History Repeats Itself -- and it's confusing

Vinaccia

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

which available de's would you have preferred they sign?

Phillip Hunt
Darnell Dockett
Mathias Kiwanuka
Evander Hood
Robert Geathers
Phil Taylor
Jason Babin
Matt Shaughnessy
Fili Moala
Brett Keisel
Tim Jamison
Cliff Matthews
Parys Haralson
Jonathan Massaquoi
Deangelo Tyson
Cheta Ozougwu
Trevor Scott
Shaun Phillips
Jermaine Cunningham
Glenn Foster
Michael Buchanan
Mason Brodine
John Youboty
Damik Scafe
Paul Hazel
Jake Bequette
Sam Montgomery
Ikponmwosa Igbinosun
Jacques Smith
James Davidson
Trevardo Williams
Dominique Hamilton
Austen Lane
Joe Kruger
Chaz Sutton
Bryan Johnson
Jordan Stanton
Tyler Hoover
Gannon Conway
Niko Davis
Leon Mackey
Sam Meredith
Jasper Coleman
David Hunter
Andrew Hudson
Ronald Talley
Cameron Botticelli
Alfy Hill
Jamal Young
Vaughn Martin
Caushaud Lyons
Zach Thompson
Michael Reynolds
Camaron Beard
James Rouse
B.J. Larsen
Steve Miller
Frank Mays
Erik Williams

I think the point was that Mario Williams should have been a grown up who made more than anyone else on the team...

stopped it there. that is not at all a worthy point because when mario showed he would not be that the coach should have pulled him, fined him, done anything.

Bro, it wasn't clever the first two times you posted it, either.

but, its true.

you'd rather let Rex continue to play a lazy, lackluster zero effort (more or less your view) player on a team where he was still in the playoff hunt? i've seen your arguments before that mario was invisible, that he had no impact, no tackles, etc. soooooo, couldn't a free agent from monroe community college fill that void?

Edited by Boyst62

Red Bryant
Kourtnei Brown
Phillip Hunt
Darnell Dockett
Mathias Kiwanuka
Evander Hood
Robert Geathers
Phil Taylor
Jason Babin
Matt Shaughnessy
Fili Moala
Brett Keisel
Tim Jamison
Cliff Matthews
Parys Haralson
Jonathan Massaquoi
Deangelo Tyson
Cheta Ozougwu
Trevor Scott
Shaun Phillips
Jermaine Cunningham
Glenn Foster
Michael Buchanan
Mason Brodine
John Youboty
Damik Scafe
Paul Hazel
Jake Bequette
Sam Montgomery
Ikponmwosa Igbinosun
Jacques Smith
James Davidson
Trevardo Williams
Dominique Hamilton
Austen Lane
Joe Kruger
Chaz Sutton
Bryan Johnson
Jordan Stanton
Tyler Hoover
Gannon Conway
Niko Davis
Leon Mackey
Sam Meredith
Jasper Coleman
David Hunter
Andrew Hudson
Ronald Talley
Cameron Botticelli
Alfy Hill
Jamal Young
Vaughn Martin
Caushaud Lyons
Zach Thompson
Michael Reynolds
Camaron Beard
James Rouse
B.J. Larsen
Steve Miller
Frank Mays
Erik Williams

stopped it there. that is not at all a worthy point because when mario showed he would not be that the coach should have pulled him, fined him, done anything.

but, its true.

you'd rather let Rex continue to play a lazy, lackluster zero effort (more or less your view) player on a team where he was still in the playoff hunt? i've seen your arguments before that mario was invisible, that he had no impact, no tackles, etc. soooooo, couldn't a free agent from monroe community college fill that void?

I am on record saying that he should have sat in weeks 16 and 17. Fact, period. Look it up.

I don't know why Rex didn't. I imagine it's because by that point in the season all the other "preferable" DE's you've listed here wouldn't really have made that much more of an impact having to get caught up to speed in less than 15 days with a defense that every player on every team Rex has ever coached says is difficult to learn.

I imagine it's also because he's the highest paid player on the team.

I am on record saying that he should have sat in weeks 16 and 17. Fact, period. Look it up.

I don't know why Rex didn't. I imagine it's because by that point in the season all the other "preferable" DE's you've listed here wouldn't really have made that much more of an impact having to get caught up to speed in less than 15 days with a defense that every player on every team Rex has ever coached says is difficult to learn.

