Rex won't change

vegas55

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's Deep! I think the problem is, you're too intelligent for us little people. Rather than sitting around here being frustrated that no one is clever enough to see the football world through your eyes, perhaps you should take your extraordinary perspectives and join the League Management chat boards. Bend the ear of the masterminds subtly altering the game. Only there, can your brilliance truly shine.From my hick perspective, running the ball was, is and will always be an integral part of the game. When you're running it, the 60 minute game clock erodes in the fastest way possible. While the clock ticks down and you have possession, the opposition is least likely to score more points than you. Incomplete passes and catches at the sidelines stop the clock, providing the opposition time to get the ball back for their offense.It's a simple game, really..

So for you, the strategy for playing this "simple game" is the exact same as it was in 1965, 1985, 1995. For you, nothing has changed (although you are dead wrong about all incomplete passes and sideline catches always stopping the clock) . It doesn't matter how MANY rule changes they make to favor the passing game, the game and strategy stay the same. For you no matter what they do to tweak the game, it simply doesn't matter. It's funny, I remember a time when running backs dominated the first round, now you are lucky if one is drafted in round one. I remember when fullbacks were actually drafted in early rounds, now they aren't even drafted. I remember a time when QBs did NOT routinely throw for 4000 yards. But hey, according to you, nothing's changed. It is a simple game, but not quite as simple as you.

Trends can change the game. Getting ahead of the curve is good business.

So now teams stock up on DBs and get thin at LB perhaps?

the trend continues at the college level. Fewer run stuffing Safeties maybe.

so the teams get lighter in the back half trying to cover all these TEs and spreads.

This is exactly why# Karloskilledit his first season in.

That's exactly right. The O was better by over 2 ppg while the D was worse by over 4 ppg. Had this D performed like last season's D I see no reason why we could not have been 12-4, perhaps a game better, with at least one victory, maybe both, over the Pats.

The problem?

Rex. He was supposed to be a D guru. Instead he merely proved the NY media 100% correct. I also think he's lost his heart to coach. He said upon coming here that this is his last coaching gig. I don't see the hunger in him for a championship that I see in other coaches. Pure speculation, but IMO he's already said F-it, I've got my 20-some million, what can they do to me but fire me, and if they do I'll take the contract money and run. If he's not going to get another coaching job he'll get every dime.

This nonsense about his D schemes being so complex is ludicrous. I'm not arguing that that's not so, but given that it is so, it's terminally impractical in today's NFL where teams are fortunate to keep their units together for two, much less three or four years. It's an uphill battle with attrition, and the now storied "continuity" since every time a key player changes there's no continuity and it threatens to derail the "understanding" of the D for the entire unit.

This season we had quite seasoned top-notch defensive players that excelled last season stating that it took them a full season to merely begin to understand Ryan's schemes. That is impractical these days. Maybe in the 80's it would have worked when you could keep a team together for the lack of free agency, but not today where players change teams like we change channels it's something that won't work. As it was in NY Ryan's scoring D's only got worse, regressing from, rather plummeting from, 1st to 24th on his watch from '09 to '14. It dropped permanently from 6th to 20th from Ryan's 2nd to 3rd seasons after having dropped from 1st to 6th from his 1st to 2nd seasons.

Is it really that suprising that ours dropped from 4th to 15th this past year? Seems to me we can expect it to drop a few more spots this season where, if history holds, it'll linger and still regress a little until Ryan's no longer the coach.

That's what the facts tell us.

I think he's a guy that's just so full of himself that he can't see clearly. He's obsessed with talk over walk and has been ever since he's been a head coach.

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results ...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• 1 month later...

Well, nobody's saying that.

By virtue of referencing TD's scored after singular 3 and outs, you sorta are. Which is why I previously wanted to hammer out terms before delving into an analysis. In the Redskins game off the top of my head, they scored on their opening drive. How does the offense having a three and out after that drive contribute to those 7 points?

:huh:

First Pats* game: following the opening drive TD, 5 consecutive drives without a first down, during which time the Pats* scored three touch downs

NYG: failed to get a first down on seven of the first NINE drives, during which time NYG scored 17 points

CIN: only 10 drives in the entire game, failed to get a first in 5 of them, including 4 consecutive drives in the first half, during which time CIN scored 17 points

JAX: if you still need details for how the offense was responsible for this loss, I can't help you.

