Willie McGinest: Bills' D Will Come Together in 2016

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me. NFL Network. Big difference.

Clearly that means my original point is invalid now.

Given what he knows about football as a former player and current analyst in conjunction his familiarity with the scheme/Bills' personnel/Rob Ryan I'd say you didn't make any point other than to dismiss what he said because he's on TV.

An argument can be made that going into year two, the players might have a better grasp of the system, and hopefully we'll replace Mario with someone younger and more productive. Is it a guarantee? Nope. But the argument could be made.

i need to agree here. :thumbsup:

Given what he knows about football as a former player and current analyst in conjunction his familiarity with the scheme/Bills' personnel/Rob Ryan I'd say you didn't make any point other than to dismiss what he said because he's on TV.

Given what I know about television and sports journalism, I'd say Willie McGinest is not giving his real opinion in this segment. If you feel that what you are hearing are genuine thoughts and opinions, I'm afraid to break some news to you.

Given what I know about television and sports journalism, I'd say Willie McGinest is not giving his real opinion in this segment. If you feel that what you are hearing are genuine thoughts and opinions, I'm afraid to break some news to you.

OK. :thumbsup:

We go 0 to Conspiracy, REAL quick!

Is it a conspiracy? You're the one who brought it up.

Since both of you are resorting to ad hominem attacks and trying to discredit my opinion via disingenuous debate tactics, rather than debating my points, I know that I'm rubbing up on something you don't want me to talk about.

So here's my little thesis.

All ESPN and NFL Network "NFL talk" is scripted by a team of ESPN producers and NFL company men. They choose narratives during the off-season that they want to push and work as a team to promote these narratives. This works in a couple ways. For one, it keeps fans talking about the NFL in the off-season and thinking about buying NFL merchandise and watching TV commercials. Second, it gets fans of losing teams excited for next season.

They use former NFL players and coaches to read their scripts to give the empty words a sense of authority. These former players rarely give their true opinion since it is not required, and many times frowned upon. Since the NFL is a league that values control very highly, they would not like it if ex-players would talk off-script. They might say something damaging to the league's bottom line. It is much safer to tell them what to say in order to maximize profits.

Bills fans are coming of a tremendously disappointing season where we underperformed. It would makes sense that NFL/ESPN producers would want to give Bills fans enthusiasm going into the next season to ensure season ticket and merchandise sales.

Is that a conspiracy? Or is that everyday business on a corporate level.

I trust that the genuine readers here will be able to see past the smears and read post #30 with an open mind.

i don't have a problem with your opinion at all.

there is always scripted "dialogue" part of the game. Hopefully willie has some input.

But true enough these individuals represent a brand at that level.

of course at any level media should be taken with a grain of salt and compared with other comments to reach your own conclusions , if you must reach a conclusion at all. : )

watch a world event on ABC or whatever then watch BBC view on the same event . I assure you they will differ.

and thats a good thing> we viewers need to be responsible and balance out as best we are able.

So many analysts who don't follow the Bills closely say things like this because they just remember Rex was solid at defense so he'll just put it together. There is no substance to it.

Why are they going to be so improved?

It's a complicated D that takes time to learn. Another year in the system will definitely pay dividends. They - hopefully - own't be so confused pre-snap and will be able to play faster without having to think so much.

Granted, I don't know how much they'll improve, but I think they'll definitely improve unless injuries ravage them.

I trust that the genuine readers here will be able to see past the smears and read post #30 with an open mind.

Yep, I did that.

You mean to say that every ex-jock who talks about football on T.V. is simply a cue card reader? I don't pay much attention to these shows -- I like to watch the games, so this isn't really important to me. And I've never been on the set of a T.V. broadcast but I think someone might dispute your "thesis". It just seems too far-fetched in my opinion.

Edited by snafu

Just call him a hater, Bill. It's what all the kids do these days when they don't like someone's opinion but can't debate why.

When's the last time you "debated" anything? You just pop into a thread, tell us why it's the "same old Bills," and leave. Your recent M.O. seems to be to suggest the Bills make decisions because of what they fear the "rest of the league" thinks of them. Not very hard to debate that one...

You mean to say that every ex-jock who talks about football on T.V. is simply a cue card reader?

Yes. 100%

They don't offer any more insight than a news anchor on Channel 7.

Not a thought or idea comes out of their mouth that isn't scripted, checked, rechecked, and signed off by the producer. They are given talking points and while they might say them in their own words to give the audience an impression of "their own opinion", it doesn't take much to see through it. Do you disagree?

I know I'm being a buzzkill, but come on, enough is enough. This is a suffering fanbase who would give anything for a playoff berth, and here is the NFL trying to manipulate you into thinking this year is the year, for the 16th time, so you can buy a Tyrod Taylor jersey and watch all of their Draftkings and Ford commercials.

This fanbase needs to stop buying tickets until this team is a playoff team again. They've held the Sword of Damocles over our heads for 15 years, threatening to move the team if fans stop attending, but turns out all this time there was a billionaire owner waiting in the wings. In a business, when a product sucks, you stop buying it. Period. From the business's point of view, if your product sucks and customers keep buying at the same rate, why spend money to improve it? Why fix what's not broken? And from the Bills and NFL's point of view, the Bills are not broken.

When fans stop attending, I assure you that not only will the team not move anywhere, but all of a sudden the Bills will go on a miraculous run to the playoffs. This sport isn't as fair as they're selling it as.

Yes. 100%

They don't offer any more insight than a news anchor on Channel 7.

Not a thought or idea comes out of their mouth that isn't scripted, checked, rechecked, and signed off by the producer. They are given talking points and while they might say them in their own words to give the audience an impression of "their own opinion", it doesn't take much to see through it. Do you disagree?

I know I'm being a buzzkill, but come on, enough is enough. This is a suffering fanbase who would give anything for a playoff berth, and here is the NFL trying to manipulate you into thinking this year is the year, for the 16th time, so you can buy a Tyrod Taylor jersey and watch all of their Draftkings and Ford commercials.

This fanbase needs to stop buying tickets until this team is a playoff team again. They've held the Sword of Damocles over our heads for 15 years, threatening to move the team if fans stop attending, but turns out all this time there was a billionaire owner waiting in the wings. In a business, when a product sucks, you stop buying it. Period. From the business's point of view, if your product sucks and customers keep buying at the same rate, why spend money to improve it? Why fix what's not broken? And from the Bills and NFL's point of view, the Bills are not broken.

When fans stop attending, I assure you that not only will the team not move anywhere, but all of a sudden the Bills will go on a miraculous run to the playoffs. This sport isn't as fair as they're selling it as.

:lol: I'll bet you think Herm Edwards is scripted on ESPN. Not buying it!