Antonin Scalia dead?

Juror#8

The Senate's duty is to decide to consent or not. They are well within their rights to deny any candidate. Deal.

That's right, Obama appoints, then the Senate has a hearing and if they don't like the appointee they deny consent - what's so !@#$ing hard about that - that's called doing your !@#$ing job- now if Obama sends up four or five very qualified moderates and the senate shoots them all down it will look stupidly political but that's because it is stupidly political but that won't hurt republicans with their base anyways so what's the downside?

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's right, Obama appoints, then the Senate has a hearing and if they don't like the appointee they deny consent - what's so !@#$ing hard about that - that's called doing your !@#$ing job- now if Obama sends up four or five very qualified moderates and the senate shoots them all down it will look stupidly political but that's because it is stupidly political but that won't hurt republicans with their base anyways so what's the downside?

I disagree with that. I agree with Juror's assertion that blocking Obama's appointees will hurt them in the campaigns. Obama gets to ensure a Dem victory with his appointee choices.

Edited by FireChan

Detectives question lack of autopsy in Scalia death

Veteran homicide investigators in New York and Washington, DC, on Monday questioned the way local and federal authorities in Texas handled the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

Its not unreasonable to ask for an autopsy in this case, particularly knowing who he is, retired Brooklyn homicide Detective Patricia Tufo told The Post.

Hes not at home. There are no witnesses to his death, and there was no reported explanation for why a pillow is over his head, Tufo said.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/15/detectives-question-lack-of-autopsy-in-scalia-death/

Edited by truth on hold

I disagree with that. I agree with Juror's assertion that blocking Obama's appointees will hurt them in the campaigns. Obama gets to ensure a Dem victory with his appointee choices.

It won't hurt them with their base, no one will get primaried by voting Obama appointees down - will they some lose independents? yep as well they should but I see nothing in the Constitution that says the Senate gets to act like petulant children without political consequences.

It won't hurt them with their base, no one will get primaried by voting Obama appointees down - will they some lose independents? yep as well they should but I see nothing in the Constitution that says the Senate gets to act like petulant children without political consequences.

Washington post was reporting how in close Senate races this is already an issue with Dems demanding the Senate to do what they were elected to do and to follow the oath they swore to protect the constitution.

I don't see blocking Barry's SCJ appointees as doing much of anything WRT the election. It will energize each base equally while I don't think that Independents care whether one is confirmed now or when the new president take office.

I Agree with Senator Obama
by Charles C.W. Cooke
Senator Obama explains his attitude toward Supreme Court nominations in 2006: (http://obamaspeeches.com/046-Confirmation-of-Judge-Samuel-Alito-Jr-Obama-Speech.htm)
As we all know, there’s been a lot of discussion in the country about how the Senate should approach this confirmation process. There are some who believe that the President, having won the election, should have the complete authority to appoint his nominee, and the Senate should only examine whether or not the Justice is intellectually capable and an all-around nice guy. That once you get beyond intellect and personal character, there should be no further question whether the judge should be confirmed.
I disagree with this view. I believe firmly that the Constitution calls for the Senate to advise and consent. I believe that it calls for meaningful advice and consent that includes an examination of a judge’s philosophy, ideology, and record. And when I examine the philosophy, ideology, and record of Samuel Alito, I’m deeply troubled.
I have no doubt that Judge Alito has the training and qualifications necessary to serve. He’s an intelligent man and an accomplished jurist. And there’s no indication he’s not a man of great character.
But when you look at his record – when it comes to his understanding of the Constitution, I have found that in almost every case, he consistently sides on behalf of the powerful against the powerless; on behalf of a strong government or corporation against upholding American’s individual rights.

Now, Obama did seem to believe that once that process had started, he did not buy into the idea that the Senate has any obligation to confirm the president’s choice simply because that choice is “qualified.” It will be interesting to see if he still holds this view if/once a couple of his nominees have been rejected.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/431351/barack-obama-believed-nominees-could-be-rejected-basis-ideology

So.......................was Senator Obama correct Lefties ? ?

So NO response to Senator Obama's statement, that disagrees with every dem spokesperson on this issue ?

Not a surprise.

Also, it is a given that President Obama, knowing the political situation, will not nominate the most qualified person available, but the one who give the most political benefit to be being held up by the GOP

THAT is why it will not be as costly a move for the Republicans as many here surmise.

and for the terminally stupid.

That once you get beyond intellect and personal character, there should be no further question whether the judge should be confirmed.

I disagree with this view.

-- Senator Obama

Also, it is a given that President Obama, knowing the political situation, will not nominate the most qualified person available, but the one who give the most political benefit to be being held up by the GOP

THAT is why it will not be as costly a move for the Republicans as many here surmise.

Get beyond that in the confirmation hearing, right? And Alito was confirmed, btw

I hope Senate Repubs repeat those words by Barry when they are asked about blocking his nominees.

So NO response to Senator Obama's statement, that disagrees with every dem spokesperson on this issue ?