PATS2: three consecutive three and outs in the second half, followed by a four and out, during which time Pats* scored 10 points.

WAS: Start the game with four consecutive non-scoring drives, including two consecutive three and outs, during which time WAS scored 21 points.

So, you'll have to remind me again, on what basis you're refuting my claim that stringing together three and outs had a huge impact on losses this year,

Edited by FireChan

we'll go 11-5 this year and everyone will suddenly love him

This what I think is going to happen.....

We were a top 5 D the previous year

Then we dropped like 15 spots

Through some pieces added that are better suited to his D AND a second year in the system the D IS going to improve.....

It wont be a top 5 D.....it will jump to somewhere around top 10......

and then it will come down to if the O can biuld on some things from last year......mainly 3rd down completion percentage.

and if those things happen....Rex Ryan's approval rating is going to take a spike.

This what I think is going to happen.....

and if those things happen....Rex Ryan's approval rating is going to take a spike.

Sound like your lemonade already took a spike.

Rex's defense has sucked for quite a few years with a wide range of talent. Some years he had more and some less. 2015 proved that he could make a crappy defense out of exceptional talent.

Sound like your lemonade already took a spike.

Rex's defense has sucked for quite a few years with a wide range of talent. Some years he had more and some less. 2015 proved that he could make a crappy defense out of exceptional talent.

Well were gonna find out.....

People are so upset at the dip from the 2014 defense. I am to. I also think that it is very hard to maintain that level of good. Two things I will be watching this season

- Does Schwartz have somewhat of the same level of D stats as he did with us (and of course if he doesnt people will be quick to explain it away....but whatever)

- Does the D improve under Rex.

People are so upset at the dip from the 2014 defense. I am to. I also think that it is very hard to maintain that level of good. Two things I will be watching this season

- Does Schwartz have somewhat of the same level of D stats as he did with us (and of course if he doesnt people will be quick to explain it away....but whatever)

No one has ever argued that Schwartz was some incredible defensive mind. Only that his system fit our talent like a glove. I'm surprised that you've missed that John.

No one has ever argued that Schwartz was some incredible defensive mind. Only that his system fit our talent like a glove. I'm surprised that you've missed that John.

I have have not missed that.....but there seems to be this strong believe that had Schwartz been retained we would have retained our top 5 defensive rating.......

That is not necessarily true

and regardless.....the D philosophies between Schwartz and Rex clash.....so it was not going to happen.

There is no doubt that it hurt us last year...the question is.....is the D gonna rebound?

I don't care what Scwartz's new team does. I'm not even sure who it is. Eagles?

The question about the d improving under Rex? Improve from what? The 2015 garbage? My guess is that it stays about the same and our high paid relented players all get about one year older.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Rex is a great coach, there is no doubt about that.

he was a bad fit to takeover the 2014 defense and should have never been hired by the bills.

after he is done turning over the roster, failing to make the playoffs this season, he will get canned.

wash, rinse, repeat.

Rex is a great coach, there is no doubt about that.

he was a bad fit to takeover the 2014 defense and should have never been hired by the bills.

after he is done turning over the roster, failing to make the playoffs this season, he will get canned.

wash, rinse, repeat.

Rex had an overall losing record in his extended tenure with the Jets. In his last season with that team it won 4 games. He got fired.The next year with a new coach the team won 10 games, and did it with the absence of drama and conflict that is associated with a Rex Ryan coached team.

It is not unfair to conclude that the Bills underachieved in Rex's first year in western NY. In summary, the team Rex leaves gets better and the team he comes to gets worse. What's the surprise? We got what we hired. As you indicated the hire set back a team that was making progress. Inevitably, he will be replaced with the necessity to make up ground that he lost for us.

What is handcuffing this franchise is of its own doing. The worst part of it is, as you noted, the repetitious nature of the mistakes and the resulting waste of time. The cycle of futility is fueled by its own management foolishness.

I have have not missed that.....but there seems to be this strong believe that had Schwartz been retained we would have retained our top 5 defensive rating.......

That is not necessarily true

and regardless.....the D philosophies between Schwartz and Rex clash.....so it was not going to happen.

There is no doubt that it hurt us last year...the question is.....is the D gonna rebound?

But the Eagles don't have the same personnel as the Bills. So how does what he does in Philly show anything on what he'd do in Buffalo?