Corey Graham restructures contract

I did some number crunching on Graham's deal assuming it's a simple restructuring...

I assumed that the Bills converted $2.24M of Graham's $3.125M base salary into a signing bonus, which leaves his base salary at the veteran minimum $880k. Here's how the contract looks through next season:

2016 - Base $880,000 - Signing bonus - $2,120,000 - Roster bonus - $500,000 - Workout bonus - $50,000 - Cap hit - $3,555,000 - Dead cap hit if cut - $3,355,000

2017 - Base $3,225,000 - Signing bonus - $2,120,000 - Roster bonus - $500,000 - Workout bonus - $50,000 - Cap hit - $5,595,000 - Dead cap hit if cut - $2,670,000

So basically the Bills would now save $3.225M by cutting Graham next offseason, whereas before it would've been $3.775M. In exchange, Graham gets an extra $2.24M up front.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it's a simple restructuring, then it means he's either gone next year or he gets a new contract, since his cap number would rise to over $6M, but the team could save $3.4M by cutting him

you and a few others have gotten sharp with the cap stuff and maneuvering that goes on around the edges and it definitely helps the conversation - thanks for throwing out accurate concepts for everyone to think/debate on.

@buffalobillsPR

#Bills S Corey Graham has restructured his contract.

Graham started all 16 games & led the @buffalobills with 122 tackles in 2015.

http://m.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Corey-Graham-restructures-contract-with-Bills/8c21c141-7c99-4d98-b180-0df740d5e8ae

Awesome. He wants to play here. Also funny how those who bashed his tackling skills over look the fact he led the team in tackles.

Awesome. He wants to play here. Also funny how those who bashed his tackling skills over look the fact he led the team in tackles.

I like Graham. He has his faults, but all in all he's good at what he does. That said, it is rarely a good thing when a safety leads your team in tackles.

GO BILLS!!!

@mikerodak

The Bills saved $600,000 in 2016 by restructuring Corey Grahams contract. His new cap # is $4.775M, down from $5.375M.

The Bills converted Corey Grahams $500,000 roster bonus and $700,000 LTBE incentive into a signing bonus. His '17 cap increases by $600k.

The Bills did not change the length of Corey Grahams deal or adjust his base salaries in any way.

All in all, its a very minor restructure for Graham. $600k is less than half what they need to tender just one RFA at lowest level.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@mikerodak

The Bills saved $600,000 in 2016 by restructuring Corey Grahams contract. His new cap # is $4.775M, down from $5.375M.

The Bills converted Corey Grahams $500,000 roster bonus and $700,000 LTBE incentive into a signing bonus. His '17 cap increases by $600k.

The Bills did not change the length of Corey Grahams deal or adjust his base salaries in any way.

All in all, its a very minor restructure for Graham. $600k is less than half what they need to tender just one RFA at lowest level.[/quote

That's a far cry from what Sal Capaccio was guessing yesterday. He was thinking Graham's restructure would free up an additional $2m.

GO BILLS!!!

@mikerodak

All in all, its a very minor restructure for Graham. $600k is less than half what they need to tender just one RFA at lowest level.[/quote

That's a far cry from what Sal Capaccio was guessing yesterday. He was thinking Graham's restructure would free up an additional $2m.

GO BILLS!!!

Rodak has a habit of undervaluing all the Bills financial situation. Often erroneously so.

He also tends to undervalue quality writing and journalism standards but hey, what are you going to do.

He exists to convince Bills fans that everything is going/gone/will be wrong.

Once you come to terms with that filter, his content is much easier to contextualize.

To me, that context means means his analysis should be marginalized. Always.

He had a solid year in 2014 at corner.

Perhaps safety isn't a good position for him.

We have no clue which position he will play next year. A switch back to CB could happen. I think he was a better CB than S. I think he is good at both though. Edited by Manther

We have no clue which position he will play next year. A switch back to CB could happen. I think he was a better CB than S. I think he is good at both though.

no way. he lost the speed before he became a Bill.

I really thought Bills woulda balanced out Corey and Leodis and kept them both if i was the GM. both get at least 1 m less if not more, But i sure would kept em both

no way. he lost the speed before he became a Bill.

I really thought Bills woulda balanced out Corey and Leodis and kept them both if i was the GM. both get at least 1 m less if not more, But i sure would kept em both

In a perfect world, we may have kept both, but $4m+ is a lot of coin to commit to a 4th string CB.

GO BILLS!!!

In a perfect world, we may have kept both, but $4m+ is a lot of coin to commit to a 4th string CB.

GO BILLS!!!

I know, I know...

I honestly expected Grahams offer to be less. Guess Rex really does like him back there. Like he said.