I imagine it's also because he's the highest paid player on the team.

Why not before that?

The defense was excellent last year and this year it was a disaster. That's on Rex, for reasons mentioned above. There's no way around it.

This is the absolute truth.

It disturbs me how little accountability seems to be placed on Whaley as well. Look at just how much money was given to Hughes and Dareus. One is playing undisciplined, the other is being used as a 340 pound dancing bear. The Bills have little cap room because of this, McCoy's new contract, and Clay. Do these seem like wise moves in retrospect?

So, what did the Bills do? They gave Whaley an extension and signed another Ryan, a known loser. All we can do is hope that we don't waste our early picks on defensive backs.

It really is a sad situation.

It disturbs me how little accountability seems to be placed on Whaley as well. Look at just how much money was given to Hughes and Dareus. One is playing undisciplined, the other is being used as a 340 pound dancing bear. The Bills have little cap room because of this, McCoy's new contract, and Clay. Do these seem like wise moves in retrospect?

So, what did the Bills do? They gave Whaley an extension and signed another Ryan, a known loser. All we can do is hope that we don't waste our early picks on defensive backs.

hughes gave a lot of effort but looked to be in over his head with the system and responsibitlies.

by the end of the system it was like he relaxed and just played, but he gave up some of the responsibility it ws clear.

I imagine RR and Whaley are only alive because of TT. If he hadn't had the year he did, both would've been tossed.

I don't see how you can blame Dareus on Whaley. That is all on Rex. If Whaley signed Johnny Unitas and Rex turned him into a punter, you can't blame Whaley.

On the others there is more of an argument to be made. I agree with you to an extent on McCoy but disagree on Clay and have mixed feeling on Hughes.

I don't see how you can blame Dareus on Whaley. That is all on Rex. If Whaley signed Johnny Unitas and Rex turned him into a punter, you can't blame Whaley.

On the others there is more of an argument to be made. I agree with you to an extent on McCoy but disagree on Clay and have mixed feeling on Hughes.

You can't blame your GM for not being on the same page as his HC? Since when?

One thing I don't think is discussed enough is with Rex seemingly wanting to go all in with his scheme next year we are going to have one of most talented and highest paid linemen in the game in dareus being told to do an impression of a big fat load just eating up space every week. He is not going to be utilized to do what he does best, and he is going to be unhappy about it and it likely will effect his attitude, morale, and play (sound familiar?)

You can't blame your GM for not being on the same page as his HC? Since when?

Huh?

I recall seeing Rex in a rented car in Miami hot in pursuit of Clay. I recall the articles about them all being together when the call on McCoy came in. All 32 GMs in the league would want Dareus and Hughes has been productive to the point where letting him walk would have started a revolt. Rex did not mention that he'd have Dareus covering Beckham. I know your son hates Doug Whaley but you really need to let it go.

Huh?

I recall seeing Rex in a rented car in Miami hot in pursuit of Clay. I recall the articles about them all being together when the call on McCoy came in. All 32 GMs in the league would want Dareus and Hughes has been productive to the point where letting him walk would have started a revolt. Rex did not mention that he'd have Dareus covering Beckham. I know your son hates Doug Whaley but you really need to let it go.

We didn't re-sign Dareus until TC. Whaley was aware of what Rex was going to do. Try again.

One thing I don't think is discussed enough is with Rex seemingly wanting to go all in with his scheme next year we are going to have one of most talented and highest paid linemen in the game in dareus being told to do an impression of a big fat load just eating up space every week. He is not going to be utilized to do what he does best, and he is going to be unhappy about it and it likely will effect his attitude, morale, and play (sound familiar?)

nooooo see, thurman is gone and so is donne henderson. and rob ryan is going to make it all better!

So let Dareus walk is your strategy?

If your head coach is going to use Johnny Unitas as a punter, don't sign him to a lucrative QB contract. Or don't give a garbage HC hire your seal of approval. Or tell your owner to fire him. Lots of better ways to go about it, rather than pissing away cap space.

So let Dareus walk is your strategy?

That would make more sense than paying him untold millions to be a ballerina. I have watched Dareus play since his first college game. He is an aggressive, penetrating 340 pound lineman.

