. If they can get a solid DE and LB they could be back to being a monster defense again. I don't get all of the questions at safety. The backend of this defense can be very solid. They safeties were bit by the injury bug last year. lB was the problem area for this defense last year.

Solid? -No. Top Tier talent is an absolute MUST, That means your A'shawn Robinsons, and Reggie Raglands, are definitely in play if you're anywhere near serious. I agree that the secondary can be very solid... If left in tact, I think this unit could be a strength for '16-'17...