A simple question from a simple-minded guy

Rubes

Well, I could definitely have put in Russell Wilson, but the main point is: why is TT's size considered "small" when it's not for guys who play other positions like SS, FS, etc, and who take and deliver hits much more often than a QB?

So your question is...why is a QB not like a FS?

What they need to do is cut down on the designed runs......let TT make plays when things break down.....continue to work with him on making plays from the pocket (I thought he made GREAT strides in this as the season went on) and get the heck down and protect himself when it is time to do so instead of fighting for that extra yard.

Now that the team is looking at Tyrod as the future.....I am quite sure there will be a huge emphasis on this in training camp this upcoming season......

Last training camp he wasnt even supposed to be the guy......just a challenge for the other 2 QBs to overcome......not anymore.

Yes and Whaley has already said flat out : "first and foremost he needs to learn how to slide"

If you ask Tyrod he might say, yeah somebody tell Roman not to give me so many freaking designed run plays and I'll be happy to slide, but if it's 3rd and 3 and he calls a qb run, I'm taking the hit for the first down every time.

Quite simple really. SS, FS, etc. are generally hitting and taking hits from people the same size as them. QBs are absorbing hits from people that could outweigh them by up to a 100 lbs or more.

Multiple good posts here.

This is the difference in a safety's survival rate over a QBs.

8and8 i agree we will see smarter play in regard to TT running and covering himself.

There is a huge difference in getting hit and being able to make a hit. As with the first you never know where you are going to get hit and with the latter, you lead with the shoulder. Also, RB's can lead with their shoulder and apply a hit. Then they also have a stiff arm to ward off the smaller DB's. WR's on the other hand, can take a vicious hit every time they catch the ball.

Taylor has already missed games because of injuries and he could have missed more time but he chose to play injured. I think the biggest injury issue we have seen is with what happened to RG3 who is slightly bigger than TT. The QB being the single most important player on the field you simply don't want him constantly taking a beating making plays.

Cam Newton is huge in comparision at 6'5'' 245 and can punish smaller tacklers. He was the 2016 MVP and was great at running the ball until the Broncos stopped him cold. What the super bowl showed is you really need a top O-line to protect the QB and build a solid run attack to help take the heat off the QB.

The Bills can be very successful with Taylor at QB provided the run him sparingly and continue to pound the rock. They also need better play from the RG, RT.

Yes and Whaley has already said flat out : "first and foremost he needs to learn how to slide"

If you ask Tyrod he might say, yeah somebody tell Roman not to give me so many freaking designed run plays and I'll be happy to slide, but if it's 3rd and 3 and he calls a qb run, I'm taking the hit for the first down every time.

Hit for 1st down is fine but he has continued past 1st down and hit/injured.

There is a huge difference in getting hit and being able to make a hit. As with the first you never know where you are going to get hit and with the latter, you lead with the shoulder. Also, RB's can lead with their shoulder and apply a hit. Then they also have a stiff arm to ward off the smaller DB's. WR's on the other hand, can take a vicious hit every time they catch the ball.

Taylor has already missed games because of injuries and he could have missed more time but he chose to play injured. I think the biggest injury issue we have seen is with what happened to RG3 who is slightly bigger than TT. The QB being the single most important player on the field you simply don't want him constantly taking a beating making plays.

Cam Newton is huge in comparision at 6'5'' 245 and can punish smaller tacklers. He was the 2016 MVP and was great at running the ball until the Broncos stopped him cold. What the super bowl showed is you really need a top O-line to protect the QB and build a solid run attack to help take the heat off the QB.

The Bills can be very successful with Taylor at QB provided the run him sparingly and continue to pound the rock. They also need better play from the RG, RT.

cannot argue against one word here ^

Hit for 1st down is fine but he has continued past 1st down and hit/injured.

learning curve

Quite simple really. SS, FS, etc. are generally hitting and taking hits from people the same size as them. QBs are absorbing hits from people that could outweigh them by up to a 100 lbs or more.

Yep. Referring back to the OP, running backs also take those hits, but often miss a couple of games along the way, but most teams are able to plan on that a little and carry two pretty good running backs.

Don't QBs have smaller pads too?

Yep. Referring back to the OP, running backs also take those hits, but often miss a couple of games along the way, but most teams are able to plan on that a little and carry two pretty good running backs.

Perhaps, but then, why don't people look for running backs to be a little bigger to be better able to absorb all those hits and perhaps not have to miss games? It's not like coaches expect running backs to miss games. I just don't get why people feel that size is okay for a running back, but the same size is too small for a QB?

Perhaps, but then, why don't people look for running backs to be a little bigger to be better able to absorb all those hits and perhaps not have to miss games? It's not like coaches expect running backs to miss games. I just don't get why people feel that size is okay for a running back, but the same size is too small for a QB?

Rbs are built differently. McCoy and Taylor might be close in size but McCoy looks more compact. Qbs aren't built for taking hits like rbs are. It's like going into a boxing match not taking a punch.

I have been real hesitant on Taylor because I'm just not a fan of smaller, mobile Qbs. The ones who truly succeed are really rare. I always think of how Mike Vick could like up the league for a year and then teams gameplan for him and he becomes less effective. I still think you want a bigger guy who can beat you with your arm. At this point, I don't see Taylor doing that.

QBs are very rarely built the same as your typical safety, WR, etc. 215 pounds can look very different on different people and I can't think of one successful QB who had the musculature of most NFL safeties. Brady Quinn did, but after he bulked up he couldn't throw a pass.

And they're in a much more exposed position when being hit when throwing. Also, the hit can come from any direction when they're running, which makes it harder to anticipate and absorb.