My strategy is to let him do what it was that earned him the big bucks:

Stop the run.

Disrupt passing plays with sacks and pressure.

The way Marcel was used this year was a 100 million dollar failure, and someone should be held accountable.

Count me as one who would be a lot happier if they got rid of Rex, Whaley and of course PT Brandon, who ultimately runs this circus.

That would make more sense than paying him untold millions to be a ballerina. I have watched Dareus play since his first college game. He is an aggressive, penetrating 340 pound lineman.My strategy is to let him do what it was that earned him the big bucks:Stop the run.Disrupt passing plays with sacks and pressure.The way Marcel was used this year was a 100 million dollar failure, and someone should be held accountable.

I like your strategy, but Rex would rather trick 'em than beat 'em. I tend to like Whaley though. I'm not sure how much he picked Rex as went along with the choice. I know he says they are on the same page, but what is he supposed to say? If that page says strong D and a solid running game, I'm there too. If it's 340 pound DL dropping into coverage, count me out. Rex annoys the hell out of me.

I like your strategy, but Rex would rather trick 'em than beat 'em. I tend to like Whaley though. I'm not sure how much he picked Rex as went along with the choice. I know he says they are on the same page, but what is he supposed to say? If that page says strong D and a solid running game, I'm there too. If it's 340 pound DL dropping into coverage, count me out. Rex annoys the hell out of me.

Is there an NFL team not on this page?

Exactly! For the first part and I've been attempting to relay that to Bills fans since week two against the Patriots. Marcell Dareus has been publicly stating the same thing since training camp.

It's beyond moronic to take three pro bowl D-linemen who are being paid 250 million dollars to rush the passer and then to basically ask them to NOT rush the passer and instead control the gaps so the teams crappy linebackers can make the plays :wallbash:

If this year's scheme was run intending to get the fan base mad at their 100 million dollar DE in Mario Williams.., it worked! But it was also what he was asked to do in Wrex Ryans scheme and he wasn't happy about it either. So now the team and fan base will happily see Mario on a different team for the 2016 season. The fans thinking he had a bad attitude and the FO happy they have cap room! Meanwhile, the Bills lose their best pass rushing defensive end since Bruce Smith all because a moron of a supposed defensive genius only knows how to run his scheme.

Frankly, calling Rex Ryan a moron is an insult to morons everywhere because this man is being paid 4.25 million per to screw up a playoff caliber defense and he is even below a sub-morons mentality for doing that. Now, I don't know what to think of this new ownership who's command over their team looks to be so minimal that they allow themselves to be led around by the teams GM & CEO like a calf with a nose ring. Rex Ryan should have been fired and every single person in the entire league that understands how an NFL defense works knows this now.

If it were just the defense it wouldn't be so bad as the team would have been comparable to George Edwards defense only he didn't have Jerry Hughes or Mario Williams and yet he still managed more sacks.

Ryan 21 sacks vs Edwards 29 & 27 sacks. Did I mention that the Bills defense didn't have Jerry Hughes or Mario Williams in 2010-2011?

• It was the penalties
  • It was the undisciplined play
  • it was the defensive play call coming in so late that even the slowest offenses would hurry to the line because they knew the Bills wouldn't be ready
  • it was the marginal game / red flag management during different games
  • it was watching the substitute defensive linemen jumping all over so when the ball was snapped they would be out of position
  • it was the loud mouthed blowhard giving the opponents bulletin board material as if teams needed more reasons to play harder against Buffalo
  • and the list could go on and on...

As for the second part, the Bills really didn't have those linemen dropping into pass coverage on every defensive play. But it was enough so that the players themselves complained publically! Just to give some insight into just how stupid it was to have a 331 DT dropping into pass coverage and nevermind that this player isn't supposed to run sideline to sideline even though he can. He does his best work pass rushing in a phone booth type space but now he is asked to play in a 20+ yard area chasing down a TE or RB :wacko: In that Kansas City game Marcell Dareus was dropped into pass coverage instead of rushing the passer on two of KC's TD passes!!

How Rex Ryan managed to retain his job this season is something I'll never understand and now Wrex has hired his brother Rob who was fired in NO for having the leagues near worst defense. :doh: Only in Buffalo...

You said it all. Thanks.