Not a surprise.

not a direct reply to you but I agree with Obama

The Senate has the right to deny confirmation but they have an obligation to hold a hearing - what the Republicans are is !@#$ing stupid instead of coming on TV and saying you are going to block any candidate Obama puts up for appointment or saying **** like Obama should abandon his duty to fill judicial vacancies - you hold a hearing and say we no likey said candidate.

Detectives question lack of autopsy in Scalia death

Veteran homicide investigators in New York and Washington, DC, on Monday questioned the way local and federal authorities in Texas handled the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

Its not unreasonable to ask for an autopsy in this case, particularly knowing who he is, retired Brooklyn homicide Detective Patricia Tufo told The Post.

Hes not at home. There are no witnesses to his death, and there was no reported explanation for why a pillow is over his head, Tufo said.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/15/detectives-question-lack-of-autopsy-in-scalia-death/

Now your just sounding like a crazy conspiracy theorist. Nothing like this ever happens. Hillary can win 6 coin tosses in a row. It's all good. Besides, Fox News says your a kook if you find it strange no autopsy for a Supreme Court judge which I would assume has had lots of death threat by left wing loonies. It's all good and normal just move along.

Edited by Dante

BY THEIR TWEETS YE SHALL KNOW THEM: 12 Tweets of Liberal Journalists Celebrating Scalia’s Death.

FLASHBACK: Joe Biden in 1987: President Should Weigh the Senate’s ‘Prevailing Views’ about High Court.

“The U.S. Senate has confirmed only five Supreme Court justices during presidential election years since 1912 – and the last time it happened current Vice President Joe Biden defended the Senate’s constitutional right to act as ‘a forceful constitutional counterweight’ to the president’s nominee.”

Well, sure, but that’s when we have a Republican president. When we have a Democrat in the White House, being a forceful constitutional counterweight is terroristic obstruction.

Obama Compiles Shortlist Of Gay, Transsexual Abortion Doctors To Replace Scalia.

Moving quickly to begin the process of filling the unexpected vacancy on the Supreme Court bench, President Obama spent much of the weekend compiling a shortlist of gay, transsexual abortion doctors to replace the late Antonin Scalia, White House sources confirmed Monday. “These are all exemplary candidates with strong homosexual values and proven records of performing partial-birth abortions, but am I missing anyone?” Obama reportedly asked himself while reviewing his list of queer, gender-nonconforming, feminist Planned Parenthood employees, all of whom were also said to be black immigrants. “I definitely have enough post-op transsexuals on the list, but it is a little light on pre-op candidates. And I should probably add a cop killer or two on here just to round out my options.” Sources later confirmed that Obama was attempting to rapidly narrow the list down to the single best nominee to submit to the Senate in hopes of wrapping up confirmation hearings before his choice had to leave to attend the Hajj pilgrimage.

Future historians will read The Onion and be unable to tell it from the actual news.

THIS.................................is even funnier

Reid to GOP: For the good of the country, stop your nakedly partisan obstruction.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ........................

It’s called checks and balances, Harry. Perhaps if you hadn’t rammed a hated bill through on 100% partisan lines through the abuse of reconciliation, you’d get a friendlier reception now.

BY THEIR TWEETS YE SHALL KNOW THEM: 12 Tweets of Liberal J

“The U.S. Senate has confirmed only five Supreme Court justices during presidential election years since 1912 – and the last time it happened current Vice President Joe Biden defended the Senate’s constitutional right to act as ‘a forceful constitutional counterweight’ to the president’s nominee.”

Well, sure, but that’s when we have a Republican president. When we have a Democrat in the White House, being a forceful constitutional counterweight is terroristic

Future historians will read The Onion and be unable to tell it from the actual news.

THIS.................................is even funnier

Reid to GOP: For the good of the country, stop your nakedly partisan obstruction.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ........................

It’s called checks and balances, Harry. Perhaps if you hadn’t rammed a hated bill through on 100% partisan lines through the abuse of reconciliation, you’d get a friendlier reception now.

so Joe Biden suggested the Senate should have a say once, and THAT'S justification for not doing their duty now? You are really grasping.

What the GOP is doing now is setting the precedent, and it's a really bad one.

Now your just sounding like a crazy conspiracy theorist. Nothing like this ever happens. Hillary can win 6 coin tosses in a row. It's all good. Besides, Fox News says your a kook if you find it strange no autopsy for a Supreme Court judge which I would assume has had lots of death threat by left wing loonies. It's all good and normal just move along.

I'm not sure what you are saying here - are you saying Fox news is in league with the left wing loonies? or are you saying Fox news is saying "Scalia death conspiracy theorists" are Kooks so left wing loonies are sending them "Fox News" death threats .

so Joe Biden suggested the Senate should have a say once, and THAT'S justification for not doing their duty now? You are really grasping.

What the GOP is doing now is setting the precedent, and it's a really bad one.

Actually, it's the Constitution that says that.

And their duty isn't to rubber stamp the President's nomination.

And the precedent was set about nine years ago.

Actually, it's the Constitution that says that.

And their duty isn't to rubber stamp the President's nomination.

And the precedent was set about nine years ago.

So have hearings and say no- what's so !@#$ing hard about that - but don't go on TV and say Obama shouldn't even appoint or that there won't even be hearings that's just baby ****.